Alexa

  • brassplume
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 21, 2005
      Does anybody use their Alexa traffic ranking (http://www.alexa.com) as
      part of their WA picture? I have a feeling this is a sort of devil's
      advocate question... I have Eric's latest book, and I'm sure it will
      make me brilliant, but if the only two things WA do are: 1) show
      usability faults; and, 2) the results of a marketing initiative, then
      doesn't your relative popularity rank count? In fact, isn't it an
      extremely powerful indicator of success and failure?

      Chris
    • Barbara Thomas
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 21, 2005
        I use it. It's just one of the pieces in the picture puzzle that I
        provide. There are several facets in the information I provide and
        competitive ranking vs. competitors or overall ranking are metrics I
        utilize with that tool - always using a disclaimer that this reflects a
        percentage of users and not the Internet as a whole. (I work with small
        budgets and can't afford the other subscription tool providing similar
        but uses a bigger slice of the Internet pie for higher level of
        confidence in results.) I'm extremely happy with the fees that I pay
        with Alexa (FREE).

        BT
        Creative Tactics

        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 21, 2005
          Has anyone compared the Alexa data for several websites and come up with margin of error statistics for Alexa data by comparing to your own "known" traffic numbers?

          Ed Henrich
          President
          Henrich Enterprises, Inc.

          Turning data & information into insight & action.

          (510) 903-1405

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 21, 2005
            I've been playing around with Geo IP code and noticed that Google Analytics
            can break down a Country into State and then further down into a postcode /
            suburb. Whats a good Geo package would be capable of providing this level of
            information especially for Australia?

            Cheers,
            Ernest
          • seby_nabler
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 21, 2005
              Hi all,

              My first post in this group. I was watching the mails for the last
              two days and it's an amazing place to learn and share.

              I have one more question related to what Ernest is asking. I
              understand that WebTrends is using GeoTrends database to report
              countries and organization (or is it just countries). Is it possible
              to get this kind of database from a 3rd party. The only vendor I know
              who sells company IP database is maxmind. But that is just a flat
              file and requires a lot of cleaning before we can use it. Does any
              one know from where it's possible to procure reasonably good company
              IP database and country IP database.

              Regards,
              Seby

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Ernest Semerda" <ernest@s...>
              wrote:

              > I've been playing around with Geo IP code and noticed that Google
              Analytics
              > can break down a Country into State and then further down into a
              postcode /
              > suburb. Whats a good Geo package would be capable of providing this
              level of
              > information especially for Australia?
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Ernest

            • Ernest Semerda
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 21, 2005
                I found another one here: http://www.hostip.info/dl/index.html
                seems to be free too!

                On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 03:40:20 -0000, seby_nabler wrote
                > Hi all,
                >
                > My first post in this group. I was watching the mails for the last
                > two days and it's an amazing place to learn and share.
                >
                > I have one more question related to what Ernest is asking. I
                > understand that WebTrends is using GeoTrends database to report
                > countries and organization (or is it just countries). Is it
                > possible to get this kind of database from a 3rd party. The only
                > vendor I know who sells company IP database is maxmind. But that is
                > just a flat file and requires a lot of cleaning before we can use
                > it. Does any one know from where it's possible to procure
                > reasonably good company IP database and country IP database.
                >
                > Regards,
                > Seby
                >
                > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Ernest Semerda" <ernest@s...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > I've been playing around with Geo IP code and noticed that Google
                > Analytics
                > > can break down a Country into State and then further down into a
                > postcode /
                > > suburb. Whats a good Geo package would be capable of providing
                > this level of > information especially for Australia? > > Cheers,
                > > Ernest >
                >

                > ---------------------------------------
                > Web Metrics Discussion Group
                > Moderated by Eric T. Peterson
                > Author, Web Analytics Demystified

                > Internet business plan Start internet business Internet
                > business Internet business online Internet home business
                > Internet business consulting

                > Service.

                Kind Regards,
                Ernest Semerda

                Purpleblue Pty Ltd
                (e) ernest@...
                (w) www.purpleblue.com.au
                (m) 0402 205755
              • Fred Kuu
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 21, 2005
                  Another geolocation vendor is Quova.

                  -Fred

                  --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "seby_nabler" <seby@n...> wrote:

                  > Hi all,
                  >
                  > My first post in this group. I was watching the mails for the last
                  > two days and it's an amazing place to learn and share.
                  >
                  > I have one more question related to what Ernest is asking. I
                  > understand that WebTrends is using GeoTrends database to report
                  > countries and organization (or is it just countries). Is it possible
                  > to get this kind of database from a 3rd party. The only vendor I know
                  > who sells company IP database is maxmind. But that is just a flat
                  > file and requires a lot of cleaning before we can use it. Does any
                  > one know from where it's possible to procure reasonably good company
                  > IP database and country IP database.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Seby
                  >
                  > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Ernest Semerda" <ernest@s...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I've been playing around with Geo IP code and noticed that Google
                  > Analytics
                  > > can break down a Country into State and then further down into a
                  > postcode /
                  > > suburb. Whats a good Geo package would be capable of providing this
                  > level of
                  > > information especially for Australia?
                  > >
                  > > Cheers,
                  > > Ernest

                • Seby Kallarakkal
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 21, 2005
                    Thanks Fred. I took a look at their site and looks interesting.
                    Unfortunately they don't provide the database of companies. My
                    clients are interested in finding the organizations that are visiting
                    them. So far only maxmind has given that data. Would be great to know
                    if there are more. (I changed the subject line so that I don't hijack
                    Ernest's post)

                    Seby

                    > Another geolocation vendor is Quova.
                    >
                    > -Fred
                    >
                    > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "seby_nabler" <seby@n...>
                    wrote:

                    > > Hi all,
                    > >
                    > > My first post in this group. I was watching the mails for the
                    last
                    > > two days and it's an amazing place to learn and share.
                    > >
                    > > I have one more question related to what Ernest is asking. I
                    > > understand that WebTrends is using GeoTrends database to report
                    > > countries and organization (or is it just countries). Is it
                    possible
                    > > to get this kind of database from a 3rd party. The only vendor I
                    know
                    > > who sells company IP database is maxmind. But that is just a flat
                    > > file and requires a lot of cleaning before we can use it. Does
                    any
                    > > one know from where it's possible to procure reasonably good
                    company
                    > > IP database and country IP database.
                    > >
                    > > Regards,
                    > > Seby
                  • Jon Bovard
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 22, 2005
                      Message
                      Ernest, im assuming that geocodes in Aussie are as accurate as the UK or the USA
                      in which case we use http://www.maxmind.com/ which seems to test very accurately 98%+
                      Im guessing that the majority of the major network infrastructure is owned and/or operated by one or two major telcos (Optus/Telstra?) so maybe its quite accurate?

                      jon
                      I've been playing around with Geo IP code and noticed that Google Analytics
                      can break down a Country into State and then further down into a postcode /
                      suburb. Whats a good Geo package would be capable of providing this level of
                      information especially for Australia?

                      Cheers,
                      Ernest

                      CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
                      The information in this email is confidential and is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not read, use or disseminate the information. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Net a Porter Ltd.

                      Net A Porter Ltd is a company registered in England & Wales Number: 3820604 Registered Office: The Dome, Whiteleys Centre, 151 Queensway, London, W2 4YN.
                    • Mathieu Jondet
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 22, 2005
                        Seby Kallarakkal wrote:
                        > Thanks Fred. I took a look at their site and looks interesting.
                        > Unfortunately they don't provide the database of companies. My
                        > clients are interested in finding the organizations that are visiting
                        > them. So far only maxmind has given that data. Would be great to know
                        > if there are more. (I changed the subject line so that I don't hijack
                        > Ernest's post)
                        >
                        > Seby

                        Hi Seby,
                        one way to find such information is to look at the Whois databases for
                        a given IP.

                        For example the following IP 195.93.102.35 returns the following whois
                        information:

                        inetnum: 195.93.64.0 - 195.93.127.255
                        netname: AOL-EU-2
                        descr: AOL Inc
                        country: US
                        admin-c: AOL5-RIPE
                        tech-c: AOL5-RIPE
                        status: ASSIGNED PA
                        mnt-by: AOL-EU-MNT
                        mnt-lower: AOL-EU-MNT
                        source: RIPE # Filtered

                        So you know that the organisation behing this IP is AOL Europe.
                        The drawback is that the company need to have registered a block of IP
                        to RIPE for example, so that it can appear in the result of a whois query.

                        I don't know if a vendor is able to provide databases containing this
                        information apart from registrars who have full access to whois database
                        (I don't know if they have the right to do that also), but by querying
                        whois servers with list of IP you could find the associated company if
                        they have registered a block of IP.

                        Regards,
                        Mathieu
                      • Ram Kattubadi
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 22, 2005
                          Hello Seby Kallarakkal,
                          we have dabase in MS SQL .mdb file. If you want we can sell it to you.
                          It has City,State, country information.
                          If interested please let us know.
                          with regards,
                          Ram Kattubadi.

                          ---------------------------------------
                          Web Metrics Discussion Group
                          Moderated by Eric T. Peterson
                          Author, Web Analytics Demystified
                          http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com

                          Ram Kattubadi,
                          GAR Technologies, Inc
                          4220 Kirkwood Suite B,
                          Houston,TX-77072
                          832.351.3610 (off)
                          832.465.1223 (cell)
                          866.351.3610 (toll free)
                          281.495.2191 (fax)
                          www.GARTechnologies.com
                        • Brian Carroll
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 22, 2005
                            Message
                            You might check out either Digital Envoy or Akamai (their "EdgeScape" product).

                            Both have Australia coverage.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 22, 2005
                              For geo data, from point of view of quality data, the leaders seem
                              to be:

                              NetGeo (Verifia)
                              DigitalEnvoy
                              Quova
                              Akamai

                              Low-cost contenders seem to be:
                              Maxmind
                              IP2Location
                              GeoBytes

                              WT

                              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Carroll" <BCarroll@n...>
                              wrote:

                              > You might check out either Digital Envoy or Akamai
                              (their "EdgeScape"
                              > product).
                              >
                              > Both have Australia coverage.
                              >
                              > _____

                            • brassplume
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 22, 2005
                                > this reflects a percentage of users and not the Internet as a whole.

                                Hi BT,

                                How is Alexa creating an incomplete picture? You make it sound as
                                though Alexa leaves something out. Does it?

                                Chris
                              • Stephen Turner
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 22, 2005
                                  --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "brassplume" <brassplume@y...> wrote:

                                  > How is Alexa creating an incomplete picture? You make it sound as
                                  > though Alexa leaves something out. Does it?

                                  It only includes people who use the Alexa toolbar, who are not
                                  necessarily representative of the general population of internet
                                  users. See http://pages.alexa.com/prod_serv/traffic_learn_more.html

                                  --
                                  Stephen Turner
                                  CTO, ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 22, 2005
                                    Dr. Turner,

                                    Thank you for answering that question for me.
                                    The page you cited was very instructive.

                                    Chris
                                  • Seby Kallarakkal
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 24, 2005
                                      Hi,

                                      Thanks for that list. That was a really nice comprehensive list.

                                      Seby

                                      wrote:

                                      > You might check out either Digital Envoy or Akamai
                                      (their "EdgeScape"
                                      > product).

                                      > Both have Australia coverage.
                                      >
                                      >   _____

                                    • Seby Kallarakkal
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 24, 2005
                                        Thanks Mathieu. We were trying to automate the whole thing. Hence looking for a database, rather than whois service.

                                        Seby