Differentiating on-site clicks

  • jmischel
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2006
      This is the scenario I'm trying to solve in Google Analytics...

      Imagine your homepage has only two links on it - call them link A and
      link B. Both links lead to the exact same item page within your own
      domain. How would you differentiate in GA which link contributed each
      visit to the item page?

      Can you use the URL builder in this case and tag the links with source
      and campaign? If so, wouldn't that conflict with other data if the
      visitor had already been assigned a source or campaign code? Do
      source and campaign codes work to measure traffic already on your site?

      I've thought of using the site overlay feature but I've read that is
      less than reliable when dynamic content is used on the page (and my
      example is quite a bit more complicated than just two links on the
      page).

      Thanks for any advice,
      Jason Mischel
      www.golfgods.com
    • robbinsteif
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2006
        Meredith at ROI did a nice post on solving this a while back:

        http://www.roirevolution.com/blog/2006/07/which_links_do_what_why_it_matters_and_how_to_figu_1.html

        Robbin
        www.lunametrics.com