Re: [webanalytics] WebTrends vs. NetTracker

  • Josh Manion
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 14, 2004
      This is a common problem that we have run into on many occasions. In
      one case we ran the exact same data (~15MM rows of log data) into
      WebTrends 7, NetTracker, and analog just to see how different the
      results would be. The outcomes were significantly different (30%
      spread) , even when looking at simple metrics such as page views to
      the homepage where no real assumptions need to be made.

      The real problem is that unless you have complete knowledge of how the
      application in questions is conducting its counts and what is exactly
      being filtered, it is very difficult to resolve discrepancies like
      this.

      Josh Manion
      Stratigent, LLC
      www.stratigent.com

      On Jul 14, 2004, at 12:02 PM, Eric Peterson wrote:

      Great question Garrett!

      Because this is one of the most common questions that come up whenever
      a company switches vendors/measurement platforms, even when going from
      logs to logs as in Garrett's case, I suspect that many members of this
      group will have comments/contributions.  I'll wait to see what others
      have to say before digging in too deep.

      Needless to say, in my experience I've seen the delta between
      log-based systems and tag-based systems as high as 40% for page view
      and visit counts.  Pretty bad news if you're the analytics decision
      maker who now has to explain to upper management why the numbers
      dropped by nearly half!  While there are always pretty good
      explanations, it's never fun to be the bearer of bad news.

      Welcome to the discussion ...

      On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:38:45 -0000, Garrett <gnafzing@...> wrote:
      > Has anyone had experience with both of these products?  We've been
      > using WebTrends for the past few years and recently switched to
      > NetTracker because of WebTrends decision to drop the Unix product
      with
      > the 7.0 release.
      >
      > After analyzing the same logs with NetTracker we find our numbers
      come
      > in about 25% lower across the board.  I contacted NetTracker support,
      > who informed me that NetTracker filters the major bot traffic.  I've
      > removed the bot filters from NetTracker and the numbers are still ~
      > 23% lower.  We do exclude staff traffic (from within our building)
      > with both products.
      >
      > I know the numbers are never going to be exactly the same, I'd be
      > willing to accept 5% + or -.
      >
      > Anyone have similar experience?
      >
      > Thank you,
      > Garrett N.

      Eric T. Peterson
      Author, Web Analytics Demystified
      www.webanalyticsdemystified.com

      Have you joined the Metrics Discussion Group?  Email
      webanalytics-subscribe@yahoogroups.com to join today!

      ---------------------------------------
      Web Metrics Discussion Group
      Moderated by Eric T. Peterson
      Author, Web Analytics Demystified
      http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <lrec_companion_043004.gif>
      <l.gif>

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
      Service.