Re: [webanalytics] Web Analytics and Viral Marketing

  • Eric Peterson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 14, 2004
      Matt and Dylan,

      In terms of measurement, to me it sounds like you A) need a way to
      identify a virally (sic) referred (sic) visitor and B) a way to
      segment them to monitor future activities (e.g., do they then refer
      others to the site and what do those other folks do). Given my limited
      knowledge of Omniture's technology, I'm thinking that you could:

      1) Set a specific landing page for the viral marketing program, and
      on this page "tag" the referred visitor as such using a custom
      variable (per Matt's usage)
      2) Leverage SiteCatalyst's ASI technology to create a visitor segment
      of these people and watch what they do in the future, e.g., if you
      have a "refer a visitor" page, are they going there, etc.

      If you wanted to get really complex you could establish a hierarchy of
      viral referrals, primary referral, secondary referral, etc. and tag
      visitors that way as well to gague which type of visitor is most
      valuable.

      Needless to say this all depends on having moderately complex
      technology in place to tag visitors and segment them. Not all
      currently available analytics apps will support this.

      If you folks wanted to experiment we could use my Web site to test
      measurement strategies for viral marketing. I'm open to modifying my
      code and making that data available to the group if people are
      interested. Nothing to hide here ... ;-)

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 14, 2004
        Thanks Eric. I won't comment on #1 below since we are already doing it.

        As for #2, I would love to use Omniture's new ASI feature, but it is too
        expensive! For the volume of data we typically generate, it would nearly
        double our monthly fees with Omniture if we were to create the ASI segments
        you proposed below (or any segments for that matter). It's unfortunate
        too, because ASI is a critical feature that we've asked for since becoming
        an Omniture customer. But because of the cost, we're sitting on the
        sidelines until it becomes more affordable or we devise an alternative to AB
        testing and/or dynamic segmentation. Anyway, I do not want to comment any
        further on ASI for competitive reasons, so I'll leave it at that.

        - Matt.

        ________________________________

        ---------------------------------------
[...]

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129s51or3/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/
        D=groups/S=1705005582:HM/EXP=1089910761/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*htt
        p://companion.yahoo.com> click here

        s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=669626443>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Eric Peterson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 15, 2004
          This is interesting to me, your response to #2 below. Isn't the
          promise of ASP analytics essentially "free" upgrades when new/useful
          tools emerge? While I do understand vendor drivers to charge for
          technology like ASI, e.g., internal costs associated with data
          processing, hardware, etc., I'm not sure that this sits well with
          customers (I mean, you don't sound super-duper happy about it).

          Since a handful of ASP analytics vendors are monitoring this list,
          would any of you care to comment about the decision to charge for
          additional functionality, similar to the traditional software model?