About "website user agreements"

  • Hoffman, Terry
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2005
      Message
      Happy '05 to all!

      This isn't about analytics, but it might be of interest to this group.

      I was about to book a hotel room with Coast Hotels in British Columbia when I decided to check out their "website user agreement". It's a full page of disclaimers that are intended to protect Coast from just about any error or online problem you can imagine. But this bit was a real eye-opener:

      <snip>

      Disclaimer

      Coast is providing the Site, on an "AS IS, AS AVAILABLE" basis to users. YOU USE THE SITE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither Coast nor any of its officers, directors, employees, owners, agents, third-party content providers, sponsors, licensors, or the like, makes any representations or warranties, either express or implied, to You

      that the Site will be uninterrupted or error-free,

      as to the results that may be obtained from the use of the Site,

      as to the accuracy, timeliness or completeness of content or services provided through the Site, or

      as to the receipt, storage, transmission or other use of your personal information.

      THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT PERSONAL INFORMATION AND TRANSACTIONS ON THIS WEB SITE OR ON THE INTERNET WILL BE MAINTAINED CONFIDENTIAL AND SECURE. <snip>

      I've checked similar statments on other hotel sites and found them to be 180 degrees different from the above. It seems to me that in the current web-privacy environment, this is a surprising (shocking?) statement. (For those interested, the entire statement can be found here: http://www.coasthotels.com/home/terms.cfm)

      Thoughts?

      Terry6

    • Jack E. Pinckney
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2005
        My 2 cents worth...Coming from an internet security
        background. Nothing on that web site is secure.
        Encryption is missing or never was in place.

        JP

        =====
        "If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes."

        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250