Strange referrer in my log

  • mr_awesome77
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
      i found this one recently and it has cookies and even buys stuff.
      at first i thought it was an internal script or some sort of bot.
      until, yes.. i saw it buy stuff.

      http://v3/executer/script.aspx?step=175685

      thats in the referring field of the logfile and referrer report

      wierd.

      anyone seen this before?
      any ideas where to start. I did google it with no luck whatsoever..

      cheers
      jon
    • mcarthur_kevin
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
        This appears to be a referal from a (likely corporate) lan
        webserver. v3 could be very well a valid domain if you have control
        over the dns servers.

        My best guess is that someone refered it out of a corporate webmail
        or forum system.

        It could also be a faked referer as referer data is just a simply
        http header, but my money is on the former.

        Kevin McArthur
        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "mr_awesome77"
        <jon.bovard@g...> wrote:

        > i found this one recently and it has cookies and even buys stuff.
        > at first i thought it was an internal script or some sort of bot.
        > until, yes.. i saw it buy stuff.
        >
        > http://v3/executer/script.aspx?step=175685
        >
        > thats in the referring field of the logfile and referrer report
        >
        > wierd.
        >
        > anyone seen this before?
        > any ideas where to start. I did google it with no luck whatsoever..
        >
        > cheers
        > jon
      • Jim MacIntyre
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2004
          Many of the corporate/government agency procurement systems have purchasing
          modules built in where folks can buy from an approved list of products on an
          internal/intranet catalog and the order will be executed by a centralized
          purchasing module. Products like Ariba and CommerceOne or custom versions
          of the same could be set up to do this. What type of products do you sell?
          Look up the IP number on www.arin.net to start if you haven't already.

          Hope that helps.

          Jim MacIntyre
          Visual Sciences

          <jon.bovard@g...> wrote:

          > i found this one recently and it has cookies and even buys stuff.
          > at first i thought it was an internal script or some sort of bot.
          > until, yes.. i saw it buy stuff.
          >
          > http://v3/executer/script.aspx?step=175685
          >
          > thats in the referring field of the logfile and referrer report
          >
          > wierd.
          >
          > anyone seen this before?
          > any ideas where to start. I did google it with no luck whatsoever..
          >
          > cheers
          > jon

          Web Metrics Discussion Group
          Moderated by Eric T. Peterson