RE: [webanalytics] Understanding content value - SEO specific question

  • jon.bovard@bt.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
      Understanding content value - SEO specific question
      Hey Steve, thanks for the reply

      To a degree yes.

      The situation is we have a 'Keyword' and we are trying to work out what part of the site has been the 'best' place to drive traffic into, be it PPC or Organic traffic

      For a very large business with lots of different areas of the site, you need to review existing search traffic ROI by keywords and understand
      1) the value of the traffic
      2) how that value translates into various parts of the site

      We know that Keyword X has delivered Y value. How then do we relate that to the site structure? More specifically how do we relate that back to an entry page

      The actionable component from all this is to then know what entry pages or areas of the site deserve the be optimised for search traffic the most

      An example might be that a Keywords report tells you that 'Red sports cars' gives you massive ROI and sales. How then do you find the entry page(s) that Red sports cars typically would drive people into your site. (Lets assume that you have 10,000 keywords that deliver you value)

      The difficulty is building a report to produce something actionable. So far nobody I have spoken to has been able to give me a clever answer

      Jon

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
        Understanding content value - SEO specific question

        Hi Jon,

        I may not be reading the question right but my instinct tells me that this may be quite hard to do in a reporting environment and may require some analytical muscle thrown at it.

        If I read the question as being “which combinations of keywords and entry pages/locations result in the highest value outcome?”  then I would probably look to tackle that outside of a web analytics reporting environment. I would look to export data at the visit level with some key attributes of the visit such as keyword, entry page/location, conversion value etc and put those through some data mining routines to look for strong correlations between the various attributes.

        Happy to chat further offline if I’m on the right track in terms of what you’re asking.

        Neil

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
          Understanding content value - SEO specific question
          Hi Jon,
          I'm still a bit confused as to what you mean I think..

          I imagine like most other systems (it's been a while since I worked with Omniture) that Omniture will allow you to find the converting keywords and drill down to find the entry pages people landed on using those keywords. So in your "Red Sports Car" example, you would know, "Red Sports Car" had x-amount of entry pages - then you would be able to see which entry pages converted best. But I think you know that already.

          Are you saying that 10,000 pages may be the entry point (hypothetically speaking for "red sports car") and you're looking to determine the best combination of ways to optimize those pages to drive more value through them? Then you might need to look at multivariate testing perhaps.

          Cheers,

          -----

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
            Understanding content value - SEO specific question
            Thanks Steve

            You are right - this is one of those questions Web analysts get asked "simple question - without a simple answer" situations

            I need to do some more thinking

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
                Yeah John, I think I am pretty clear on what you are trying to achieve. Sounds like a job for ASI, so that you could filter out data specific to customers coming through natural search efforts. The ASI would then allow you to access other critical reports that may help you to understand your 'value'.

                I am guessing you may need another s_prop/custom insight to pass in the actual page rank, which I get from another application. I don't think SC has a report around page rank at all. But because of Omniture's flexibility, I wouldn't be surprised if one could be developed. In any event, I think this is a solid project and one I wouldn't mind developing with my other custom Omniture projects.

                Best

                Sr. Strategic Marketing Analyst
                Ciena Corporation

                jon.bovard@... wrote:
[...]

                ---------------------------------------
                Web Metrics Discussion Group
                Moderated by Eric T. Peterson
                Author, Web Analytics Demystified
                http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com

              • Hugo Calvo
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
                  Understanding content value - SEO specific question

                  Hi Jon,

                  I think I do understand your question.

                  With Clicktracks Professional there is an advance visitor labelling called “Used a certain search engine query”. With this label you will get all sorts of metrics specific to visitors that used the specific keyword to enter the site like the list of entry/exit pages, the pages with most views, etc. I know that it would be probably tedious to do this for many keywords.

                  You use Omniture… well I haven’t needed to do this before with this tool (nor Webtrends) so I haven’t investigated this problem thoroughly. When I have time I will give it a go!

                  Another way that I can think of doing this is getting a tool (or write a script yourself) that can go through the log files and strip the lines where the referrers are search engines. You can then mine the data yourself and get the list of entry pages by keywords.

                  Cheers,

                  Hugo Calvo

                  Consultant

                  Hurol Inan & Associates - Web Strategy & Analytics Consultants

                  +61 4 2462 5128 (mobile)

                  +61 2 9319 2122 (land line)

                  +61 2 9012 0805 (fax)

                  hugo_calvo@... (MSN Messenger)

                  Web Analytics Workshop Series 2006 - Canberra , Sydney , Brisbane , Melbourne & Adelaide
                  Learn how to optimise your website for you and your customers

                  Are you getting ATTUNED?
                  The latest issue looked at setting targets for metrics. Sign up now!

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006
                    Jon,

                    It seems more like more like a PPC optimization project than Organic
                    traffic as you can't control landing pages for Organic.

                    It's been a while since I've been in a SC report suite but I don't
                    believe that you can do any of the following:
                    1) Commerce > Entry Pages X Paid Search Keywords
                    2) Traffic > Paid Search Terms X Entry Page
                    3) Commerce > Site Section X Paid Search Keywords X Entry Page

                    Perhaps you investigate implementing a VISTA rule to allow for one
                    of the three scenarios above and then create a top 20-100 dashboard
                    with Visits, Conversion, Revenue, and Bounce Rate (at the entry page
                    level).

                    As for Organic keywords, I usually take strong performers and
                    conduct test buys (PPC) for derivatives of the keyword/phrase.
                    Organic keywords land you the page that is the most relevant, makes
                    sense to do the same for paid keywords.

                    BTW: are you using SearchCenter?

                    Perry Lee
                    BillupsDesign
                    nakji@...

                    --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, <jon.bovard@...> wrote:

                    > Hey Steve, thanks for the reply
                    >
                    > To a degree yes.
                    >
                    > The situation is we have a 'Keyword' and we are trying to work out
                    what
                    > part of the site has been the 'best' place to drive traffic into,
                    be it
                    > PPC or Organic traffic
                    >
                    > For a very large business with lots of different areas of the
                    site, you
                    > need to review existing search traffic ROI by keywords and
                    understand
                    > 1) the value of the traffic
                    > 2) how that value translates into various parts of the site
                    >
                    > We know that Keyword X has delivered Y value. How then do we
                    relate that
                    > to the site structure? More specifically how do we relate that
                    back to
                    > an entry page
                    >
                    > The actionable component from all this is to then know what entry
                    pages
                    > or areas of the site deserve the be optimised for search traffic
                    the
                    > most
                    >
                    > An example might be that a Keywords report tells you that 'Red
                    sports
                    > cars' gives you massive ROI and sales. How then do you find the
                    entry
                    > page(s) that Red sports cars typically would drive people into your
                    > site. (Lets assume that you have 10,000 keywords that deliver you
                    value)

                    > The difficulty is building a report to produce something
                    actionable. So
                    > far nobody I have spoken to has been able to give me a clever
                    answer

                    > Jon
                    >
                    > ________________________________

                    t=ms&k=Internet+business+plan&w1=Internet+

                    business+plan&w2=Start+internet+business&w3=Internet+business&w4=Inte
                    rne

                    t+business+online&w5=Internet+home+business&w6=Internet+business+cons
                    ult
                    > ing&c=6&s=172&.sig=zt73ZSET6LWbiIBjXz4kTw> Start internet
                    business
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Start+internet+business&w1=Internet

                    +business+plan&w2=Start+internet+business&w3=Internet+business&w4=Int
                    ern

                    et+business+online&w5=Internet+home+business&w6=Internet+business+con
                    sul
                    > ting&c=6&s=172&.sig=dtWCCIEZJwFStZMq36mVsg> Internet business
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Internet+business&w1=Internet+busin

                    ess+plan&w2=Start+internet+business&w3=Internet+business&w4=Internet+
                    bus

                    iness+online&w5=Internet+home+business&w6=Internet+business+consultin
                    g&c
                    > =6&s=172&.sig=CPZUtZVvJngrMIkoFHIn6g>
                    > Internet business online
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Internet+business+online&w1=Interne

                    t+business+plan&w2=Start+internet+business&w3=Internet+business&w4=In
                    ter

                    net+business+online&w5=Internet+home+business&w6=Internet+business+co
                    nsu
                    > lting&c=6&s=172&.sig=XOB8bkdGZeFa3DE6a6ePZg> Internet
                    home business
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Internet+home+business&w1=Internet+

                    business+plan&w2=Start+internet+business&w3=Internet+business&w4=Inte
                    rne

                    t+business+online&w5=Internet+home+business&w6=Internet+business+cons
                    ult
                    > ing&c=6&s=172&.sig=JnfFEP_1J8lHakY6xSuf6g> Internet business
                    > consulting
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Internet+business+consulting&w1=Int

                    ernet+business+plan&w2=Start+internet+business&w3=Internet+business&w
                    4=I

                    nternet+business+online&w5=Internet+home+business&w6=Internet+busines
                    s+c
                    > onsulting&c=6&s=172&.sig=h60sg9Zjp8UgS3YE-YtU6A>

                    subject=Unsubscribe>

                    > Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Jakari Barbee
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 3, 2006

                      One thing that could be done is carrying over whatever keyword tracking variable you use into the page name.  This can be done with a simple script.  In the reports you would then see page name + keyword id…… it will screw up the page counts.  So once you find what you need, be sure to change it back.

                      Jakari Barbee

                      Web Marketing Specialist |
                      jakari@... | WebMetro.com
                      Direct Line: 909.542.1359

                      Phone: 909.599.8885 | Fax: 909.599.8887 |
                      160 East Via Verde Ave,
                      Suite 220 | San Dimas, CA 91773

                      It seems more like more like a PPC optimization project than Organic
                      traffic as you can't control landing pages for Organic.

                      It's been a while since I've been in a SC report suite but I don't
                      believe that you can do any of the following:
                      1) Commerce > Entry Pages X Paid Search Keywords
                      2) Traffic > Paid Search Terms X Entry Page
                      3) Commerce > Site Section X Paid Search Keywords X Entry Page

                      Perhaps you investigate implementing a VISTA rule to allow for one
                      of the three scenarios above and then create a top 20-100 dashboard
                      with Visits, Conversion, Revenue, and Bounce Rate (at the entry page
                      level).

                      As for Organic keywords, I usually take strong performers and
                      conduct test buys (PPC) for derivatives of the keyword/phrase.
                      Organic keywords land you the page that is the most relevant, makes
                      sense to do the same for paid keywords.

                      BTW: are you using SearchCenter?

                      Perry Lee
                      BillupsDesign
                      nakji@...

                      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, <jon.bovard@...> wrote:

                      > Hey Steve, thanks for the reply

                      > To a degree yes.

                      > The situation is we have a 'Keyword' and we are trying to work out
                      what
                      > part of the site has been the 'best' place to drive traffic into,
                      be it
                      > PPC or Organic traffic

                      > For a very large business with lots of different areas of the
                      site, you
                      > need to review existing search traffic ROI by keywords and
                      understand
                      > 1) the value of the traffic
                      > 2) how that value translates into various parts of the site

                      > We know that Keyword X has delivered Y value. How then do we
                      relate that
                      > to the site structure? More specifically how do we relate that
                      back to
                      > an entry page

                      > The actionable component from all this is to then know what entry
                      pages
                      > or areas of the site deserve the be optimised for search traffic
                      the
                      > most

                      > An example might be that a Keywords report tells you that 'Red
                      sports
                      > cars' gives you massive ROI and sales. How then do you find the
                      entry
                      > page(s) that Red sports cars typically would drive people into your
                      > site. (Lets assume that you have 10,000 keywords that deliver you
                      value)

                      > The difficulty is building a report to produce something
                      actionable. So
                      > far nobody I have spoken to has been able to give me a clever
                      answer

                      > Jon
                      >
                      > ________________________________

                      subject=Unsubscribe>

                      >       *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
                      > Terms of Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Debora Geary
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 4, 2006
                        Not to make this any more difficult :), but I think there is the
                        additional issue of the path the user takes through the site.
                        Landing page is one factor, but say you determine via some PPC A/B
                        testing that Page A is the better landing page. Maybe it doesn't
                        have much to do with Page A, only that Page A has a clearer call to
                        action down a path that is better at converting.

                        For example, one of my clients recently tested sending some pretty
                        generic keywords to their home page or a category page. The home
                        page produced more conversions, but deeper analysis showed that the
                        valuable traffic was people going off the homepage through an
                        educational pathway ("New to widgets, start here..."). Moving
                        the "New to" path to the category page made it the more effective
                        landing page. In this case, for SEO, they could have created almost
                        any page and connected it to the "new to" pathway, which was the
                        truly valuable content.

                        This matters in figuring out what to SEO because some pages are
                        better SEO candidates than others. In my example above, SEO of the
                        category page would be far easier, so it might be preferable to fix
                        the effectiveness of the easier landing pages to SEO.

                        And how you get that in a nice pretty report, I have no idea, LOL!

                        Debora