Audience Segmentation Question

  • Bobby Hewitt
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2006
      I have a question about what the best way to analyze data for a website that has several different product categories ranging from sewing to printing to industrial products, so each category has a different target market. Additionally, each category is run as a separate unit with different business owners and different goals for each section.

      Should I view each product category as an individual website segregating the visits to each unit? i.e. just look at the numbers of visitors that view an individual category Or look at it more like an entire site? i.e. look at the numbers of visitors of an individual category in relation to the entire site

      For example:
      Should I calculate the Average Page Views Per Visit and other calculations like example 1 or example 2:

      Example 1:
      Page Views of the entire site / Visits of an individual segment = Average Page Views per Visit

      Example 2:
      Page Views of an entire segment / Visits of an entire segment = Average Page Views per Visit

      Yahoo! Mail
    • Debora Geary
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2006
        I think the key to what you said is that the business owners are
        organized by product categories. I try hard to give people data on
        the corner of the universe they care about, so yes, producing
        reports by product area sounds smart. However, it might also be
        enlightening to question the initial assumption that the site areas
        are targeted at different audiences - how many people view pages in
        more than one area, for example?

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Bobby Hewitt <bobbymx52001@...>