Re: Google Analytics - do the stats include hits from spiders?

  • Stephen Turner
    Message 1 of 10 , May 4, 2006
      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Jackson, Janet \(GE
      Healthcare\)" <janet.jackson@...> wrote:

      > Ok, quick question regarding this....is that a good thing or bad thing
      > that most search engine spiders do not process javascript?

      Some advocates of page tagging have claimed that this is an advantage
      of the page tagging methodology over logfiles, but I've always argued
      the opposite: that this is one of the main advantages of using
      logfiles rather than page tagging. Of course, the spider data
      shouldn't be included in the same category as ordinary visitors, but a
      good program will deal with that automatically for you. But for SEO,
      that data is useful, and with logfiles it's there when you need it.

      Of course, there are other advantages of page tagging over logfiles.
      I'm only saying that the decision is not as obvious as some people claim.

      --
      Stephen Turner
      CTO, ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
      Message 2 of 10 , May 5, 2006
        Sean

        thanks for pointing that out, most helpful.

        Martin

        Martin Pratt
        Senior Executive

        Institution of Mechanical Engineers
        Research and Communications
        1 Birdcage Walk, Westminster
        London SW1H 9JJ
        e-mail: m_pratt@...

        Are you using a sledgehammer to crack a nut?

        TRIZ - The Theory of Inventive Problem Solving
        http://www.imeche.org.uk/manufacturing/triz.asp