Web Analytics Optimized CMS (Content Management System)

  • retowettstein
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 29, 2004
      Hello everybody,

      You should focus on analytics aspects in an early stage while site
      (re-)design process, right? That's what I read a few times and makes
      obviously sense to me. Now, that I have two redesign projects, I would
      like to take that recommendation into account and ask you, if you know
      some cms that already implement good analytics functions or at least
      aren't that difficult to implement third parties analytics solutions?

      I'm looking forward to read your opinions.

      Thaks a lot!

      Best Regards,

      Reto
    • Eric Peterson
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2004
        Reto,

        In my experience the best CMS to integrate with analytics solutions is
        basically "your own." Especially with tag-based solutions, black-box
        CMS apps can often present problems when trying to get necessary
        variables out of the system and into JavaScript. When working with
        server log files the problems are likely different, often due to
        non-unique script names or templates reliant on session IDs to
        generate the proper content.

        That being said, at my previous job I did a handful of CMS
        implementations with Vignette, Interwoven, BroadVision, etc. but I
        would not characterize any as "painless" nor the ultimate
        implementation powerful (I worked for a page tagger.)

        I'm sure others in the group have integrated CMS and analytics
        applications so I like you would hear some success stories (if any
        exist.)

        Eric

        On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:19:35 -0000, retowettstein <bigboarder@...> wrote:

        > Hello everybody,
        >
        > You should focus on analytics aspects in an early stage while site
        > (re-)design process, right? That's what I read a few times and makes
        > obviously sense to me. Now, that I have two redesign projects, I would
        > like to take that recommendation into account and ask you, if you know
        > some cms that already implement good analytics functions or at least
        > aren't that difficult to implement third parties analytics solutions?
        >
        > I'm looking forward to read your opinions.
        >
        > Thaks a lot!
        >
        > Best Regards,
        >
        > Reto

        Eric T. Peterson
        Author, Web Analytics Demystified
        www.webanalyticsdemystified.com

        Have you joined the Metrics Discussion Group? Email
        webanalytics-subscribe@yahoogroups.com to join today!
      • philkemelor
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 31, 2004
          I have worked with Vignette CMS both with page tag and log file solutions. Althought Vignette does have an optional analytic component, I've never used it. In any case, with the log file solution, we parsed the information out of the query string and mapped it to the critical database tables to create reports describing the content. This does require a non-trivial level of effort. The page tag solution has been easier to implement because the tags are included in the header template of the content.

          My suggestion would be to evaluate the metrics component of the CMS with the same requirements and criteria that you would use to consider a third party system.

          Phil Kemelor

          You should focus on analytics aspects in an early stage while site
          (re-)design process, right? That's what I read a few times and makes
          obviously sense to me. Now, that I have two redesign projects, I would
          like to take that recommendation into account and ask you, if you know
          some cms that already implement good analytics functions or at least
          aren't that difficult to  implement third parties analytics solutions?

          I'm looking forward to read your opinions.

          Thaks a lot!

          Best Regards,

          Reto

          Web Metrics Discussion Group