Re: Webtrends Version 8.0 - Yay or Nay?

  • Aurélie Pols
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 6, 2006
      Hi Steve,

      We've been upgrading quite some clients to V8 (we're on 8.0a now)
      and the main issue we found was with license keys.
      The ones we got for all clients weren't working so we had to contact
      tech support every time but they were very helpful. I'm still not
      clear on their license key procedure when upgrading from 7.5 to 8.

      Also note that V8 only runs under 2003 as 2000 is not supported
      anymore apparently. That's a problem for quite some clients.

      So no major issues with the 8.0a version, even when we were
      transfering existing reports. And as Andrea mentioned, yes the
      settings that went back to default was an issue as Session Tracking
      was suddenly done on IP...again! felt like back to the middleages!
      Not ideal when you have over 200 profiles and scheduled analysis.
      Could have a been a small disaster if the reports had run on those
      settings.

      Personnally, there are 2 things I appreciate with V8:
      - the pricing which is more flexible that the other Small Business,
      Pro & Entreprise solutions as you can buy additional modules without
      having to buy the page views that go with it. I'm a big fan of
      mixing variables so Custom Reports is something that I usually need
      for my clients after a while. This is now possible even if they're
      running under a Small Business or a Pro, as you;
      - the performance dashboards where they've integrated Xcelsius from
      BO, which answers partially a need that keeps coming back. It helps
      you build some kind of KPI dashboard. There are 3 of them
      preformated if my memory serves me right: key metrics, campaign and
      product. It's a good start but not really as flexible as I expected.

      For KPIs, it's been almost a year since the release of Eric
      Peterson's KPI book. He put us all on the road to building usable
      dashboards and I'll be for ever grateful but since then, questions
      have arisen, requirements have evolved, discussions with clients
      have matured.
      What I thus regret terribly is the lack of customisation of these
      KPIs. I hope, pray, for more freedom and flexibility. Next release?

      Hope it helps
      Aurélie Pols
      www.webanalytics.be
    • samratdsouza
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 12, 2006
        Upgrading to 8.0 (enterprise) wasn't a pleasant experience for us,
        which forced us to move back to 7.5.

        We certainly went in for a upgrade, suggested by the WT vendor, due
        to the data and level of customization.

        We also had thought of a distributed architecture, which worked fine
        when we installed but soon crashed taking down the main WT server too.

        We had errors popping up related to mysql followed by apache service
        errors taking WT down for 3 consecutive days when we finally decided
        to move to WT 7.5 fresh installation.

        However, not to mention we had another installation WT 8 which was a
        fresh install and it was working fine. I wonder of its something
        related to migration which has bugs related to mysql / apache.

        However, at last we moved to WT 7.5 with server 2003. Still once in a
        while we get mysql error when we restart the server. I wonder if
        it's
        a bug in respect to Wt on 2003 server.

        I think we'll wait a while for the bugs to get fixed in the next
        version of WT 8 and then move to WT 8 for the ODBC feature we were
        really interested in.

        Few things to take in consideration while upgrading to WT 8:
        1) Needs 2003 Server
        2) License Keys need to be upgraded to WT8, need to call up support
        for the same. Reverting back to WT 7.5 is the same however with more
        pain and efforts.

        3) Take a recent backup

        Also we noticed that it gets a lot of profiles back which were
        deleted from WT interface but were present in the data folders. Same
        with users etc.

        Regards
        Samrat D'souza
        Sr. Web Analyst
        Nabler Web solutions
        India

      • michaelnotte
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 13, 2006
          Steve,

          We've moved to v8.0a two weeks ago. The main reason why we decided
          was the ODBC driver feature. we've only done some basic tests but it
          is really a huge improvements when you want to automate complex
          dashboards that use data from different reports (or from external
          sources).

          Otherwise I think we would still be in 7.5 as the other features in
          v8 that people mentionned were not relevant or absolutely needed in
          our case.

          Regarding the installation process, it went quite well apart from the
          license key problem & this default setting problem that Aurelie
          mentionned.

          Cheers,

          Michaël Notté

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Lionais" <slionais@...>