Re: Google Web Accelerator & log files

  • Sivanesan
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006
      Jeff,

      I think you can use Prefetch HTTP Request Reject Header to overcome
      this problem. You can get more information on this from the below
      urls.

      http://webaccelerator.google.com/webmasterhelp.html

      http://37signals.com/svn/archives2/google_web_accelerator_hey_not_so_
      fast_an_alert_for_web_app_designers.php

      Regards
      Sivanesan

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "jsbellsey" <jb@...> wrote:

      > Hi all --
      >
      > I haven't seen any discussion about this here. Does anyone have any
      > insights into how to deal with GWA and its ilk?
      >
      > Briefly: GWA pre-fetches pages to make web browsing faster. But for
      > those of us doing log file analysis (*cough*), it will look like a
      > person has done a lot more clicking than they actually have.
      >
      > So...how do we differentiate between *actual* clicks and
      GWA "clicks"?
      > And how big an issue is this?
      >
      > Thx,
      > Jeff Bellsey

    • Craig Scribner
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2006
        Does prefetching only pose a problem to weblog analytics solutions? I
        mean, do it leave the calls untouched when they're assembling the
        potential pages in the background? If not, it would pose serious
        problems to our pathing analysis, and we'd have to put some if-then
        logic around our JS include.

        ________________________________

        <mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com> , "jsbellsey" <jb@...> wrote:

        > Hi all --
        >
        > I haven't seen any discussion about this here. Does anyone have any
        > insights into how to deal with GWA and its ilk?
        >
        > Briefly: GWA pre-fetches pages to make web browsing faster. But for
        > those of us doing log file analysis (*cough*), it will look like a
        > person has done a lot more clicking than they actually have.
        >
        > So...how do we differentiate between *actual* clicks and
        GWA "clicks"?
        > And how big an issue is this?
        >
        > Thx,
        > Jeff Bellsey

      • Fred Kuu
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2006
          According to the page Sivanesan provided, prefetching will not execute
          Javascript in the prefetched page. For JS-based analytics,
          prefetching shouldn't be an issue.

          For folks analyzing log files, look at 4. on that same page. You
          should be able to filter prefetch requests from log files (though I've
          never gone through the exercise myself).

          Cheers!
          Fred Kuu

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Craig Scribner"