Re: How do you measure Web 2.0?

  • brewsterbarclay
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 11, 2006
      Dear Eric,
      Rufus Evison and I have been thinking about these issues for a
      while. Our thoughts had been going down two directions for AJAX
      type applications.

      One: The industry must come up with a metric for a "Meaningful
      Interactive Event" which could replace the page view. This has all
      the problems of definition and getting the industry to agree.

      Two: Use the number of seconds that the application being used by
      the browser is in focus as the metric. Therefore, any ad served
      when the application was in focus would have a metric for the number
      of seconds viewed.

      If we indeed need to track from one application to another, we agree
      that there would have to be standard interfaces or handshakes
      between sites so that data could be exchanged. This is something we
      have already done in other contexts for client sites.

      All the best,

      Brewster

      Brewster F. Barclay
      CEO
      Clickstream Technologies PLC
      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Peterson"
      <eric.peterson@...> wrote:

      > Folks,
      >
      > I blogged last night and early this AM about something I've been
      > kicking around for too long in a vaccum, a proposal for
      measuring "Web
      > 2.0" widgets and applications that sites are increasingly embedding
      > into the visitor experience. Things like Google or Yahoo! maps,
      > calendars, tag clouds and the such ... applications that must
      > certainly have some impact on the visitor experience but which for
      the
      > most part are unmeasurable (at least in your existing analytics
      > application which, in my humble opinion would be the right place
      for
      > the measurement to occur.)
      >
      > Anyway, the blog posts are here:
      >
      > http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com/weblog/2006/08/we-want-web-
      20-measurement-standards.html
      > http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com/weblog/2006/08/more-
      thoughts-about-measuring-web-20.html

      > I welcome your thoughts and comments via my weblog, this group or
      email.

      > Eric T. Peterson
      > Author, Moderator, Visual Sciences Employee
      > http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com/weblog

    • Sam Michel
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
        Hello All...

        Apologies if this question has been asked a squillion times before. I've
        tried searching the archives but unsurprisingly all the keywords are rather
        common in the threads.

        I was wondering if someone had come across this issue before. We run Urchin
        5 on our server for a while now. I thought it might be handy to dabble with
        Google Analytics (GA) and after a fairly tortuous wait for an invitation we
        got up and running. Now I have both the GA and Urchin tags in the pages.

        Urchin is fine and dandy and recording data like it always did. GA on the
        other hand is registering a handful of visits each week. When I say handful,
        I mean three or four, versus the thousands registered by Urchin. The code's
        appearing on the pages (see http://www.chinwag.com) but no-show on the stats
        front.

        Anyone else had this issue? Any pointers would be much appreciated. I'm
        fully expecting that I've done something daft and preparing a nice shiny
        piece of wall to bang against my head in that event.

        Have a good weekend.

        Toodle Pip

        Sam
        Sam Michel e: sam@...
        t: 0870 730 7313 f: 0870 730 7312
        Chinwag - http://www.chinwag.com
        http://jobs.chinwag.com
        work in new media - hundreds of jobs

        Win a Nintendo DS & Super Mario Bros:
        http://www.chinwag.com/ac/c.cgi?cid=111&mid=340

        New: Chinwag Jobs Blog
        http://jobs.chinwag.com/blog
      • Mike Chipman
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
          You're referencing __utm.js and urchin.js on each page -- I'll spare the
          technical explanation and will just say that it's bad, mmkay? Try the
          following:

          1) Change your GA code from this:

          <script src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js"
          type="text/javascript">
          </script>
          <script type="text/javascript">
          _uacct = "UA-<hidden for privacy>";
          urchinTracker();
          </script>

          ...to this:

          <script src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js"
          type="text/javascript">
          </script>
          <script type="text/javascript">
          _uacct = "UA-<hidden for privacy>";
          _userv = 2;
          urchinTracker();
          </script>

          You'll want to use your actual GA account number, naturally.

          2) Get rid of or comment out all references to:

          <script src="/__utm.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

          That should do the trick. Thaaaaaanks!

          =================
          Mike Chipman
          XOONI
          p: (866) 376-5923
          f: (815) 301-8689
          mike@...
          http://www.xooni.com
          =================

          Sam Michel wrote:
          > Hello All...
          >
          > Apologies if this question has been asked a squillion times before. I've
          > tried searching the archives but unsurprisingly all the keywords are rather
          > common in the threads.
          >
          > I was wondering if someone had come across this issue before. We run Urchin
          > 5 on our server for a while now. I thought it might be handy to dabble with
          > Google Analytics (GA) and after a fairly tortuous wait for an invitation we
          > got up and running. Now I have both the GA and Urchin tags in the pages.
          >
          > Urchin is fine and dandy and recording data like it always did. GA on the
          > other hand is registering a handful of visits each week. When I say handful,
          > I mean three or four, versus the thousands registered by Urchin. The code's
          > appearing on the pages (see http://www.chinwag.com) but no-show on the stats
          > front.
          >
          > Anyone else had this issue? Any pointers would be much appreciated. I'm
          > fully expecting that I've done something daft and preparing a nice shiny
          > piece of wall to bang against my head in that event.
          >
          > Have a good weekend.
          >
          > Toodle Pip
          >
          > Sam
          > Sam Michel e: sam@...
          > t: 0870 730 7313 f: 0870 730 7312
          > Chinwag - http://www.chinwag.com
          > http://jobs.chinwag.com
          > work in new media - hundreds of jobs
          >
          > Win a Nintendo DS & Super Mario Bros:
          > http://www.chinwag.com/ac/c.cgi?cid=111&mid=340
          >
          > New: Chinwag Jobs Blog
          > http://jobs.chinwag.com/blog

        • Sam Michel
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 4, 2006
            Hello All...

            Hope it's OK to post this. Shout at me, if it's not.

            Just had this metrics post added to our new media jobs board:

            http://jobs.chinwag.com/jobs/5467/

            Salary: £30,000- £40,000 depending on experience

            Location: South West London

            Would you like to work for on of the world’s largest media publishing
            companies with a portfolio of award winning websites and online services?
            These cover over 18 markets in the UK, Europe, USA and Asia and include most
            of the leading names in business publishing.

            The company is looking for a web analyst to report on website user activity
            to key stakeholders. You will monitor key performance indicators, post click
            behavior and user path analysis. The successful candidate will ensure all
            data is accurate and supports business needs as well as suggesting
            developments to improve conversion rates based on your analysis.

            You must be an experienced problem solver who is used to tracking user
            behaviour in an online environment. If you are confident processing numeric
            data and an organized self starter send your CV now!

            http://jobs.chinwag.com/jobs/5467/

            We don't get too many post like thisspecifically for metricians - surely a
            word for metrics people - although according to the dictionary it means "a
            composer of verses" - so I thought I'd pop it up here.

            Hope someone finds it useful.

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4, 2006
              Cheers Mike, I'll give that a go.

              I had a hunch it wouldn't be quite as simple as plugging the code straight
              in.