RE: [webanalytics] Re: How do I block search engines spidering PDF documents?

  • Seán Dillon
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 5, 2006
      > From: webanalytics@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > Other potential options to ensure that a search bot does not
      > crawl .PDFs on your site:
      >
      > Use SSL (HTTPs) on the .PDF library or download pages.
      > Typically search crawlers will not parse SSL pages. However
      > you will be adding to your users download time slightly due
      > to SSL data overhead.

      Additionally, corporate gateways may stop SSL traffic as part of
      a wider internet usage policy so this may cause issues as well.

      Seán

      Seán Dillon
      Advertising Operations Manager

      Telegraph Group Ltd
      1 Canada Square
      Canary Wharf
      London, E14 5DT

      w: http://www.telegraph.co.uk
      e: sean@...
      t: +44-020-7531-3236
      f: +44-020-7538-6158
      m: +44-077-7335-2803
    • Saif
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 5, 2006
        I may have missed the beginning of the thread, but what is the objective of stopping the search bots from parsing and looking into pdf files.

        Thanks
        Saif