Re: FYI: US to Probe Contractor's Web Tracking - WebTrends

  • Neil Raden
    Message 1 of 94 , Jan 1, 2006
      Hi Jim,

      (Long time no see :-) )

      I don't even know why we need cookies anymore. I can't even fart on
      the web without having to "register."

      OK, that was gross, but you get my point. Please, no lectures about
      cookies, I get it. But has anyone else noticed how oppressive this
      registration business is? I can't download a frickin vendor whitepaper
      without giving them my blood type (boiling, if they must know). I let
      people download whatever they want from my site, no cookies, no
      registration. I figure if they don't contact me, I'd be wasting my
      time tracking them. That's my brand of low-brow web analytics. I
      realize it wouldn't work for everyone...

      -NR

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Jim Sterne <jsterne@t...> wrote:

      > At 01:06 PM 12/31/2005, Debora Geary wrote:
      > >Since Amazon
      > >insists on remembering my maiden name, I'm not as fond of them
      > >remembering me as you are :)...
      >
      > Fortunately, Amazon lets you change your name. Click
      > on Your Account
      >
      > And you're absolutely right about the perceived value.
      > It's an uphill battle.

      > Emetrics Summit, Web Analytics Conference
      > Santa Barbara, April 18 - 20, 2006
      > London, 3-5 May www.emetrics.org
      > Jim Sterne www.targeting.com +1-805-965-3184
      > President, www.WebAnalyticsAssociation.org

    • Kenneth Yapkowitz
      Message 94 of 94 , Jan 6, 2006
        Here's an interesting data mining exercise someone tried with some publicly
        available on-line data, the Amazon wish-lists:

        http://www.applefritter.com/bannedbooks

        This is an opt-in program, of course. But how many people are thinking
        about this kind of use when they opt in?

        ---==>Ken
        ken@...