Identifying traffic from online advertising

  • richgrog
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2006
      Hello all,

      Here's my issue:

      I work in an ad agency, which does a lot of online creative for our
      clients. One of my clients asked us to pull together an analysis of
      site traffic during the time an online advertising campaign was
      running. We were brought in after the campaign went live so we had
      no opportunity to suggest the use of campaign variables for
      tracking. Our client uses WebTrends as their web analytic tool. I
      was looking at referring sites and noticed that the visits associated
      with the DoubleClick domain was significantly lower than the clicks
      on OLA units that should have been driving traffic to the site (7,757
      visits vs. 206,428 clicks). These are Flash OLA units and I've seen
      Flash units with as high as 50% drop-off rates, but this doesn't
      account for the loss of all these visits to the site that should be
      attributed to the OLA campaign. The media agency didn't tag the
      landing page so I can't get a number from DART. Could it be that all
      the other visitors are being bucketed in with the Direct/Bookmarked
      traffic? Why would some be associated with the DoubleClick domain
      and others not?

      Thanks for your help in advance,

      Rich Grogan
    • Matt Belkin
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2006
        Rich,

        There can be many reasons for these discrepancies. Unfortunately it's
        quite difficult to pin down given your circumstances. One major issue
        is that referrers can be stripped in some cases, but not in others.
        This is particularly the case with Flash, if not structured properly.

        Also, bear in mind that clicks as reported by DoubleClick do not equal
        visits as reported by your site analytics tool. In fact, there are
        usually major differences in just clicks reported by an ad server vs
        clicks reported by a site analytics tool. I've seen as much as 70%
        difference in clicks alone. Since you can record multiple clicks per
        one visit, this difference become exacerbated when comparing clicks from
        an ad server to visits from site analytics.

        I realize this situation isn't ideal, but one option you have is to look
        at traffic to the landing page before and during the campaign period.
        If you set a pre-campaign baseline, then extrapolate that out during the
        campaign period, you can get some sense of lift. If you have other
        landing pages that were not used during this campaign period, I would
        also recommend using those as a control to account for any site-wide
        lift that may have occurred during the same timeframe.

        Hope that helps!

        Matt

        Matt Belkin
        Vice President, Best Practices Group
        Inside Web Analytics - Check the blog today!
        <http://www.omniture.com/blog?s_scid=belkin_tag>

        550 East Timpanogos Circle
        Orem, UT 84097
        www.omniture.com <http://www.omniture.com>