Finding and defining an intern

  • jwb96
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
      My manager has gotten the green light to pursue getting a summer
      intern to help lighten our workload. So my questions are: what can I
      expect to find for reasonably qualified persons willing to take an
      internship? Where can I find these people? Do MBA candidates take
      internships? (I'm thinking the MBA pool would more likely have the
      type of people we'd need to get up to speed more quickly and take on
      some of the responsibilities I'd like to get rid of, if only
      temporarily).

      I work for a fairly large multi-channel retailer, using one of the
      main analytic providers. What I don't want to do is spend half the
      summer just getting someone up to speed on how to use Excel, never
      mind the analytics tool. I realize there aren't many programs yet
      specific to web marketing, analysis, etc., but as I'm writing a job
      description, what can I reasonably expect and require? And does the
      shortage of experienced web analysts also suggest there's a shortage
      of inexperienced people looking to get started in this field?

      I followed some threads earlier about where we all got started, but
      now I'm more interested specifically in where to find intern
      candidates/prospective new analysts, hoping that this field is getting
      more academic attention.

      Thanks,
      Jim
    • enriquejgonzales
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
        MBAs do take internships. If an intership related to web analytics
        had existed in the summer of 1993 at the end of my first year of
        B-school at UT-Austin, I would have fallen over myself to get it!

        Well, if it would have had anything to do with media as well.

        Enrique Gonzales

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "jwb96" <jwb96@...> wrote:

        > My manager has gotten the green light to pursue getting a summer
        > intern to help lighten our workload. So my questions are: what can I
        > expect to find for reasonably qualified persons willing to take an
        > internship? Where can I find these people? Do MBA candidates take
        > internships? (I'm thinking the MBA pool would more likely have the
        > type of people we'd need to get up to speed more quickly and take on
        > some of the responsibilities I'd like to get rid of, if only
        > temporarily).
        >
        > I work for a fairly large multi-channel retailer, using one of the
        > main analytic providers. What I don't want to do is spend half the
        > summer just getting someone up to speed on how to use Excel, never
        > mind the analytics tool. I realize there aren't many programs yet
        > specific to web marketing, analysis, etc., but as I'm writing a job
        > description, what can I reasonably expect and require? And does the
        > shortage of experienced web analysts also suggest there's a shortage
        > of inexperienced people looking to get started in this field?
        >
        > I followed some threads earlier about where we all got started, but
        > now I'm more interested specifically in where to find intern
        > candidates/prospective new analysts, hoping that this field is getting
        > more academic attention.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Jim

      • Amer, Mike
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
          I think most full-time MBA students look for an internship between their
          first and second years. I know I did, and most of my fellow students did as
          well. I'd think a school with E-Commerce, Marketing Research or Information
          Systems programs would be a good place to look for an analytics intern. I
          think those types of people would have the type of quantitative, business,
          and communication skills that make good analysts. Give them a cubicle, a
          PC, and a copy of 'Web Analytics Demystified' and you're all set.

          - Mike Amer

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
            Well, if the MBA programs can't help, try zoology :). Seriously,
            find a science grad student who has taken a few stats courses.
            They're likely to have decent analytics skills, a good grasp of
            Excel, and a love of the esoteric. Not to mention a desperate need
            for employment, and undying gratitude to you in case you want to
            keep them around at the end of the summer.

            (This is how I ended up in marketing analytics 10 years ago).

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "jwb96" <jwb96@...> wrote:

            > My manager has gotten the green light to pursue getting a summer
            > intern to help lighten our workload. So my questions are: what
            can I
            > expect to find for reasonably qualified persons willing to take an
            > internship? Where can I find these people? Do MBA candidates take
            > internships? (I'm thinking the MBA pool would more likely have the
            > type of people we'd need to get up to speed more quickly and take
            on
            > some of the responsibilities I'd like to get rid of, if only
            > temporarily).
            >
            > I work for a fairly large multi-channel retailer, using one of the
            > main analytic providers. What I don't want to do is spend half the
            > summer just getting someone up to speed on how to use Excel, never
            > mind the analytics tool. I realize there aren't many programs yet
            > specific to web marketing, analysis, etc., but as I'm writing a job
            > description, what can I reasonably expect and require? And does
            the
            > shortage of experienced web analysts also suggest there's a
            shortage
            > of inexperienced people looking to get started in this field?
            >
            > I followed some threads earlier about where we all got started, but
            > now I'm more interested specifically in where to find intern
            > candidates/prospective new analysts, hoping that this field is
            getting
            > more academic attention.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Jim

          • Fred Kuu
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
              Jim,
              I would also recommend picking a project and make sure the project has
              a clear scope, achievable milestones, and clear expectations of the
              results (and how the project will help your organization). I would
              not recommend having the intern assume day-to-day responsibilities,
              for the reason you mentioned - by the time you get the intern up to
              speed, they're already going back to school. Focus on projects with
              clear results, such as "automating" time-consuming tasks or
              investigative projects (how do we track a certain workflow and perhaps
              have the intern manage the implementation).

              I agree with Debora. You don't necessarily need to look at just MBA
              candidates but should look at other graduate programs.

              -Fred

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Debora Geary" <dgeary@...> wrote:

              > Well, if the MBA programs can't help, try zoology :). Seriously,
              > find a science grad student who has taken a few stats courses.
              > They're likely to have decent analytics skills, a good grasp of
              > Excel, and a love of the esoteric. Not to mention a desperate need
              > for employment, and undying gratitude to you in case you want to
              > keep them around at the end of the summer.
              >
              > (This is how I ended up in marketing analytics 10 years ago).
              >

              > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "jwb96" <jwb96@> wrote:
              > >
              > > My manager has gotten the green light to pursue getting a summer
              > > intern to help lighten our workload. So my questions are: what
              > can I
              > > expect to find for reasonably qualified persons willing to take an
              > > internship? Where can I find these people? Do MBA candidates take
              > > internships? (I'm thinking the MBA pool would more likely have the
              > > type of people we'd need to get up to speed more quickly and take
              > on
              > > some of the responsibilities I'd like to get rid of, if only
              > > temporarily).
              > >
              > > I work for a fairly large multi-channel retailer, using one of the
              > > main analytic providers. What I don't want to do is spend half the
              > > summer just getting someone up to speed on how to use Excel, never
              > > mind the analytics tool. I realize there aren't many programs yet
              > > specific to web marketing, analysis, etc., but as I'm writing a job
              > > description, what can I reasonably expect and require? And does
              > the
              > > shortage of experienced web analysts also suggest there's a
              > shortage
              > > of inexperienced people looking to get started in this field?
              > >
              > > I followed some threads earlier about where we all got started, but
              > > now I'm more interested specifically in where to find intern
              > > candidates/prospective new analysts, hoping that this field is
              > getting
              > > more academic attention.
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > > Jim

            • Simon Austin
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 2, 2006
                Does it really even need to be at the grad school level?

                A computer science, math, stats, physics, chem, or engineering undergrad with a decent interest in their third or fourth year would probably be sufficient.

                My background is a physics undergrad with a computer science minor and it has served me quite well.

                If you're looking in canada I'd recommend contacting the universities directly.  UBC and Waterloo specifically spring to mind.  UBC because of it's web analytics course( http://www.tech.ubc.ca/metrics/), and Waterloo because of it's great student co-op program (and of course b/c it's where I went to school).

                Cheers,
                - Simon

                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/