Another interesting read provided by one of the fine vendors ...

  • Eric Peterson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2004
      Folks,

      While I was reading some of the great questions that are floating
      across the wire now I got my most recent copy of WebTrends
      WebResults. While normally this email is pretty WebTrends-centric
      (and why wouldn't it be?) they included a link to a document they're
      publishing that I found very interesting. You can get the PDF from:

      http://download.netiq.com/CMS/WHITEPAPER/Industry_Insiders_final.pdf

      What they've done is compile data from a handful of industry sources
      (Jupiter included) and use it to pain a picture of how companies are
      using Web analytics. Some interesting data points (or, interesting
      to me):

      * Most Web sites don't think of themselves as providing "customer
      support"

      * It is impossible to ask someone what their conversion rate is and
      get any meaningful answer, evidenced by 23.9% answering "I haven't
      the foggiest idea" and 5.7% indicating "over 21%" (which I
      sincerely, sincerely doubt is an order or buyer conversion rate)

      * Less than 20% of companies provide analytics (WebTrends) reports
      to executive staff on a daily/weekly basis.

      Anyway, I encourage you all to check this report out as it's
      basically free data to help you benchmark your individual efforts
      against the larger market. WebTrends is pretty fast-and-loose with
      numbers, not telling us what "n" is in most instances, but hey, it's
      their data.