Cookie Management

  • rshosick
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2006
      It's my understanding that Internet Explorer only allows a visitor to
      accept a limited number of cookies from a site. Has anyone experienced
      issues due to these cookie limitations and if so do you have any
      recommendations for managing the cookies from your sites?

      Thanks,
      Rob
    • jim.newsome
      Message 2 of 7 , May 31, 2006
        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "rshosick" <rshosick@...> wrote:

        > It's my understanding that Internet Explorer only allows a visitor to
        > accept a limited number of cookies from a site. Has anyone experienced
        > issues due to these cookie limitations and if so do you have any
        > recommendations for managing the cookies from your sites?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Rob

        Hi Rob,

        IE allows a maximum of 20 cookies per domain, although if you're using
        ASP or any other cookie-based session id, more than 19 custom cookies
        and you risk losing session state. To get round this (if you really
        need to be using more than 20 name-value pairs) you can concatenate
        several name-value pairs for each cookie (up to the 4,096-byte limit
        for that cookie) to create a cookie dictionary. More info here:

        http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;306070

        HTH,

        Jim
        http://www.ga-experts.co.uk
      • Ian Houston
        Message 3 of 7 , May 31, 2006
          Through testing within the tech department of a client I have seen
          where IE can have a tendency to start removing cookies before the
          20th cookie is reached.

          Pushing your use of cookies to the limit is risky. Besides the per
          host limit there is also a total limit of 300. If you need the data
          to have any longevity you may run into issues where your more active
          web surfers are going to enough sites that set enough cookies to
          impact whether your cookies are all there when the user returns. Then
          there is also the impact of just plain cookie deletion to content with.

          Another approach beyond the cookie "dictionary" is to not store so
          much information in cookies at all but instead store information
          server side and retrieve it based on an ID when needed. That ID could
          be stored via a single cookie and come from random assignment when
          the user first enters the site (common approach for most analytics
          systems), or a registration login ID, etc...

          It really depends on the how and when you need to use the extra
          information. I would caution against using cookies for too much data
          without at least having a plan for dealing with when that information
          may simply be gone and you need to recover(reset) it.

          If most of the information you wish to maintain between pages is
          session level data that doesn't need to be retained to the users next
          session there are facilities in most major application platforms for
          doing this without cookies.

          -Ian
          Principal
          Visioactive, LLC

          On May 31, 2006, at 11:59 AM, jim.newsome wrote:

          > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "rshosick" <rshosick@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > It's my understanding that Internet Explorer only allows a
          > visitor to
          > > accept a limited number of cookies from a site. Has anyone
          > experienced
          > > issues due to these cookie limitations and if so do you have any
          > > recommendations for managing the cookies from your sites?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Rob
          > >

          > Hi Rob,
          >
          > IE allows a maximum of 20 cookies per domain, although if you're using
          > ASP or any other cookie-based session id, more than 19 custom cookies
          > and you risk losing session state. To get round this (if you really
          > need to be using more than 20 name-value pairs) you can concatenate
          > several name-value pairs for each cookie (up to the 4,096-byte limit
          > for that cookie) to create a cookie dictionary. More info here:
          >
          > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;306070
          >
          > HTH,
          >
          > Jim
          > http://www.ga-experts.co.uk

          > Visit your group "webanalytics" on the web.

        • Craig Sullivan
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2006
            Perhaps some cookie overflow is detected as cookie deletion?

            Regards,

            Craig Sullivan
            Website Manager
            Video Island Entertainment Ltd
            +44 (0)7711 657315
            +44 (0)20 8951 9882

            There are no rules, only customers.....
            > Through testing within the tech department of a client I have seen
            > where IE can have a tendency to start removing cookies before the
            > 20th cookie is reached.
            >
            > Pushing your use of cookies to the limit is risky. Besides the per
            > host limit there is also a total limit of 300. If you need the data
            > to have any longevity you may run into issues where your more active
            > web surfers are going to enough sites that set enough cookies to
            > impact whether your cookies are all there when the user returns. Then
            > there is also the impact of just plain cookie deletion to content with.
            >
            > Another approach beyond the cookie "dictionary" is to not store so
            > much information in cookies at all but instead store information
            > server side and retrieve it based on an ID when needed. That ID could
            > be stored via a single cookie and come from random assignment when
            > the user first enters the site (common approach for most analytics
            > systems), or a registration login ID, etc...
            >
            > It really depends on the how and when you need to use the extra
            > information. I would caution against using cookies for too much data
            > without at least having a plan for dealing with when that information
            > may simply be gone and you need to recover(reset) it.
            >
            > If most of the information you wish to maintain between pages is
            > session level data that doesn't need to be retained to the users next
            > session there are facilities in most major application platforms for
            > doing this without cookies.
            >
            > -Ian
            > Principal
            > Visioactive, LLC
            >

            > On May 31, 2006, at 11:59 AM, jim.newsome wrote:
            >
            >> --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "rshosick" <rshosick@...> wrote:
            >> >
            >> > It's my understanding that Internet Explorer only allows a
            >> visitor to
            >> > accept a limited number of cookies from a site. Has anyone
            >> experienced
            >> > issues due to these cookie limitations and if so do you have any
            >> > recommendations for managing the cookies from your sites?
            >> >
            >> > Thanks,
            >> > Rob
            >> >

            >> Hi Rob,
            >>
            >> IE allows a maximum of 20 cookies per domain, although if you're using
            >> ASP or any other cookie-based session id, more than 19 custom cookies
            >> and you risk losing session state. To get round this (if you really
            >> need to be using more than 20 name-value pairs) you can concatenate
            >> several name-value pairs for each cookie (up to the 4,096-byte limit
            >> for that cookie) to create a cookie dictionary. More info here:
            >>
            >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;306070
            >>
            >> HTH,
            >>
            >> Jim
            >> http://www.ga-experts.co.uk

            >> Visit your group "webanalytics" on the web.

          • Minni Masi
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2006
              Rob,

              One of the few things you can be particular about is:

              Some-times you may be enticed to use a set of client side code which
              effectively drops session/persistent cookies on your site. This will count
              against your IE 20 cookie set limit.
              Not to mention if user goes from one site to next where there may be
              multiple cookies dropped on the users machine. The best recourse to this
              apparent dilemma is to ensure the solution is not dropping cookies and you
              are limiting your cookies dropped on the clients end. Typically, I have seen
              no more than 4 to 5 cookies being dropped on the client side. With session
              cookies it is all right because as soon as the computer is turned off the
              cookies is taken out of the virtual memory.

              I recommend a utility that counts the number of cookies being set. This can
              be done on the client side.
              Additionally, be mindful of the cookie size. The limit (I think ) is 4K if
              it goes beyond that then there is on overflow as well.

              Best of luck with this,

              MM

              On 5/31/06, rshosick <rshosick@...> wrote:

              > It's my understanding that Internet Explorer only allows a visitor to
              > accept a limited number of cookies from a site. Has anyone experienced
              > issues due to these cookie limitations and if so do you have any
              > recommendations for managing the cookies from your sites?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Rob

            • Anil Batra
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 5, 2006
                Here is work around if you really need more than 20 cookies

                You can use a different domain for each set of 20. i.e. Set 20 with
                www.[yourdomain].com, 20 more with .[yourdomain].com.
                If you have subdomains then you can use same logic to further increase the
                number of cookies.

                - Anil Batra

                On 6/1/06, Minni Masi <bristolnational@...> wrote:

                > Rob,
                >
                > One of the few things you can be particular about is:
                >
                > Some-times you may be enticed to use a set of client side code which
                > effectively drops session/persistent cookies on your site. This will count
                > against your IE 20 cookie set limit.
                > Not to mention if user goes from one site to next where there may be
                > multiple cookies dropped on the users machine. The best recourse to this
                > apparent dilemma is to ensure the solution is not dropping cookies and you
                > are limiting your cookies dropped on the clients end. Typically, I have
                > seen
                > no more than 4 to 5 cookies being dropped on the client side. With session
                > cookies it is all right because as soon as the computer is turned off the
                > cookies is taken out of the virtual memory.
                >
                > I recommend a utility that counts the number of cookies being set. This
                > can
                > be done on the client side.
                > Additionally, be mindful of the cookie size. The limit (I think ) is 4K if
                > it goes beyond that then there is on overflow as well.
                >
                > Best of luck with this,
                >
                > MM
                >

                > On 5/31/06, rshosick <rshosick@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > It's my understanding that Internet Explorer only allows a visitor to
                > > accept a limited number of cookies from a site. Has anyone experienced
                > > issues due to these cookie limitations and if so do you have any
                > > recommendations for managing the cookies from your sites?
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > > Rob

              • pj_miele
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 6, 2006
                  While on the subject, does anyone have any updated stats/estimates on
                  cookie deletion?

                  This would be especially interesting to see if there was a difference
                  between industry (retail vs. media). The previous numbers that I saw
                  on this topic seemed very high.