Google consultants and Google keys

  • jon bovard
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2006
      I spoke to someone today who asked the question of some of Google's
      accredited consultanting firms here in London.

      "Can you get me a Key? I need a Google Urchin account for my website"

      "Yes we can - £950 (about $1500 USD)...."

      My mind is full of questions.

      jon
    • Bill Bruno
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2006
        Hi Jon,

        My guess is that there was some confusion around the wording. Google's Urchin product does cost money (Software), but Google Analytics (ASP) is free.

        Thanks,

        Bill

        ___

        <http://www.stratigent.com>

        Bill Bruno
        Senior Analyst
        Stratigent, LLC

        Phone: 630.393.9583

        Cell: 773.203.6596
        Fax: 630.393.9579
        Email: bill@... <mailto:bill@...>

        Copyright Stratigent, LLC 2006, all rights reserved. This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipients and contain confidential and proprietary information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution of this email message or its attachments is prohibited.

        ________________________________

        I spoke to someone today who asked the question of some of Google's
        accredited consultanting firms here in London.

        "Can you get me a Key? I need a Google Urchin account for my website"

        "Yes we can - £950 (about $1500 USD)...."

        My mind is full of questions.

        jon

        ---------------------------------------
        The Web Analytics Forum
        Founded by Eric T. Peterson (www.webanalyticsdemystified.com)
        Moderated by the Web Analytics Association (www.webanalyticsassociation.org)
        Email moderators at: webanalytics-moderators@yahoogroups.com

      • jon bovard
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2006
          Bill, they are definitely charging for a key to the ASP version.

          jon

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruno" <bill@...> wrote:

          > Hi Jon,
          >

          > My guess is that there was some confusion around the wording.
          Google's Urchin product does cost money (Software), but Google
          Analytics (ASP) is free.

          > Thanks,
          >
          > Bill
          >

          > ___
          >
          > <http://www.stratigent.com>
          >

          > Bill Bruno
          > Senior Analyst
          > Stratigent, LLC
          >

          > Phone: 630.393.9583
          >
          > Cell: 773.203.6596
          > Fax: 630.393.9579
          > Email: bill@... <mailto:bill@...>
          >

          > Copyright Stratigent, LLC 2006, all rights reserved. This email
          message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended
          recipients and contain confidential and proprietary information. Any
          unauthorized use, disclosure or distribution of this email message
          or its attachments is prohibited.

          > ________________________________

          t=ms&k=Key+performance+indicators&w1=Key+performance+indicators&w2=An
          alytics&w3=Big+book&w4=Internet+business&w5=Internet+business+idea&w6
          =Internet+business+opportunity&c=6&s=147&.sig=-
          s4He2SuuDlB4XQXG2emrQ>

          t=ms&k=Analytics&w1=Key+performance+indicators&w2=Analytics&w3=Big+bo
          ok&w4=Internet+business&w5=Internet+business+idea&w6=Internet+busines
          s+opportunity&c=6&s=147&.sig=12RXyLrZ0F68uNLR3FlAww>

          t=ms&k=Big+book&w1=Key+performance+indicators&w2=Analytics&w3=Big+boo
          k&w4=Internet+business&w5=Internet+business+idea&w6=Internet+business
          +opportunity&c=6&s=147&.sig=Tt61X7Ifx7GVT9_-ahq5gQ>

          t=ms&k=Internet+business&w1=Key+performance+indicators&w2=Analytics&w
          3=Big+book&w4=Internet+business&w5=Internet+business+idea&w6=Internet
          +business+opportunity&c=6&s=147&.sig=99s-D46ELErIK1Epz1XkZA>

          t=ms&k=Internet+business+idea&w1=Key+performance+indicators&w2=Analyt
          ics&w3=Big+book&w4=Internet+business&w5=Internet+business+idea&w6=Int
          ernet+business+opportunity&c=6&s=147&.sig=WODI4dFx22shb4sAEUhWIQ>

          t=ms&k=Internet+business+opportunity&w1=Key+performance+indicators&w2
          =Analytics&w3=Big+book&w4=Internet+business&w5=Internet+business+idea
          &w6=Internet+business+opportunity&c=6&s=147&.sig=oF5CkkJ6aKD9WoWFmVq3

          subject=Unsubscribe>

        • Lars
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2006
            Well, some individuals are making money on the client-side solution as
            well...
            http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=google+analytics

            Lars

            jon bovard wrote:
            > I spoke to someone today who asked the question of some of Google's
            > accredited consultanting firms here in London.
            >
            > "Can you get me a Key? I need a Google Urchin account for my website"
            >
            > "Yes we can - £950 (about $1500 USD)...."
            >
            > My mind is full of questions.
            >
            > jon

          • Miles Bennett
            Message 5 of 7 , May 3, 2006
              Have a look at www.johnston.co.uk

              Miles
            • daan_cemit
              Message 6 of 7 , May 4, 2006
                Jon,

                At first I thought, "bad consulting firm", but then I started to look
                at it from different perspectives.

                Google offers it for free. Consultants are not allowed to charge for
                the use of the system. However, just like Google, consultants can
                give it to whomever they want and they are not obliged to give them
                to whomever asks for them. And being a consultant my self and having
                a few spare Google keys, I can tell you, I give them to our clients.

                My clients pay for our services. Just every bloke that asks me for a
                key, without being interested in our services, I refer to Google, "Go
                wait in line." Consultants got hold of these keys because, for
                Google, they qualified as a result of the kind of services they
                provide. People who are just interested in the free software but
                don't want to use the services should just wait in line. They are
                only in it for the free ride.

                --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "jon bovard" <mr_awesome77@...>
                wrote:

                > I spoke to someone today who asked the question of some of Google's
                > accredited consultanting firms here in London.
                >
                > "Can you get me a Key? I need a Google Urchin account for my
                website"

                > "Yes we can - £950 (about $1500 USD)...."
                >
                > My mind is full of questions.
                >
                > jon

              • Andrew Edwards
                Message 7 of 7 , May 4, 2006
                  It would be interesting to know if Google knows that folks are selling
                  what Google gave them for free. . .I have no idea.

                  daan_cemit wrote:

                  >Jon,
                  >
                  >At first I thought, "bad consulting firm", but then I started to look
                  >at it from different perspectives.
                  >
                  >Google offers it for free. Consultants are not allowed to charge for
                  >the use of the system. However, just like Google, consultants can
                  >give it to whomever they want and they are not obliged to give them
                  >to whomever asks for them. And being a consultant my self and having
                  >a few spare Google keys, I can tell you, I give them to our clients.
                  >
                  >My clients pay for our services. Just every bloke that asks me for a
                  >key, without being interested in our services, I refer to Google, "Go
                  >wait in line." Consultants got hold of these keys because, for
                  >Google, they qualified as a result of the kind of services they
                  >provide. People who are just interested in the free software but
                  >don't want to use the services should just wait in line. They are
                  >only in it for the free ride.
                  >

                  >--- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "jon bovard" <mr_awesome77@...>
                  >wrote:
                  >

                  >>I spoke to someone today who asked the question of some of Google's
                  >>accredited consultanting firms here in London.
                  >>
                  >>"Can you get me a Key? I need a Google Urchin account for my
                  >>

                  >website"
                  >

                  >>"Yes we can - £950 (about $1500 USD)...."
                  >>
                  >>My mind is full of questions.
                  >>
                  >>jon

                  Andrew Edwards
                  Managing Partner