Peripheral software to support analytics

  • Jenn
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hello all,

      I was just wondering if anyone in the group had any suggestions for
      peripheral software to support the analytics function -- aside from web
      analytics software itself. Does anyone use mathematics software, for
      example, for complex calculations? How about online marketing software,
      such as for search engine positioning? Any suggestions or caveats would
      be appreciated.

      Thanks so much,
      Jenn Burke
      Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
    • JS
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
        I use SPSS to perform statistical analyses on usage data, usually
        tying in other data points like account information, advertiser info,
        etc. SPSS will allow you to look at correlations between content and
        user attributes, run affinity analyses, etc. It can also help to
        eliminate outliers and anomoly data when calculating metrics.

        The other piece of software I use a great deal is Microsoft SQL
        server. It has the ability to extract and transform raw data which
        can be very helpful. Also, in MSSQL 2005 there are many data mining
        tools you can use such as fuzzy groupings/lookups of data, which can
        be good for search term analysis and data cleansing (it helps because
        user supplied data is never uniform), and data merging, sampling, etc.

        But those two require that you can extract raw data from your
        analytics system or that it has a data warehouse component. And both
        of them require a substantial understanding of data, statistics, and
        databases. MSSQL requires some database programming and scripting as
        well.

        Search engine rankings can be tracked using something like WebTrends'
        WebPosition.

        For competitive intelligence/audience measurement tools you have
        these three major ones to choose from: Nielsen//NetRatings, ComScore
        MediaMetrix, and Hitwise.

        There is a tool for every task, and generally a competitive market
        for every tool, so it's difficult to address your question without a
        little more specificity about your needs.

        Oh, and by the way, everything I've mentioned above is fairly pricey
        (depending on your definition of pricey).
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
          I've been toying around with 'R' for doing various statistical
          calculations and graphing recently. More so from a performance
          tracking perspective, but with a goal towards using it elsewhere.
          http://www.r-project.org/
          R is GPL'd and hence free. Aside to Stephane: One of your comments, I
          think on Avinash's blog, mentioned box plots? R can do those quite
          easily.

          To give an idea of how easy R is to use, here's an article I wrote
          back in October:
          http://www.stedee.id.au/Apache_WebSite_Responsiveness

          I make use of the various reports that Google allows one to pull out
          of their "Webmaster Tools". While I've not yet written a summary
          script, a goal is to grab the many months worth of accumulated data
          and see if anything useful or interesting is in there.
          We basically use these reports to identify those queries that users
          should be coming to us for, but for whatever reason, aren't. Generally
          it''s pretty obvious - slack copy.
          Google Trends is also useful as a comparator. We're getting "10
          #traffic" from word A, and 20 for phrase B, but trends shows A should
          be triple that of B! What can we do to make A better? Style of thing.

          Robbin's pointed me to the Overture keyword selector tool which I've
          found very useful. I just keep forgetting about it.
          http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/

          You may have seen it already, but Avinash had (yet another.Ho Hum. ;-)
          ) great article on various external tools:
          http://www.kaushik.net/avinash/2007/01/five-free-advanced-web-analytics-examples-look-outside-think-different.html

          Otherwise much as Jerome, Database (in our case Oracle) and/or
          spreadsheets. The spreadsheets more for the aggregation of data over
          long periods of time.

          As I tend to roll my own tools based on need as well, I'll use the
          basic set of building blocks from a unix command line:
          [ef]?grep, cut, sort, uniq, awk or perl for more complex cases.
          There's a basic example of that in the aforementioned article in the
          section marked "pre-analysis".

          HTH?
          Cheers!

          - Steve

          Disclaimer: Despite the above repeated references to Avinash, I derive
          no financial kickbacks or other renumeration from any traffic sent to
          his web site. I am merely a Blog-Groupie of his. :-)
        • JS
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
            I've only downloaded a trial copy and haven't dug into to it much,
            but I have a friend that has been using SAS's JMP software:
            http://www.jmp.com/

            It has some good visualization/graphing tools, can connect to DBs,
            and focuses on the reuse of setups.

            And the cost is pretty low for something like that.
          • Jenn
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2007
              Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions. Much appreciated!

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Jenn" <jrlburke@...> wrote:

              > Hello all,
              >
              > I was just wondering if anyone in the group had any suggestions for
              > peripheral software to support the analytics function -- aside from
              web
              > analytics software itself. Does anyone use mathematics software,
              for
              > example, for complex calculations? How about online marketing
              software,
              > such as for search engine positioning? Any suggestions or caveats
              would
              > be appreciated.
              >
              > Thanks so much,
              > Jenn Burke