Moving on!

  • Matt Belkin
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 21, 2004

      Hi folks,

      Apologies for being a little quiet on the board lately�after an exciting few years building out Macromedia's marketing analytics group, I decided last month that it was time to move on. As you all know, I've been a big fan of optimization, the power of change, and helping folks leverage web analytics to be successful. In reflecting on this, I realized what better way to help people be successful than by joining a web analytics company.

      Over the past few weeks, I was fortunate enough to find a home at Omniture, and am now serving as the new VP of Analyst Services. It is really a fantastic opportunity - one that will allow me to not only work with many of you, but also to build a cutting-edge services organization. Of course, although I'm now on the "vendor-side", I expect to remain actively involved in this group (Eric, let the moderating begin) and look forward to many more great postings!

      Cheers, and feel free to contact me should you have any questions.

      Matt Belkin

      VP, Analyst Services

      mbelkin@...

    • Eric Peterson
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 21, 2004
        Matt,

        Glad to hear you're out of the closet about the new job now!
        Certainly I wish you all the best and am quite sure you'll be happy
        working for Omniture (nice folks, all.) It's exciting that I am
        hearing more and more about talented folks like yourself going to the
        vendor-side of things to bring your demonstrated expertise to a wider
        audience. I'm a big fan of talented folks sharing their wealth of
        information (hence, this group, eh?)

        Best of luck with all that and maybe I'll run into you sometime soon ;-)

        On a completely unrelated note: Did any of you check out what had been
        keeping Jim MacIntyre, one of our favorite contributors, busy
        recently? Visual Sciences has a, gasp, Web site ... one with more
        than two pages! Check it out:

        http://www.visualsciences.com

        I hesitate to say more about the company, which is a drag since I
        won't let Jim say anything interesting about his company either.
        Suffice to say, if you're a big analytics geek like Matt, Dylan Lewis
        or I, you want to check out Visual Sciences.

        Also, I hope to have the results of that analytics survey I pestered
        you all to complete available early next week to coencide with the
        looooooooong-awaited publication of my analytics report (from
        JupiterResearch.) If I can get permission from "the man" I'll drop it
        on my Web site for you all to have a look at, assuming you're
        interested.

        Have a great weekend, everyone.

        Eric Peterson
        Author, etc.

        On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:17:34 -0700 (PDT), Matt Belkin <mbelkin@...> wrote:

        > Hi folks,
        >
        > Apologies for being a little quiet on the board lately…after an exciting few
        > years building out Macromedia's marketing analytics group, I decided last
        > month that it was time to move on. As you all know, I've been a big fan of
        > optimization, the power of change, and helping folks leverage web analytics
        > to be successful. In reflecting on this, I realized what better way to help
        > people be successful than by joining a web analytics company.
        >
        > Over the past few weeks, I was fortunate enough to find a home at Omniture,
        > and am now serving as the new VP of Analyst Services. It is really a
        > fantastic opportunity - one that will allow me to not only work with many of
        > you, but also to build a cutting-edge services organization. Of course,
        > although I'm now on the "vendor-side", I expect to remain actively involved
        > in this group (Eric, let the moderating begin) and look forward to many more
        > great postings!
        >
        > Cheers, and feel free to contact me should you have any questions.
        >
        > Matt Belkin
        >
        > VP, Analyst Services
        >
        > mbelkin@...
        >

        > ---------------------------------------
        > Web Metrics Discussion Group
        > Moderated by Eric T. Peterson
        > Author, Web Analytics Demystified
        > http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Eric T. Peterson
        Author, Web Analytics Demystified
        www.webanalyticsdemystified.com

        Have you joined the Metrics Discussion Group? Email
        webanalytics-subscribe@yahoogroups.com to join today!
      • Jim Sterne
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 22, 2004
          Rats!
          I was counting on having you present at the Emetrics Summit
          next year and now you've gone over to the vendor side and,
          like Terry Lund, I can't have you give a presentation.
          Harrumph!

          And all the best in your new position.

          At 02:17 PM 10/21/2004, Matt Belkin wrote:

[...]

          click here
          []

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Jim Sterne                      Target Marketing of Santa Barbara
          805-965-3184                              http://www.targeting.com
          Consultant, Author, Speaker on Measuring Website Success
          Subscribe to "Sterne Measures" at  http://www.emetrics.org
        • Matt Belkin

            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 28, 2004
              That is fine, I will take matts place. I (with others) can present
              the tremendous leaps Ford has made in the last year. It is an
              awesome story. If you need details, contact me.

              Chris
              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Jim Sterne <jsterne@t...> wrote:
              > Rats!
              > I was counting on having you present at the Emetrics Summit
              > next year and now you've gone over to the vendor side and,
              > like Terry Lund, I can't have you give a presentation.
              > Harrumph!
              >
              > And all the best in your new position.
              >
              > At 02:17 PM 10/21/2004, Matt Belkin wrote:
              >
              > >Hi folks,
              > >
              > >Apologies for being a little quiet on the board lately…after an
              exciting
              > >few years building out Macromedia's marketing analytics group, I
              decided
              > >last month that it was time to move on. As you all know, I've
              been a big
              > >fan of optimization, the power of change, and helping folks
              leverage web
              > >analytics to be successful. In reflecting on this, I realized
              what better
              > >way to help people be successful than by joining a web analytics
              company.

              > >Over the past few weeks, I was fortunate enough to find a home at
              > >Omniture, and am now serving as the new VP of Analyst Services.
              It is
              > >really a fantastic opportunity - one that will allow me to not
              only work
              > >with many of you, but also to build a cutting-edge services
              organization.
              > >Of course, although I'm now on the "vendor-side", I expect to
              remain
              > >actively involved in this group (Eric, let the moderating begin)
              and look
              > >forward to many more great postings!
              > >
              > >Cheers, and feel free to contact me should you have any questions.
              > >
              > >Matt Belkin
              > >
              > >VP, Analyst Services
              > >
              > >mbelkin@o...
              > >

              > >---------------------------------------
              > >Web Metrics Discussion Group
              > >Moderated by Eric T. Peterson
              > >Author, Web Analytics Demystified
              >
              ><http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com>http://www.webanalyticsdemys
              tified.com

              > >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              >
              ><http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ck7de7/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001
              176/D=groups/S=1705005582:HM/EXP=1098490452/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96m
              f6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>
              > >click here
              > >
              > >[]

              group/webanalytics/

              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 30, 2004
                and how I wanted him to present at the next Emetrics Summit,
                Chris DAlessandro wrote:

                That is fine, I will take matts place.  I (with others) can present
                the tremendous leaps Ford has made in the last year.  It is an
                awesome story.  If you need details, contact me.

                Unfortunately, Chris, you are subscribed as chrisdalessandro@...
                So I don't know which one of these Chris DAlessandro's you are:

                The Military Policeman:
                http://www.militarypolice.com/names/dalessandrochris.html

                The 6'-1" 195 pounder from Pittston, Pa
                http://www.lycoming.edu/sports/football/2001%20roster.htm

                The 321 year old female Chris who came in 11th at the
                3rd Annual Cape May Triahtlon in 1999:
                http://users.erols.com/jaeger/1999/capemaytri99.htm

                Or the Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Chris at
                http://chris.dalessandro.com/

                So, I'm wondering if there's some way to encourage
                people to register using their business email addresses?
                Is that OK with people? Or shall we wait until the
                Web Analytics Association is up and running and then
                offer to register their identities in a public database?
                Seems unlikely that there would be two Chris DAlessandro's
                at Ford who are interested in web analytics.

                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 30, 2004

                  At 09:11 PM 10/28/2004, Chris DAlessandro wrote:
                  That is fine, I will take matts place.  I (with others) can present
                  the tremendous leaps Ford has made in the last year.  It is an
                  awesome story.  If you need details, contact me.

                  Anybody else care to throw their hat into the ring?
                  PLEASE email me off the list...
                  jsterne@...

                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 30, 2004
                    Regarding Jim's query:

                    > So, I'm wondering if there's some way to encourage
                    > people to register using their business email addresses?
                    > Is that OK with people? Or shall we wait until the
                    > Web Analytics Association is up and running and then
                    > offer to register their identities in a public database?
                    > Seems unlikely that there would be two Chris DAlessandro's
                    > at Ford who are interested in web analytics.

                    My inclination is to allow people to post using whatever address they
                    prefer with the exception of vendors, who I would very much appreciate
                    posting using their work address so that they are clearly identified
                    to all (yes, that mean you Mr. Belkin, please start posting from
                    omniture.com ...)

                    I like the idea of the WAA enforcing some kind of "who the heck are
                    you really" in their databases but that will be up to the BOD to
                    decide, eh?

                    Cheers,

                    Eric
                  • Jim Sterne
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 30, 2004
                      Regarding Jim's query:

                      At 11:37 AM 10/30/2004, Eric Peterson wrote:
                      My inclination is to allow people to post using whatever address they
                      prefer with the exception of vendors,

                      I think that makes a lot of sense.

                      I like the idea of the WAA enforcing some kind of "who the heck are
                      you really" in their databases but that will be up to the BOD to
                      decide, eh?

                      In what we all hope is a very short time, it'll be one of
                      those things that the *members* will decide!! The
                      Board of Directors just has to decide which legal advice
                      about starting-up makes the most sense. (Don't get me started  ;-)

                      Jim Sterne                      Target Marketing of Santa Barbara
                      805-965-3184                              http://www.targeting.com
                      Consultant, Author, Speaker on Measuring Website Success
                      Subscribe to "Sterne Measures" at  http://www.emetrics.org
                    • Peter Koeppel
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 30, 2004
                        Jim,

                        My own threshold for using my business e-mail (or ANY
                        email address, for
                        that matter) on the Internet is a high level of
                        comfort that the e-mail
                        address doesn't end up being used in ways I might not
                        approve of. My
                        measure of success is what shows up in my inbox.

                        I was out on the Internet so early (in the days when
                        commercial use was
                        still a no-no...) that my business e-mail got terribly
                        "polluted" later
                        on...

                        So, these days, I use easily replaced e-mail addresses
                        for just about
                        anything under the sun... it's CYA, but it works for
                        me.

                        I look at several criteria when deciding which one of
                        my e-mail
                        addresses to use:

                        - who am I sharing it with
                        - what is the official policy of the forum
                        owner/manager concerning
                        permissible use of e-mail addresses
                        - how well does the ISP hosting a forum protect the
                        forum participants'
                        e-mail addresses from being harvested...
                        - how well does the ISP whose e-mail address I'm using
                        screen out
                        unsolicited e-mail

                        The last two are really more CYA type questions, but I
                        do look at them
                        when deciding what e-mail address to use.

                        I think the only item on this list not fully met for
                        this web analytics
                        discussion group is the permissible use policy. I
                        didn't find anything
                        on that e.g. on
                        http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com/discussion_list.asp
                        . Should I
                        have looked elsewhere?

                        There is one other consideration for me, btw: the
                        capabilities of the
                        e-mail client I can use with different e-mail
                        addresses... and as much
                        as I enjoy using the e-mail client my employer has
                        standardized on for
                        business e-mail, calendar, collaboration and safety
                        ... support for
                        fora discussions is not is strongest point... that may
                        cause me yet to
                        stick with a non-employer address and a different
                        e-mail client which is
                        a little better suited to fora driven e-mails. But I
                        could set up yet
                        another Yahoo e-mail address which makes my business
                        association a
                        little clearer... :-\

                        Lest this last qualifier be mistaken as an attempt to
                        hide my identity
                        after all:

                        I'm Peter Koeppel; I work for IBM in the area of
                        knowledge management
                        for and knowledge delivery to IBMers, manage an
                        internal web site for
                        IBM as the knowledge delivery vehicle and am a user of
                        web analytics
                        tools. This is my personal sandbox:
                        http://home.stny.rr.com/koeppel/ ;
                        if you use Microsoft Internet Explorer as your
                        browser, be forewarned
                        that some of the pages will redirect you to ancient
                        stuff I haven't
                        maintained... you'll need a standards compliant
                        browser (Firefox .8 or
                        later, Mozilla 1.4 or later, Netscape 7 have been
                        tested) for some of
                        the more up to date pages. Nothing remotely as
                        interesting as
                        motorcycles and moderately rare Oregonian fungi
                        there...

                        Peter Koeppel

                        PS:

                        Jim,

                        Should I (anyone) be concerned about your reference to
                        a "public
                        database" for the Webanalytics Association membership
                        registration? I
                        apply pretty much the same criteria to a registration
                        in such a data
                        base as listed above...

                        Jim Sterne wrote:
                        > snip
                        >
                        > So, I'm wondering if there's some way to encourage
                        > people to register using their business email
                        addresses?
                        > Is that OK with people? Or shall we wait until the
                        > Web Analytics Association is up and running and then
                        > offer to register their identities in a public
                        database?
                        > Seems unlikely that there would be two Chris
                        DAlessandro's
                        > at Ford who are interested in web analytics.

                        snip

                        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                      • Jim Sterne
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 30, 2004
                          At 12:13 PM 10/30/2004, Peter Koeppel wrote:
                          My own threshold for using my business e-mail (or ANY
                          email address, for
                          that matter) on the Internet is a high level of
                          comfort that the e-mail
                          address doesn't end up being used in ways I might not
                          approve of.

                          Hear, hear!

                          Jim,

                          Should I (anyone) be concerned about your reference to
                          a "public
                          database" for the Webanalytics Association membership
                          registration? I
                          apply pretty much the same criteria to a registration
                          in such a data
                          base as listed above...

                          If the members of the WAA want to create a WAA
                          database then the Board will be happy to provide. But
                          like all other community repositories, each member will
                          choose how much to include in any public records. A
                          STRICT privacy policy will be maintained by the WAA
                          to the point where we have identified the need for and found
                          co-chairs for a Privacy Committee.

                          Excellent question!

                          Jim Sterne                      Target Marketing of Santa Barbara
                          805-965-3184                              http://www.targeting.com
                          Consultant, Author, Speaker on Measuring Website Success
                          Subscribe to "Sterne Measures" at  http://www.emetrics.org
                        • Stephen Turner
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
                            I agree with Peter. I'm very nervous about using my business address,
                            which is spam free, in a public group. But I'm always careful to sign
                            my messages with my affiliation. Do Eric, and for that matter the
                            group at large, feel that's good enough, or not?

                            --
                            Stephen Turner
                            CTO, ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
                              > The Military Policeman:
                              > http://www.militarypolice.com/names/dalessandrochris.html
                              >
                              > The 6'-1" 195 pounder from Pittston, Pa
                              > http://www.lycoming.edu/sports/football/2001%20roster.htm
                              >
                              > The 321 year old female Chris who came in 11th at the
                              > 3rd Annual Cape May Triahtlon in 1999:
                              > http://users.erols.com/jaeger/1999/capemaytri99.htm
                              >
                              > Or the Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Chris at
                              > http://chris.dalessandro.com/

                              Jim - I am none of the above, I am an enigma. No, actually I agree
                              with you but, unfortunately I like the automated email alerts that are
                              sent out and my corporate email won't let them through because the
                              appear to be "spam". After weeks of trying to convince my IT
                              department that they should let the email come in from specific
                              groups. I finally gave up and continued with using my secondary
                              email. I have sent you a follow-up email with my corporate email, if
                              you have any questions feel free to contact me using that address.

                              Chris D'Alessandro
                              www.chrisdalessandro.com (just a blank page... again .. enigma)
                            • Eric Peterson
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 31, 2004
                                > I agree with Peter. I'm very nervous about using my business address,
                                > which is spam free, in a public group. But I'm always careful to sign
                                > my messages with my affiliation. Do Eric, and for that matter the
                                > group at large, feel that's good enough, or not?

                                Again, my preference would be that vendors use their work email
                                address or at least clearly identify themselves as vendors when they
                                post. I suppose having a footer that says "CTO, ClickTracks" with the
                                company URL will suffice ;-)

                                Eric
                              • Jim Sterne
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
                                  At 10:39 AM 10/31/2004, Eric Peterson wrote:
                                  I suppose having a footer that says "CTO, ClickTracks" with the
                                  company URL will suffice ;-)

                                  That would make me happy. I understand
                                  all the issues with spam, but it's just nice to
                                  know where people are coming from.

                                  Jim Sterne, at a pretty nice hotel in Amsterdam.

                                  Jim Sterne                      Target Marketing of Santa Barbara
                                  805-965-3184                              http://www.targeting.com
                                  Consultant, Author, Speaker on Measuring Website Success
                                  Subscribe to "Sterne Measures" at  http://www.emetrics.org
                                • Mayer Gniwisch
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
                                    I'm eager to hear more about this WAA, is this a dream or is it a reality, I would love to see it happen.

                                    Mayer

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 1, 2004
                                      At 09:34 AM 11/1/2004, Mayer Gniwisch wrote:
                                      I'm eager to hear more about this WAA, is this a dream or is it a reality, I would love to see it happen.

                                      It's a reality!
                                      But not quite yet.

                                      There are seven Board Members who are working
                                      with accountants and attorneys to make sure we've
                                      got our ducks in a row. If you are interested in
                                      volunteering for committee work, please contact
                                      "Bryan Eisenberg" <bryane@...>
                                      who is in charge of keeping the list.

                                      Once the paperwork is neat and tidy, we'll be making
                                      a lot of noise - trying to get people to help us make
                                      a lot of noise  ;-)