Re: landing page stickiness KPI

  • Paul Holstein
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 29, 2006
      Off hand, I'd say that "single access page visits" is the same as
      "Single access page views." This could be semantics of WebSiteStory.
      Does anyone know the exact definition of this metric?

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "sflynn7459" <sflynn7459@...> wrote:

      > Sorry if that was not clear. The metrics I have available to me are
      > single access page visits and entry page visits. I was questioning
      > whether I could use these two to measure landing page stickiness
      > instead of single access page views and entry page views. Will
      > working with visits still keep the equation accurate? My guess is
      > yes but I wanted confirmation from others.
      >
      > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Holstein" <paul@> wrote:
      > >
      > > It's really hard to determine from your post what metrics are
      > > available to you. To measure page stickiness, you really need to
      > know
      > > single access "page something." The only soft part of the equation
      > > might be the entry page views versus total page views. However,
      > entry
      > > page views would definitely be the better measure.
      > >
      > > I'm not sure what your last sentence means. If you meant "single
      > > access visits against single access visitors, then you would be
      > > measuring visitor stickiness and not page stickiness.
      > >
      > > Please tell us exactly what metrics you have available.
      > >

      > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "sflynn7459" <sflynn7459@>
      > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Online and in mulitple books I've seen landing page stickiness
      > measured
      > > > as 1 - ( single access page views of a page/entry page views for
      > the
      > > > same page). Is it accurate to measure this by visits instead of
      > page
      > > > views? We're a WebSideStory customer and they don't report
      > single
      > > > access pages by page views. As long as we are measuring visits
      > against
      > > > visits would that work?

    • Steve
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 31, 2006
        Anil,
        it sounds like you're heading down the path similar to Eric's blog
        discussion on engagement.

        Up until mid 2006 ish, I used to do a fairly convoluted and
        approximate analysis of bookmarked pages and their return rates and so
        on. Sadly the methodology used is no longer valid, as the method of
        approximating bookmarkings (MSIE + favicon.ico request) has become
        too polluted with unfilterable (easily) false positives. Additionally,
        ignoring the impact of Firefox and friends was always prone to ever
        increasing rates of error.

        So I suppose having done the sort of analysis you're referring to, it
        is useful information - more so as you're analysing over longer
        periods - eg months to a year or longer. I typically would compare
        year to year. Useful in setting content goals. But is also but one
        facet of that equation.

        Slicing and Dicing on Single Page access? Could be done fairly easily.
        Would it tell you anything immediately actionable? Unsure. Tho leaning
        to probably not.
        I would suggest its the sort of analysis that leads to greater
        understanding of how your site is used, but not otherwise directly
        useful. Good background stuff tho.

        Once a week? Well, not speaking for work, :-) if we help someone once
        per lifetime then we have achieved success. Given the nature of the
        site & content etc, I'd be thrilled to see a return every 6-12 months.
        Don't have access to the raw data right now - hey it *is* New Years
        Eve after all. :-) but seem to recall from the last time I looked,
        that we had some cookies that showed up in the logs with gaps > 365
        days.
        Hundreds to thousands in that bunch from memory.

        Thoughts?

        - Steve

        On 12/30/06, Anil Batra <batraonline@...> wrote:
        > I however think there are more metrics (depending on the sites goal) that
        > should be used to calculate entry page stickiness. For example, if a user
        > enters the site on page, find what he/she is looking for, book marks and
        > comes back to that page once every week, is that page sticky enough? I think
        > it is if this is a content site, what do you say? It is not driving more
        > page views but is bringing the user back. The point is that this formula is
        > good starting point but then you have to look at your specific business
        > goals and the revise the formula.
      • milesbennett78
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 31, 2006
          I would have thought that landing page stickiness would be best
          measured by how many people visit that page and the time they spent
          on it.

          WebSideStory (using the hbx.lt option variable) will also be able to
          measure which links where clicked.

          If the page is a quick loading page then perhaps it is best to put
          the WSS page tag at the top of the page to ensure that you are
          getting the highest degree of accuracy.

          All the best

          Miles

        • Sivanesan
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 31, 2006
            If you are measuring the performance of the landing page in terms of
            drop out rate or bounce rate then entry page/single access page
            metric would be a good indicator.

            However, if u are measuring the stickiness of the landing page I
            would suggest other metrics like average page visits per visitor or
            average time spent on the page.

            I don't know much about finding the single access report in
            websidestory, however other tools like Index Tools and Google
            Analytics uses the term "Bounce rate report" which is similar to
            single access report.

            For more information on the same refer to the below url

            http://www.kaushik.net/avinash/2006/12/standard-metrics-revisited-
            top-exit-pages.html#comments