Re: [webanalytics] Tags/Logs

  • Eric Peterson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 2004
      Dalla,

      It's interesting that you sent an email into SPSS asking about them
      contact you and you have not heard back yet. Can I ask what/who you
      emailed and roughly when? Perhaps I can make a phone call on your
      behalf.

      You are correct, SPSS does not offer solutions widely considered to be
      "inexpensive" but they do offer very powerful solutions for
      intergrating different data sources (a historical strength, pre-SPSS)
      and focus on using the data to predict future behavior (predictive
      analytics I believe they call it).

      I'm also interested in hearing what "free" log file analysis solution
      you're thinking of using. I'll admit I'm not super familiar with
      no-cost solutions other than knowing that they're out there -
      Webalyzer, FunnelWeb, Analog. I do know that at least one member of
      the discussion group had been using Analog prior to moving to a
      tag-based solution ... maybe she'll pop up and offer insight ;-)

      Eric

      On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:36:58 -0000, dallatana <dalla@...> wrote:
      > SPSS NetGenesis does have the capability of merging client
      > side tags with logs. Does anyone use NetGenesis? I have not
      > seen a demo yet, but I have sent them an e-mail about
      > contacting me. However, I've yet to hear from them! Additionally,
      > I'm sure NetGenesis is a big bucks solution ! But for a large
      > enterprise organization they certainly have a lot to offer in the way
      > of data mining software/ASP products, that tie into each other
      > and to various data sources and integrations (CRM, predictive
      > analysis/modeling, OPLAP, etc.)
      > I'm currently evaluating vendors as I mentioned in a previous
      > posting. I will probably pick a client side tagging solution, but will
      > continue to process log files, probably with a 'free' solution. Log
      > files are particularly important from a security standpoint, and
      > also to monitor robot behavior which in some cases ties in with
      > security or at the very least disruptive robot practices.

      Eric T. Peterson
      Author, Web Analytics Demystified
      www.webanalyticsdemystified.com