Useful Metrics To Check Following A Global Site Redesign?

  • Jaimie Scott
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 28, 2005
      While my particular group is a long way from a fully functioning web
      analytics program, we have recently implemented Omniture SiteCatalyst
      and have data available. Unfortunately, we don't have KPI's defined
      yet. Our site is more of a content / lead generation site than
      anything else. We are currently working on a major site redesign that
      will be rolled out in a month or so. I'm looking for basic metrics
      that I can use to gauge the effectiveness of the redesign. Things
      such as bounce rate from all pages that will provide an overall
      measure of whether or not the site redesign improved site performance.

      Jaimie
    • Debora Geary
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 28, 2005
        I think that one of the most important things with global sites is to
        look at metrics from logical regional visitor subsets. I did a
        project with a client this past summer - large, global support site.
        The main support site had been in English, with a new portal in a
        second language introduced more recently. Changes to the support
        ticket submission process worked fine for English users with a longer
        history with the site, but had a strongly negative impact on the
        second language users.

        I also find that with a redesign, it helps to do a pre-post comparison
        that goes beyond KPIs. This is one of those cases where a dive into
        the data by a good analyst can really pay off, I think. That said,
        here are some of my favorite metrics for content sites:

        1) content depth - for the key content areas on your site, how deeply
        are people reading (pages viewed/visitor who reaches that content area)
        2) content breadth - for the key content areas on your site, how many
        visitors reach at least 75% of these (defining key content areas can
        be a challenging but worthwhile exercise)
        3) % of short visits

        For a redesign, I'd also look hard at any changes in visitor behavior
        from major search engine or referral sources.

        And lastly, not sure how you track the source of your leads, but I'd
        watch that data (and any other relevant offline data) in the month
        before and after the new site launch too.

        Debora

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Jaimie Scott" <srvf@c...> wrote:

        > While my particular group is a long way from a fully functioning web
        > analytics program, we have recently implemented Omniture SiteCatalyst
        > and have data available. Unfortunately, we don't have KPI's defined
        > yet. Our site is more of a content / lead generation site than
        > anything else. We are currently working on a major site redesign that
        > will be rolled out in a month or so. I'm looking for basic metrics
        > that I can use to gauge the effectiveness of the redesign. Things
        > such as bounce rate from all pages that will provide an overall
        > measure of whether or not the site redesign improved site
        performance.

        > Jaimie

      • Thomas Bosilevac
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 28, 2005
          I just completed the analysis of the launch of several localized global websites.  The project also entailed adding a couple more language selections to the overall corporate site.  I also had the pleasure of being the first to impliment web analytics a month before the complete redesign.  I will second Debora's metrics ... but will add the following:

          1)  Scenario Analysis to identify when (and if) the user chooses another language.  I found that this is not always on the first encounter, and by looking at this scenario you can identify best practices on how to persuade the person to select their native language
          2)  New vs. Returning Users by Langage/Country
          3)  Traffic from Geographic regions.  From what I gathered from your email, this may be your primary KPI.  Is traffic increasing from countries outside the US.  I used a combo dial and pie chart to gauge the decrease of domestic traffic (good news) and the month to month rise in traffic from other countries.
          4)  Not really a KPI, but for your teams sake you will want to see if there is a difference of Top Pages from one country to the next, and one language to the next.  This will help you localize your content, and make decisions on which content to translate (or not).

          Issues that I encountered.
          1)  Taxonomy Changes:  One of the biggest flaws in doing a complete redesign is that usually taxonomy changes.  Unless your site has a very clear path in which users follow, and this path does not change, it is very hard to analyze apples to apples.

          2)  Technical Changes:  If you are also changing the technical architecture of the website (changing CMS, going from log file to page tagging methodologies, cache changes) your traffic may seem to completely change.  In my case, our traffic plummeted.  It was a fun task to let everyone know that the redesign did not make all the users go away, it had to do with technical issues.

          3)  Search Engine Changes:  you will likely see a huge dip in your search engine traffic as the spiders re-index the new content.

          There are a host of others ... feel free to call or email me offline for more help.
          --------------------------------------
          Thomas Bosilevac
          Independent Web Analytics Consultant
          Phone:  (309) 360-3722
          Email:  Bosilevac@...
          -------------------------------------

          On 12/28/05, Debora Geary <dgeary@...> wrote:
          I think that one of the most important things with global sites is to
          look at metrics from logical regional visitor subsets.  I did a
          project with a client this past summer - large, global support site.
          The main support site had been in English, with a new portal in a
          second language introduced more recently.  Changes to the support
          ticket submission process worked fine for English users with a longer
          history with the site, but had a strongly negative impact on the
          second language users.

          I also find that with a redesign, it helps to do a pre-post comparison
          that goes beyond KPIs.  This is one of those cases where a dive into
          the data by a good analyst can really pay off, I think.  That said,
          here are some of my favorite metrics for content sites:

          1) content depth - for the key content areas on your site, how deeply
          are people reading (pages viewed/visitor who reaches that content area)
          2) content breadth - for the key content areas on your site, how many
          visitors reach at least 75% of these (defining key content areas can
          be a challenging but worthwhile exercise)
          3) % of short visits

          For a redesign, I'd also look hard at any changes in visitor behavior
          from major search engine or referral sources.

          And lastly, not sure how you track the source of your leads, but I'd
          watch that data (and any other relevant offline data) in the month
          before and after the new site launch too.

          Debora

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Jaimie Scott" < srvf@c...> wrote:

          > While my particular group is a long way from a fully functioning web
          > analytics program, we have recently implemented Omniture SiteCatalyst
          > and have data available. Unfortunately, we don't have KPI's defined
          > yet. Our site is more of a content / lead generation site than
          > anything else. We are currently working on a major site redesign that
          > will be rolled out in a month or so. I'm looking for basic metrics
          > that I can use to gauge the effectiveness of the redesign. Things
          > such as bounce rate from all pages that will provide an overall
          > measure of whether or not the site redesign improved site
          performance.

          > Jaimie

          ---------------------------------------
          Web Metrics Discussion Group
          Moderated by Eric T. Peterson
          Author, Web Analytics Demystified
          http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          --

        • joyabillings
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 29, 2005
            I agree, but I'm not sure whether you are doing an international site
            or not...

            I would just add to focus on your promary goal. If lead generation is
            your primary goal, and content is your secondary goal, look at your
            referrals and steps to conversions (if applicable).
            If your site concentrates on content, check out the click-path
            behavior before and after the redesign. I agree with Thomas about
            taxonomy, but the click-paths should reflect the site's goals in
            visitor behavior-more so after the redesign (we hope!). See if new
            visitors are taking longer to get to certain content areas than
            before. Check the abandonment rate for certain areas of the site to
            see if they are getting hung up where they weren't before...

            Just some thoughts...

            --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Bosilevac <bosilevac@g...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            > >
            > > Debora
            > >

            > > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Jaimie Scott" <srvf@c...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > While my particular group is a long way from a fully functioning web
            > > > analytics program, we have recently implemented Omniture
            SiteCatalyst
            > > > and have data available. Unfortunately, we don't have KPI's defined
            > > > yet. Our site is more of a content / lead generation site than
            > > > anything else. We are currently working on a major site redesign
            that
            > > > will be rolled out in a month or so. I'm looking for basic metrics
            > > > that I can use to gauge the effectiveness of the redesign. Things
            > > > such as bounce rate from all pages that will provide an overall
            > > > measure of whether or not the site redesign improved site
            > > performance.
            > > > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

          • Jaimie Scott
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 6, 2006
              Yes, our site is international. Thanks for your input Debora, Thomas,
              and Joy! You gave me some great ideas for metrics to take a look at
              after our redesign. It will be interesting to see how the taxonomy
              changes complicate the analysis.

              Jaimie

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "joyabillings"