Re: SEO vs PPC (was: recommendation for switching from log-based analytics s...)

  • aldendesoto
    Message 1 of 45 , Nov 2, 2004
      Regarding SEO vs/with PPC, there is an interesting study that came
      out some time ago. It found that reactions to paid listings varied
      a bit according to search engine. For example, Google users are
      more likely to ignore PPC listings and click on organic listings.

      "Google, in their drive to continually enhance the search experience,
      have always maintained a sharp distinction between paid and organic
      search results. To their credit, this is one of the contributing
      factors to their success and large market share. Sponsored ads are
      very easy to identify on Google.....Generally we found users of
      Google more likely to be resistant to looking at sponsored ads than
      on other engines. There was a general perception that Google's
      organic results were the least commercially tainted ones of all the
      major engines."

      The study is called "Into the Mind of the Searcher" and it was
      conducted/published by Enquiro Search Solutions.

      Alden DeSoto
      Urchin Software

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Novo" <jim@j...> wrote:
      > > I do not think SEO should be put against PPC. You can gain from
      both. In
      > fact
      > when combined you would get the best results. When your site is in
      the top
      > 3-4
      > position of both organic and paid results, whether the click will
      come from
      > the
      > organic link or the PPC link, you still get the traffic. Gaining
      > understanding
      > of the web traffic through web analytics would help one optimize
      not only
      > for
      > the natural rankings but also for the PPC.
      >
      > Good article on why you should use both and how they work together:
      >
      > http://www.clickz.com/experts/search/strat/article.php/3427801
      >
      > I always lead with PPC because you can control it and test it.
      Then use
      > this knowledge to take a stab at organic. Where you get organic,
      you can
      > back off bids on PPC.
      >
      > A balance of the two drives highest total ROI, in my experience.
      >
      > Jim
      > jim@j...
      > http://www.jimnovo.com
    • matthewjncroche
      Message 45 of 45 , Nov 4, 2004
        In my experience, the companies that do analytics well:
        1. Have a catalog background as a company
        2. Hire (or are lucky to have) someone with a DM or financial service
        analyst background
        3. Very hands-on approach to the site content

        Where it fails:
        1. When the project definition in the first phase includes tagging
        everything and tracking everything
        2. When IT is overloaded and cannot make changes to the site to
        respond to information learned from the data.

        Biggest issue with analytics is loss of interest by the
        marketing/merch. team when they cannot/will not make changes to
        influence the numbers.

        Matthew Roche
        Offermatica
        www.offermatica.com