Differences between "Persistent cookies" & "Session-based cookies"

  • majl015
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2006
      Differences between "Persistent cookies" & "Session-based cookies"

      I'm currently working with my company's security team and deciphering
      whether or not our current privacy policy says we do or don't allow
      persistent cookies. Currently our set-up is with a 1st party
      persistent cookie. However, based on a few folks here, we should be
      using session-based cookies. I'd would choose persistent cookies but
      if our policy suggest otherwise, I will need to re-strategize our
      current model.

      Anyhow, I'm hoping that some of the more seasoned veterans out here
      can offer some insights between the two as well as cases where one of
      used over the other. Positives, negatives… challenges faced – etc.

      Thoughts, recommendations or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks in advance.
    • alec_cochrane
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 2006
        Assuming your session based cookies are stored on the browser for as
        long as the browser is open, they are written immediately that the
        visitor hits the site and they are not rewritten within the site - you
        will have a unique ID for each browser session. This means that the
        simple act of closing a browser will mean that you'll think that you
        are tracking an entirely new visitor. Hence your info on unique
        visitors, repeat visitors, etc will be tainted. I'm fairly confident
        that the information within a visit will be of the same accuracy. The
        sessional cookie tends to be used by backend systems to link form data
        that the visitor has posted on one page to the form data they post on
        the next page.

        The persistent cookies will give you more information on unique
        visitors, repeat visitors, etc - although as mentioned in an earlier
        post on this forum ('cookies or no cookies') there are inaccuracies in
        this as well. The persistent cookies also allow you to set
        preferences, so that when the visitor re-enters the site they don't
        lose any changes they made. This is more a usability thing than an
        analytics thing - but the two are intrinsically linked.

        The problems that you'll face are that your customers will assume that
        your figures are accurate to the nth degree - so you just need some
        coaching and some clever analysis.

        A little rewording of your privacy policy would probably allow you to
        use both sessional and persistent. I think that British Airways is
        very good and worth a look.

        Alec