The Next WAVe(sm): Auditory Browsing in Web and non-Web Databases

  • Gerry Mckiernan
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 1998
      _The Next WAVe(sm):_
      Auditory Browsing in Web and non-Web Databases

      I am pleased to announce the formal establishment of _The Next
      WAVe(sm)_, a new clearinghouse devoted to Auditory Browsing in Web
      and non-Web databases. The URL for _The Next WAVe(sm)_ is:

      http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/Wave.htm

      I believe that the projects, research, products and services profiled in
      _The Next WAVe(sm)_ will be of interest to librarians and computer
      scientists alike who seek to enhance access to Web information sources
      as well as information found in conventional database systems.

      For those who have limited knowledge about Auditory Displays, I
      strongly recommend reading any and all of the excellent papers from the
      first international conference on auditory display organized by the
      International Community for Auditory Display (ICAD).

      Gregory Kramer (editor), AUDITORY DISPLAY: SONIFICATION,
      AUDIFICATION AND AUDITORY INTERFACES Addison-Wesley Publishing
      Company, Inc., Reading, Massachusetts, 1994. ISBN 0-201-62603-9

      This volume is a seminal work in the field. [I strongly recommend that
      every research library obtain a copy for their collections.]

      I also strongly suggest a visit to the ICAD homepage at
      http://www.santafe.edu/~icad/

      I believe that both the able and disabled will find the efforts profiled in
      _The Next WAVe(sm)_ to an important resource of value for facilitating
      access to Web resources.

      I am greatly interested in developing this clearinghouse further and
      would greatly appreciate learning of other research, projects, products,
      and services in the following areas:

      Auditory exploration of data via sonification
      Audification (audible playback of data samples)
      Real Time monitoring of multivariate data
      Sound in Immersive Interfaces (Virtual
      Environments)
      Perceptual issues in Auditory Display
      Sound in generalized computer interfaces
      Technologies supporting Auditory Display creation
      Data handling for Auditory
      Display systems Applications of Auditory Display

      I am particularly interested in projects in Assistive Technology as
      well as auditory or multimodal access in computer interface and the use
      of sound in data mining and Knowledge Discovery in Databases (KDD)
      [For information about DM and KDD, see my Four-T-Nine-R(sm) project at:
      http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/4T9R.htm%5d

      _The Next WAVe(sm)_ is the second in a series of three planned
      clearinghouses devoted to Sensory Information Navigation (SIN) [:->].
      _The Next WAVe(sm)_ complements _The Big Picture_, my
      clearinghouse devoted to Information Visualization available at

      http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/BigPic.htm

      As always, Any and All suggestions, comments, critiques, queries,
      questions and/or contributions are most welcome.

      Regards,

      Gerry McKiernan
      Curator, CyberStacks(sm)
      Iowa State University
      and
      Science and Technology Librarian
      Iowa State University Library
      152 Parks
      Ames IA 50011

      gerrymck@...
      [http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/%5d

      "The Best Way to Predict the Future is To Invent It!"
      Attributed to Peter Drucker