Library Subject and Organization Systems as Ontologies

  • Gerry Mckiernan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 1998
      Library Subject and Organizational Systems
      as Ontologies

      In preparation for a presentation and paper, I am greatly interested in
      learning about any and all
      research that views and analyzes established Library
      Classification Systems (e.g L of Congress Classification, Dewey, Colon, etc.) as
      Ontologies.

      I am also interested in any work that views
      Controlled Vocabularies as Ontologies, specifically
      in application as Index Terms or Descriptors, and in a formal Thesaurus
      structures. I am particulary interested in efforts that conceptualize Cross
      Reference (BT, NT, RT) structures in Online Systems
      as Ontologies.

      For background information about Ontology, I strongly recommend the
      MIKROKOSMOS ONTOLOGY resource
      page as well as its major links, at:

      http://crl.nmsu.edu/Research/Projects/mikro/htmls/ontology-htmls/onto.index.html

      As Always, Any and All citations, sources, contributions, critiques,
      questions, concerns,
      comments, or queries are Most Welcome!

      Joy!

      Gerry McKiernan
      Curator, CyberStacks(sm)
      Iowa State University
      Ames IA 50011

      gerrymck@...
      http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/

      "The Best Way to Predict the Future is To Invent It!"
      Attributed to Peter Drucker