RE: [webanalytics] Re: Outsourcing vs. in-house

  • Mike Keyes
    Message 1 of 11 , May 4, 2006
      Albert -- I'm sure some vendors will cry foul, but I think integrating your WA data with other data sources is a good reason to keep it in house. IMO it's usually simpler and safer to move stuff around your own network than trying to move it back from an ASP.
      From a cost perspective most ASPs seem reasonably priced. Maintaining software in house is a real and significant cost.

      As for the second question, with an agency you (should) get a team of experienced people working on your problems, but with an internal analyst you'll get someone who is plugged into your problems and business full time. It's a tradeoff and the best answer probably depends on your particular situation.

      Don't hire an agency to run reports. Your tool or a trained monkey can do that. Hire an agency to choose the right reports, tell you what they mean and to get recommendations of what you should do about it.

      (full disclosure: I work for an agency)

      mike keyes::ciceron::612.204.1919 ex.40
      Get Web Results -- Our web marketing newsletter
      http://www.ciceron.com/enews.asp

      Message 2 of 11 , May 7, 2006
        Albert, I have been heavilly involved in both models and I can say
        with absolute certainty that you need a VERY good reason to bring it
        in house. We once moved from ASP to in-house and within 18 months we
        moved back to ASP because of the headaches involved.

        This was for a high volume, B2C site with 300k pages a day.

        Im not joking when i say it consumed abotu 50% of someones time, all
        the time.

        The resource/capital and operational overheads are just too high for
        in-house.

        The following are the only circumstances I would want something in house.

        1. I really really needed to do obscure things with the data at a very
        micro level, all day every day.

        2. I had more than 2 or 3 high volumes websites meaning I had enough
        economy of scale to create cost efficiencies bringing it in house.

        3. I had free Human resources and storage for Log files and log file
        management (not a small job for anything greater than 500,000 pages a
        day or even higher-volume sites)

        4. I had the technical/BI staff in place to do something creative with
        the data. (very rare for this to be the case)

        5. My business was heavilly reliant on web data as its primary source
        of critical KPI's and overall business success. ie. Its so very very
        critical to you that you cannot and will not trust anyone with your data.
        I cant see that this is the case, given the quality of service from
        the big ASP's nowadays...

        I really cannot see a case, for just about any business model, where
        an ASP wont suffice.

        Dont let anyone tell you that its more cost efficient to bring it in
        house. Generally speaking thats simply not true..

        cheers
        jon
        jon.bovard AT gmail.com