Google Analytics - Can it Track Printouts of a Coupon Page?

  • apokrisis22
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 31, 2006
      Hi all,

      I have lurked in this group for a time and this is my first post.
      Thanks for all the excellent information!

      I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to track the number of times
      a page is prined out using Google Analytics? The example is a coupon
      page, for which one of the KPI's would be number of times printed.

      Is this possible? If not with GA, is there technology that can measure
      this?

      Thanks in Advance,
      Kristen

      Kristen Lindsey
      Owner
      Apokrisis
      t. 907-3250-4454
      w. http://www.apokrisis.com
      b. http://www.apokrisis-answers.com
    • Seby Kallarakkal
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 31, 2006
        I remember reading Google's help file on measuring clicks to external link using a Javascript. I think the same principle can be applied here. Give a print link that executes a javascript that in turn calls a page. But if the user chooses to print usinf the file drop down, I suspect you can't really do anything.

        Seby
        Seby Kallarakkal
        Sent from my BlackBerry® on Airtel

        I have lurked in this group for a time and this is my first post.
        Thanks for all the excellent information!

        I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to track the number of times
        a page is prined out using Google Analytics? The example is a coupon
        page, for which one of the KPI's would be number of times printed.

        Is this possible? If not with GA, is there technology that can measure
        this?

        Thanks in Advance,
        Kristen

        Kristen Lindsey
        Owner
        Apokrisis
        t. 907-3250-4454
        w. http://www.apokrisis.com: <http://www.apokrisis.com>
        b. http://www.apokrisis-answers.com: <http://www.apokrisis-answers.com>

        ---------------------------------------
        Web Metrics Discussion Group
        Moderated by Eric T. Peterson
        Author, Web Analytics Demystified
        http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com: <http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com>

        ----------------
      • jonathan casuncad
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 31, 2006
          We need an analytics solution that can do the
          following;

          1. Create campaigns that cut across multiple websites
          and a single sales funnel and be able to track
          properly.
          2. Create single campaigns (1 website leading to 1
          sales funnel) and be able to track properly.
          3. Create campaigns (Organic, PPC, Affiliate Program,
          Email, etc) that would contain multiple websites as
          entry points and lead to 1 sales funnel).

          I know that Urchin's Campaign Tracking Module (add-on)
          can do this. I want to know if there are others out
          there?

          Jonathan Casuncad
          Search Engine Marketing Consultant
          http://www.sem-pros.com/

          Search Engine Marketing Directory: http://www.sem-pros.com/resources/
          Search Engine Marketing Blog: http://www.sem-pros.com/blog/
          Search Engine Marketing Forum: http://www.sem-pros.com/sem-forums/

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • ernest.mueller@ni.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
            JavaScript has the facility to detect when a Web page is printed. It has
            both window.onbeforeprint and window.onafterprint events. Just set a page
            tag fire or whatever you want, should suit your needs. Works in IE, not
            sure about other browsers.

            See http://www.wsabstract.com/javatutors/ie5print.shtml for a usage
            tutorial.

            Thanks,
            Ernest

            "Seby
            Kallarakkal"
            <seby@...> To
            Sent by: "web analytics forum"
            webanalytics@yaho <webanalytics@yahoogroups.com>
            ogroups.com cc

            Subject
            03/31/2006 08:14 Re: [webanalytics] Google Analytics
            PM - Can it Track Printouts of a
            Coupon Page?

            Please respond to
            webanalytics@yaho
            ogroups.com

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2006
              Kristen,

              Not that i condone the use of google analytics (i do it rocks) but...

              If you want to track the use of a 'print' button/link use:

              ('/coupon/printclick');">Click Here to Print out Coupon</a>

              Otherise add this into body tag of html...

              obviously you can use whatever you want in the place of
              '/coupon/printed' and /coupon/printclick, these will just be the names
              of the pages that apear in the reporting tool.

              Enjoy.

              Gareth.

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 2, 2006
                Since I bought Eric's book online, Amazon offered me discount on this book
                called "Ramble: A field guide to the U.S.A" :) And yes, the author's name is
                Eric peterson.....

              • Jim Sterne
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 3, 2006
                  At 07:33 PM 4/2/2006, Seby Kallarakkal wrote:
                  >Since I bought Eric's book online, Amazon offered me discount on this book
                  >called "Ramble: A field guide to the U.S.A" :) And yes, the author's name is
                  >Eric peterson.....

                  Have you seen Eric's frequent flyer statement?
                  He could write one a week!

                  Emetrics Summit, Web Analytics Conference
                  www.emetrics.org
                  Santa Barbara, April 18 - 20 SOLD OUT
                  London, 3-5 May
                  Munich, May 23-24
                  Washington D.C., October 16-18
                  Jim Sterne www.targeting.com +1-805-965-3184
                  President, www.WebAnalyticsAssociation.org

                  Emetrics Summit, Web Analytics Conference
                  www.emetrics.org
                  Santa Barbara, April 18 - 20 SOLD OUT
                  London, 3-5 May
                  Munich, May 23-24
                  Washington D.C., October 16-18
                • Eric Peterson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 3, 2006
                    Ironically I don't actually fly that much, at least not compared to
                    Mr. Sterne. And, despite promising my wife I would ** never ** write
                    another book, another idea has been percolating ...

                    ... no, not a travel book, although I am planning to learn a lot about
                    D.C. this Wednesday from the 45 people planning to attend Web
                    Analytics Wednesday (shameless plug:
                    http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com/wednesday/ to sign up, WAA is
                    buying the first round, Emetrics the second)

                    Hey Jim, as long as I have you on the line:

                    -----> WHO WON THE WAA BOARD OF DIRECTORS ELECTIONS?!?!

                    I ask since my friend Clint Ivy ran and he's about to go on vacation
                    and the suspense is killing him.

                    Anyway, don't anyone tell my wife I'm writing another book and I'll
                    see a bunch of you Wednesday night in Arlington, D.C.

                    Eric T. Peterson
                    Moderator, Author, Visual Sciences Employee

                    --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Jim Sterne <jsterne@...> wrote:

                    > At 07:33 PM 4/2/2006, Seby Kallarakkal wrote:
                    > >Since I bought Eric's book online, Amazon offered me discount on
                    this book
                    > >called "Ramble: A field guide to the U.S.A" :) And yes, the
                    author's name is
                    > >Eric peterson.....
                    >
                    > Have you seen Eric's frequent flyer statement?
                    > He could write one a week!

                    > Emetrics Summit, Web Analytics Conference
                    > www.emetrics.org
                    > Santa Barbara, April 18 - 20 SOLD OUT
                    > London, 3-5 May
                    > Munich, May 23-24
                    > Washington D.C., October 16-18
                    > Jim Sterne www.targeting.com +1-805-965-3184
                    > President, www.WebAnalyticsAssociation.org

                    > Emetrics Summit, Web Analytics Conference
                    > www.emetrics.org
                    > Santa Barbara, April 18 - 20 SOLD OUT
                    > London, 3-5 May
                    > Munich, May 23-24
                    > Washington D.C., October 16-18

                  • Bryan E.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 4, 2006
                      Eric,

                      I could tell you who won but I would have to ---- you. I'll let you
                      use your imagination for the blanks. Fact is Jim and I will be
                      contacting the winners this week. Maybe even later today from Ad:tech
                      in Cincinnati. What I can tell you is that everyone except one person
                      who ran made it onto the board.

                      Thanks,
                      Bryan Eisenberg

                      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Peterson"