Best practices for JavaScript tags

  • jay.allen@cutterbuck.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 2006
      We've run into a bit of an odd problem. We launched a new search that
      goes directly to an item detail page when a customer types an item
      number in the search box. All other queries go to a search results page,
      where we fire off a JavaScript tag to capture our analytics.

      So the problem is that for the queries that enter an item number, we
      never capture their search term. We also measure conversion on those who
      searched versus those who did not - and this isn't being captured
      either. There's a couple of ways to fire off the JavaScript, but I'm
      wondering if there is a best practice here. Should we insert a hidden
      page that has the js and pushes to the item detail? Or should we capture
      the information on the item detail page?

      Any thoughts are appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Jay Allen

      Cutter & Buck

      Ph. 770-410-4700 x4708

      Fx. 770-410-4701

      1225 Old Alpharetta Rd, Suite 200

      Alpharetta, GA 30005

    • pint4mh
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2006
        Jay,

        Are you saying that your search script loads the item detail page in
        an AJAX style?

        If this is the case then you could send a request to a dummy tracking
        page via your AJAX protocol. (Similararly to the process for tracking
        Flash sites)

        Alternativly depending upon how your current server side scripts work,
        a variable containing the search term must be going to some page to
        know what content to load. If this is the item detail page then you
        could send the variable over the GET protocol and track those requests
        via a report which shows the page breakdown for your item pages.

        Neither of these options are stunningly slick so if anyone else has
        some more elegant solutions i'd be interested also.

        Thanks

        Matt Hopkins
        http://www.sclanalytics.com

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, <jay.allen@...> wrote:

        > We've run into a bit of an odd problem. We launched a new search that
        > goes directly to an item detail page when a customer types an item
        > number in the search box. All other queries go to a search results page,
        > where we fire off a JavaScript tag to capture our analytics.
        >

        > So the problem is that for the queries that enter an item number, we
        > never capture their search term. We also measure conversion on those who
        > searched versus those who did not - and this isn't being captured
        > either. There's a couple of ways to fire off the JavaScript, but I'm
        > wondering if there is a best practice here. Should we insert a hidden
        > page that has the js and pushes to the item detail? Or should we capture
        > the information on the item detail page?
        >

        > Any thoughts are appreciated.
        >

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Jay Allen
        >
        > Cutter & Buck
        >
        > Ph. 770-410-4700 x4708
        >
        > Fx. 770-410-4701
        >
        > 1225 Old Alpharetta Rd, Suite 200
        >
        > Alpharetta, GA 30005

      • Zeljka Stojanovic
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
          Matt,

          How do you do that - "send a request to a dummy tracking page via your AJAX protocol. (Similar to the process for tracking Flash sites)" ?

          Hope you don't mind sharing that knowledge or pointing to any resources.

          Many thanks,

          Zeljka Stojanovic

          Are you saying that your search script loads the item detail page in
          an AJAX style?

          If this is the case then you could send a request to a dummy tracking
          page via your AJAX protocol. (Similararly to the process for tracking
          Flash sites)

          Alternativly depending upon how your current server side scripts work,
          a variable containing the search term must be going to some page to
          know what content to load. If this is the item detail page then you
          could send the variable over the GET protocol and track those requests
          via a report which shows the page breakdown for your item pages.

          Neither of these options are stunningly slick so if anyone else has
          some more elegant solutions i'd be interested also.

          Thanks

          Matt Hopkins
          http://www.sclanaly tics.com

          --- In webanalytics@ yahoogroups. com, <jay.allen@. ..> wrote:

          > We've run into a bit of an odd problem. We launched a new search that
          > goes directly to an item detail page when a customer types an item
          > number in the search box. All other queries go to a search results page,
          > where we fire off a JavaScript tag to capture our analytics.
          >

          > So the problem is that for the queries that enter an item number, we
          > never capture their search term. We also measure conversion on those who
          > searched versus those who did not - and this isn't being captured
          > either. There's a couple of ways to fire off the JavaScript, but I'm
          > wondering if there is a best practice here. Should we insert a hidden
          > page that has the js and pushes to the item detail? Or should we capture
          > the information on the item detail page?
          >

          > Any thoughts are appreciated.
          >

          > Thanks,
          >
          > Jay Allen
          >
          > Cutter & Buck
          >
          > Ph. 770-410-4700 x4708
          >
          > Fx. 770-410-4701
          >
          > 1225 Old Alpharetta Rd, Suite 200
          >
          > Alpharetta, GA 30005

        • pint4mh
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
            Zeljka,

            Sure, no problem.

            First you need to have your AJAX functions in your web page. See
            http://giraffenecks.com/tutorials/index.php?ID=14 for a general idea
            of the Javascript functions for calling a web server in the background.

            Then use the http.open method to call your dummy web page of choice.
            This could be an empty html file, as long as it doesnt produce an
            error 404 result. Append your tracking variables to the query string
            on the end of the requested html file. And there you have left your
            little 'breadcrumb' for your analytics solution to pick up.

            Hope that helps

            Matt Hopkins
            http://www.sclanalytics.com

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Zeljka Stojanovic

            http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

          • tim.wilson@ni.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
              Seems like another option would be to use an onclick event on your search
              button. Coming from the point-of-view of WebTrends, which makes it pretty
              easy to fire a page tag off as part of an onClick event. But, I assume
              this approach will work with other vendors as well. This does, of course,
              measure the search slightly upstream of the search result / item detail
              page loading.

              HTH.

              Regards,
              Tim Wilson