Re: [webanalytics] Re: GA resources - Polite reminder...

  • Mr.Amandeep Singh
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 5, 2006
      I saw this, is it better search?

      http://www.nabble.com/Web-Analytics-Forum-f15162.html

      On 9/5/06, Mr.Amandeep Singh <singh.amanque@...> wrote:

      > Yahoo search sucks big time, I agree. Besides keywords are so common
      > among posts.
      > Last time I asked something I got a rude "do some homework".
      >
      > It's the best way to keep newbies happy and willing to ask questions, and
      > also to back check anything in case there is a need for something "you
      > remember reading".
      > It would prevent the same questions from being asked over and over again,
      > although every time there are new answers. I am sure the reams of knowledge
      > shared here will otherwise remain buried.
      >
      > Or do the moderators deem all the hard work with reading back posts a
      > punishment/qualifier to be on the group.
      >
      > Cheers
      > Aman
      >

      > On 9/5/06, jon bovard <mr_awesome77@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > this raises the age old topic - should this forum be moved to a
      > > threaded style BBS?
      > >
      > > As a suggestion the topic areas could be split into three.
      > >
      > > - Frequently asked questions ("What are visits versus visitors?" etc)
      > > - Vendor specific questions (Google, Omniture et al)
      > > - Non vendor-specific questions
      > >
      > > This would also allow easier searching for previously asked questions.
      > > (The onsite search for Yahoo forums sucks. Big time.)
      > >
      > > Im not sure why..but every time i raise this threaded BBS issue - i
      > > get shouted down by the conservatists.
      > >
      > > jon
      > >
      > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, "
      > > julien.coquet"
      > >
      > > <julien.coquet@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I tend to agree with Robbin in the way that Conversion University is
      > > > sometimes lacking in terms of answers to "How to" questions and
      > > > implementation scenarii.
      > > >
      > > > If nothing else, the answers and feedback provided here can surely
      > > > help enrich Conversion University content?
      > > >
      > > > Just my .2�
      > >

      > > > Julien
      > > >
      > > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>,

      > > not
      > > months
      > > your

      > > it?)
      > > and
      > > how

      > > "Brian Clifton" <bclifton@>

      > > thought

      > > > http://www.google.com/support/analytics
      > > http://www.google.com/analytics/analyticshelp
      > > > >

      > > http://analytics.blogspot.com/<http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http%3A%2F%2Fanalytics.blogspot.com%2F

    • Eric Peterson
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 5, 2006
        Just so we're clear: there is no way to "move" this group.

        It could be re-started using a different technology, content could be
        copied into a different application, someone could manually go through
        and make a FAQ document, it could branch into three Yahoo! groups,
        etc. but it's not like we can just "move" our thousands of members and
        posts.

        Perhaps it would be easiest if someone just made up a "Frequently
        Asked Questions" document that could be published to the "Files"
        section of this group? We could add reference to this document to the
        "Welcome to the Group" message the moderators send out and anytime
        someone asked a FAQ they could simply be pointed in that direction. I
        would be happy to host the document at my web site; I suspect the WAA
        will be happy as well.

        Jon, would you have time to co-ordinate the effort to build and review
        a "Frequently Asked Questions" document?

        My $0.02.

        Eric T. Peterson
        Author, Moderator, Visual Sciences Employee
        http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com/weblog

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "jon bovard" <mr_awesome77@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        your
        > > > conversion rate and use GA" and some people have questions they just
        > > > need to ask.
        > > >
        > > > Also -- is there something inappropriate about asking for GA help on
        > > > this board? I asked a technical questions about Omniture last week
        > > > and no one reminded me that this was the wrong place to ask.
        (Was it?)
        > > > Your note really got me to thinking about this, and so for the very
        > > > first time I went into Wandering Dave's file regarding
        appropriate and
        > > > inappropriate questions, comments, etc. but I couldn't figure
        out how
        > > > GA questions might be inappropriate.
        > > >
        > > > Finally, this group provides a wonderful sanity check to all those
        > > > people who are asking, "What do you all think about GA?" It is
        > > > analogous to all those "Should I buy SC or WSS?" questions.

      • jon bovard
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 6, 2006
          Frequently asked questions has already been done by Stephen Turner and
          a few others courtesty of Wikipedia

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_analytics

          It would seem that what we are doing here would lend itself
          brilliantly to a Wiki format, where the questions and comments we
          contribute are effectively building a 'body of knowledge'.

          The WABOK. Web Analtytics Body Of Knowledge

          If we had a dual discussion format (ie. turning questions people ask
          the group into Wiki entries), we would effectively be creating the
          WWW's ultimate and most usable format of Web analytics resources, all
          in one ever-evolving place.

          Of course, getting everyone to use a Wiki instead of Yahoo groups is a
          separate challenge. Without closing this forum down and redirecting
          everyone manually.. would this work?

          jon

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Peterson"
          <eric.peterson@...> wrote:

          > Just so we're clear: there is no way to "move" this group.
          >
          > It could be re-started using a different technology, content could be
          > copied into a different application, someone could manually go through
          > and make a FAQ document, it could branch into three Yahoo! groups,
          > etc. but it's not like we can just "move" our thousands of members and
          > posts.
          >
          > Perhaps it would be easiest if someone just made up a "Frequently
          > Asked Questions" document that could be published to the "Files"
          > section of this group? We could add reference to this document to the
          > "Welcome to the Group" message the moderators send out and anytime
          > someone asked a FAQ they could simply be pointed in that direction. I
          > would be happy to host the document at my web site; I suspect the WAA
          > will be happy as well.
          >
          > Jon, would you have time to co-ordinate the effort to build and review
          > a "Frequently Asked Questions" document?
          >
          > My $0.02.
          >
          > Eric T. Peterson
          > Author, Moderator, Visual Sciences Employee
          > http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com/weblog
          >

          > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "jon bovard" <mr_awesome77@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > this raises the age old topic - should this forum be moved to a
          > > threaded style BBS?
          > >
          > > As a suggestion the topic areas could be split into three.
          > >
          > > - Frequently asked questions ("What are visits versus visitors?" etc)
          > > - Vendor specific questions (Google, Omniture et al)
          > > - Non vendor-specific questions
          > >
          > > This would also allow easier searching for previously asked questions.
          > > (The onsite search for Yahoo forums sucks. Big time.)
          > >
          > > Im not sure why..but every time i raise this threaded BBS issue - i
          > > get shouted down by the conservatists.
          > >
          > > jon
          > >

          > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "julien.coquet"
          > > <julien.coquet@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I tend to agree with Robbin in the way that Conversion University is
          > > > sometimes lacking in terms of answers to "How to" questions and
          > > > implementation scenarii.
          > > >
          > > > If nothing else, the answers and feedback provided here can surely
          > > > help enrich Conversion University content?
          > > >
          > > > Just my .2€
          > > >
          > > > Julien

          Official
          Google
          > might not
          > months
          > your

          > (Was it?)
          > appropriate and
          > out how

          > thought

          > > > http://www.google.com/support/analytics
          > > http://www.google.com/analytics/analyticshelp

          http://analytics.blogspot.com/<http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http%3A%2F%2Fanalytics.blogspot.com%2F>

        • Dale McCrory
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 6, 2006
            All,
            I've been building WebAnalyticsToday.com (http://webanalyticstoday.com/) to
            handle some of the issues we've discussed in the past (like wikis), as well
            as the once discussed in this thread. See
            http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/webanalytics/message/5667 for past
            discussion on the Wiki issue.

            I have vendor specific boards (each with RSS) and leave all talk of tips and
            techniques to this discussion list. I am not employed by any web analytics
            vendor, so I don't have any preconcieved bias. Additionally, this site
            contains the only list of web analytics consultants that I know of and the
            only list of vendors with rich data (more than a name and a URL).

            The site is brand new, so I haven't received much traffic yet and the
            content is still under development, but I hope you will find it useful. I
            believe this site and the underlying CMS can meet Eric previous requests for
            information management, control, and flexibility. I offer it as a potential
            solution to archive some of the knowledge in this forum in a more palatable
            form. I would love your comments on the site as well.

            Thanks.
            Dale

            P.S. Ads on the site are restricted to WAT articles, the home page and the
            two callouts on the home page.

            On 9/5/06, Eric Peterson < eric.peterson@...> wrote:

            > Just so we're clear: there is no way to "move" this group.
            >
            > It could be re-started using a different technology, content could be
            > copied into a different application, someone could manually go through
            > and make a FAQ document, it could branch into three Yahoo! groups,
            > etc. but it's not like we can just "move" our thousands of members and
            > posts.
            >
            > Perhaps it would be easiest if someone just made up a "Frequently
            > Asked Questions" document that could be published to the "Files"
            > section of this group? We could add reference to this document to the
            > "Welcome to the Group" message the moderators send out and anytime
            > someone asked a FAQ they could simply be pointed in that direction. I
            > would be happy to host the document at my web site; I suspect the WAA
            > will be happy as well.
            >
            > Jon, would you have time to co-ordinate the effort to build and review
            > a "Frequently Asked Questions" document?
            >
            > My $0.02.
            >
            > Eric T. Peterson
            > Author, Moderator, Visual Sciences Employee
            > http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com/weblog
            >
            > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, "jon
            > bovard" <mr_awesome77@...>
            >
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > this raises the age old topic - should this forum be moved to a
            > > threaded style BBS?
            > >
            > > As a suggestion the topic areas could be split into three.
            > >
            > > - Frequently asked questions ("What are visits versus visitors?" etc)
            > > - Vendor specific questions (Google, Omniture et al)
            > > - Non vendor-specific questions
            > >
            > > This would also allow easier searching for previously asked questions.
            > > (The onsite search for Yahoo forums sucks. Big time.)
            > >
            > > Im not sure why..but every time i raise this threaded BBS issue - i
            > > get shouted down by the conservatists.
            > >
            > > jon
            > >

            > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, "
            > julien.coquet"
            > > <julien.coquet@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I tend to agree with Robbin in the way that Conversion University is
            > > > sometimes lacking in terms of answers to "How to" questions and
            > > > implementation scenarii.
            > > >
            > > > If nothing else, the answers and feedback provided here can surely
            > > > help enrich Conversion University content?
            > > >
            > > > Just my .2���
            >

            > > > Julien
            > > >
            > > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>,

            > might not
            > months
            > your

            > (Was it?)
            > appropriate and
            > out how

            > "Brian Clifton" <bclifton@>

            > thought

            > > > http://www.google.com/support/analytics
            > > http://www.google.com/analytics/analyticshelp
            > > > >

            > http://analytics.blogspot.com/<http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http%3A%2F%2Fanalytics.blogspot.com%2F

          • Luca Meyer
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 7, 2006
              I beg your pardon for the probably silly question (it could be something you
              have already discussed but in the past months I had not much time to
              properly follow the threads), but is there a certification program so that
              one can qualify him/herself as a "web analytics consultant" or is it just
              coming out of experience in the field?

              Thanks -- Luca

              Mr Luca Meyer
              Market research & data analysis
              www.lucameyer.com

> [...]

              > > etc)
              > > - Vendor specific questions (Google, Omniture et al)
              > > - Non vendor-specific questions
              > >
              > > This would also allow easier searching for previously asked questions.
              > > (The onsite search for Yahoo forums sucks. Big time.)
              > >
              > > Im not sure why..but every time i raise this threaded BBS issue - i
              > > get shouted down by the conservatists.
              > >
              > > jon
              > >

              > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com <webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, "
              > julien.coquet"
              > > <julien.coquet@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I tend to agree with Robbin in the way that Conversion University
              > > > is sometimes lacking in terms of answers to "How to" questions and
              > > > implementation scenarii.
              > > >
              > > > If nothing else, the answers and feedback provided here can surely
              > > > help enrich Conversion University content?

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/WktRrD/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/OIFolB/TM
            • Eric Peterson
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 7, 2006
                Hmmm, I think what I meant was that someone would cull through all the
                great questions and answers that have been asked and answered in this
                group over the last two years and compile a FAQ. Something like:

                Q: What is a good conversion rate?
                A: See posts 1234, 1235, 1236 and 1237

                (hyperlinking to each post so that the answers are easily read)

                Does that make sense?

                Yeah, it's a project but it doesn't involve most of us migrating to
                any new platform and it absolutely leverages the conversation to date.

                And yeah, a wiki is a great idea. Why not? Everyone can log in,
                review the questions, ask new questions, review links to answers, add
                their own links to answers, etc.

                That way the Y! group continues to be the main body of content and the
                Wiki is basically a collaborative filter (in a way)

                wrote:

> [...]
                > > a "Frequently Asked Questions" document?
                > >
                > > My $0.02.
                > >
                > > Eric T. Peterson
                > > Author, Moderator, Visual Sciences Employee
                > > http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com/weblog
                > >

                > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "jon bovard" <mr_awesome77@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > this raises the age old topic - should this forum be moved to a
                > > > threaded style BBS?
                > > >
                > > > As a suggestion the topic areas could be split into three.
                > > >
                > > > - Frequently asked questions ("What are visits versus visitors?"
                etc)
                > > > - Vendor specific questions (Google, Omniture et al)
                > > > - Non vendor-specific questions
                > > >
                > > > This would also allow easier searching for previously asked
                questions.
                > > > (The onsite search for Yahoo forums sucks. Big time.)
                > > >
                > > > Im not sure why..but every time i raise this threaded BBS issue - i

              • Michael Wexler
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 8, 2006
                  Yahoo has a co-marketing deal running with PBWiki for free wiki hosting...

                  http://pbwiki.com/yahoo/

                  Michael