938Faking registration info (was RE: Public Accessible link policy)

  • Brian Sobolak
    Nov 20, 2001
      Hello Madhu,

      Monday, November 19, 2001, 9:04:03 AM, you wrote:

      MM> This may not be the place for it, but I've always given false information
      MM> for any such registration process. I was born in 1970 in the Falkland
      MM> Islands, I'm in the lowest income group, I have absolutely no hobbies,
      MM> never buy online, and my ZIP code is 90210.

      MM> All false, of course.
      MM> But they probably don't have any targeted advertising for Falkland Islands :)

      MM> Do many of you do that too?

      Indeed. But I don't discriminate against just websites. I also do
      this on grocery store frequent buyer clubs, ordering pizza, and
      magazine subscriptions. billg has received a few Safeway Club Cards
      from me, and most people still give you a funny look when you give a
      very assumed name when ordering a sandwich (tuna on rye
      for...Batman?)

      It can be a useful technique for more than just identity hiding. I
      would give a fake title at most of the technical conferences I've
      attended, and then proceeded to see how they sell my name based upon
      the mail I receive with the fake title.

      brian

      --
      Got work? http://www.planetshwoop.com/resume/