Making the case for switching to page tagging

  • maureen.malloy
    Message 1 of 42 , Jan 16, 2007
      Hi! I am researching options for website analyis for a site I'm working
      on. We are currently using Urchin v5.7.03 using log file analysis (no
      cookies, etc; using IP + User Agent as a tracking method). I want to
      build a case to make the switch to page tagging and am now collecting
      evidence that will help show that the benefits of a more accurate
      solution will outweigh the cost and time of implementing the tags.

      1) The site targets the Chinese market.
      2) Most of the pages are .aspx with flash elements within the pages.
      3) It is a marketing/business site business model, not online commerce.

      Any thoughts? I know there are some accuracy issues with tracking flash
      using log files but don't know them specifically. Thanks!

      ~Maureen
    • gangel.semphonic
      Message 42 of 42 , Feb 2, 2007
        Despite the prevailing industry spin about a "multiplier" Paul's
        experience looks to us to be fairly typical. We (Semphonic) have
        measured this effect repeatedely for clients and have found - not
        surprisingly - a wide range of results. In every case, there has
        been "incremental" lift (buying PPC ads didn't actually lose total
        clicks). However, in most cases, far from being a multiplier the
        client experienced at least some cannibalization of organic
        listings. In other words, just as in Paul's experience, there was a
        measurable (and in some cases quite large) decrease in organic
        clicks. I've written about this several times including this DM News
        article http://www.dmnews.com/cms/dm-news/search-
        marketing/35918.html and here http://www.adotas.com/2006/06/sem-
        marketers-are-missing-out-seven-ways-to-mis-measure-your-sem-program
        in ADOTAS.

        The bottom line is that while we have occasionally seen cases where
        there is some multiplier effect (though nothing like the 6x
        mentioned - the biggest jump we've ever actually measured was about
        15%) it is much less common than cannibalization (which we've seen
        top 50%). Because experience has been so varied I, like Paul, urge
        you measure if for yourself. But whatever you do - don't simply
        accept the fact that PPC will boost your organic click-through. This
        myth has been repeated so often (not always without bad motive) that
        even well-meaning practictioners have come to accept it as true. But
        saying something over and over don't make it so!