WebTrends

  • vsamhuinnv
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 13, 2004
      So here is kind of a general opinion question I guess. We are
      currently evaluating new metrics vendors and are very close to a final
      decision. I have a question about WebTrends for everyone though. In
      many rankings they are listed #1, they have been around forever, they
      seem to be looked on as one of the standards, but to be honest, I have
      not seen anything in working with them that really ranks them that
      much higher then the other vendors we are looking at. I guess my
      question is, what are we missing?? They have a very solid solution,
      however all the vendors we are looking at have very good analytics
      solutions and any of them would probably work just fine for us. But
      there is so much talk about WebTrends and how great they are, I am
      just wondering if there is something else that we are not seeing.
      Thanks up front!!

      ~ Ian ~
    • Jim Novo
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 13, 2004
        Wow, man tosses hand grenade into discussion group.

        I can tell you that as an analytics consultant I have to work with a lot of
        different web site set-ups and I appreciate the fact that WT can be run as
        tag or log, and tag data collection can be hosted or in-house. All using
        the same interface, with the capability to switch between modes and
        increase the capabilities of the system from basic to mid-range to "pro" as
        client matures. If you are only analyzing one set-up and you know exactly
        what you need, then these issues probably don't matter.

        If you are taking about a banking web site and you need to use tag
        technology there may be some concerns about having that data hosted
        elsewhere, so make sure you get a system where you can host the tag data
        collection yourself. I certainly am not familiar with all the details of
        all the apps out there; there are probably solutions other than WT that can
        do this but I don't know of any.

        Vendors, enlighten me!

        Jim

        > So here is kind of a general opinion question I guess. We are
        > currently evaluating new metrics vendors and are very close to a final
        > decision. I have a question about WebTrends for everyone though. In
        > many rankings they are listed #1, they have been around forever, they
        > seem to be looked on as one of the standards, but to be honest, I have
        > not seen anything in working with them that really ranks them that
        > much higher then the other vendors we are looking at. I guess my
        > question is, what are we missing?? They have a very solid solution,
        > however all the vendors we are looking at have very good analytics
        > solutions and any of them would probably work just fine for us. But
        > there is so much talk about WebTrends and how great they are, I am
        > just wondering if there is something else that we are not seeing.
        > Thanks up front!!
        >
        > ~ Ian ~
        >

        > ---------------------------------------
        > Web Metrics Discussion Group
        > Moderated by Eric T. Peterson
        > Author, Web Analytics Demystified
        > http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Service.

      • Stephen Turner
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 14, 2004
          I have to be careful here, because I work for one of WebTrends'
          competitors. But I think that your perception is accurate. WebTrends
          are the "default option" in this space, partly by virtue of being the
          first commercial program. They have a good product, but so do other
          vendors. You should evaluate which is the best option for you, which
          may be WebTrends, but may not.

          --
          Stephen Turner
          CTO, ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "vsamhuinnv" <ian.crowell@h...>
          wrote:
          > So here is kind of a general opinion question I guess. We are
          > currently evaluating new metrics vendors and are very close to a
          final
          > decision. I have a question about WebTrends for everyone though.
          In
          > many rankings they are listed #1, they have been around forever,
          they
          > seem to be looked on as one of the standards, but to be honest, I
          have
          > not seen anything in working with them that really ranks them that
          > much higher then the other vendors we are looking at. I guess my
          > question is, what are we missing?? They have a very solid
          solution,
          > however all the vendors we are looking at have very good analytics
          > solutions and any of them would probably work just fine for us.
          But
          > there is so much talk about WebTrends and how great they are, I am
          > just wondering if there is something else that we are not seeing.
          > Thanks up front!!

        • vsamhuinnv
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 14, 2004
            > Wow, man tosses hand grenade into discussion group.

            well, ya gotta make things interesting every now and then, just wanna
            make sure all you vendors out there know i'm not bashing WebTrends in
            any way, just curious if anyone else feels the same way....

            ~ ian ~

            > I can tell you that as an analytics consultant I have to work with a
            lot of
            > different web site set-ups and I appreciate the fact that WT can be
            run as
            > tag or log, and tag data collection can be hosted or in-house. All
            using
            > the same interface, with the capability to switch between modes and
            > increase the capabilities of the system from basic to mid-range to
            "pro" as
            > client matures. If you are only analyzing one set-up and you know
            exactly
            > what you need, then these issues probably don't matter.
            >
            > If you are taking about a banking web site and you need to use tag
            > technology there may be some concerns about having that data hosted
            > elsewhere, so make sure you get a system where you can host the tag
            data
            > collection yourself. I certainly am not familiar with all the
            details of
            > all the apps out there; there are probably solutions other than WT
            that can
            > do this but I don't know of any.
            >
            > Vendors, enlighten me!
            >
            > Jim

          • Chris Grant
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 15, 2004
              The ability to host yourself or use ASP, to use tags or logs, and to
              switch in midstream among them (with differing amounts of
              transparency) is really worth considering.

              I used to dislike WebTrends but it has come soooo far in the last
              couple years. It's quite a different animal now from the plain
              vanilla, hampered-by-legacy-technology creature that it was for a
              long time. I'm not familiar with all the competitors but until
              recently I kept detailed, inch-by-inch comparisons of functionality
              to help our clients choose the right solution, and WebTrends crept
              up and up in the ranks. For example, it does real path analysis -
              i.e. the unit of analysis is the whole path, as opposed to
              displaying pseudo-paths made up of a chain of "most popular clicks
              from this page" strung together. I guess I have worked directly
              with four of the top players.

              Right now I value this about WebTrends 7 Enterprise: 1) the latest
              incarnation of custom reports is pretty powerful and versatile, 2) I
              constantly use one particular custom report filter, the one that
              filters visits according to whether a specific page of your choice
              happened at any point in the visit, 3) it's used so widely that
              there's a lot of peer help out there, 4) they have a recent history
              of being quite responsive to user input (I have first-hand
              experience with that responsiveness), 5) it can export reports to
              Excel as pivot tables that not only can be updated from the Excel
              interface, but can be the basis for your own custom overlay Excel
              report templates with any manipulations you can figure out how to
              do, 6) it has a cool little auto-updating desktop dashboard that
              skips the need for opening WT reports for a wide selection of basic
              graphs and stats, and 7) the pricing model for the software allows
              me to do as much customization, re-analysis, multiple profiles and
              templates as I want.

              What I don't currently like about WT is that the documentation could
              be a lot better, and that there are still a lot of features I want.
              But then, I was trained in multivariate statistics so I tend to be
              ridiculously demanding. Other people will have different dislikes,
              I'm sure.

              Disclosure statement: I have a connection to WebTrends - after a
              year of bitching and yelling at their tech support a few years ago,
              they daringly invited me to their customer advisory board, where I
              continue to bitch and yell. And I (we) do a lot of contract setup,
              analysis, troubleshooting, reporting, etc with WT 7. But I use
              other products too whenever I get the chance. My employer is a
              reseller but we're trying to be resellers of other solutions as well.

              It would be so cool to have an item like this for other solutions.
              Dare we?
            • brian@omegadm.co.uk
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 16, 2004
                I wrote a review of 3 analytics products last year - Webtrends,
                Urchin, Sawmill.

                http://www.search-engine-
                professionals.co.uk/newsletters/whitepapers.shtml

                Things have moved along since then but the review is still pretty
                valid.

                Omega Digital Media Ltd

                I N T E G R A T E D ~ W E B ~ S O L U T I O N S

                Phone: +44 (0)1444 410202
                Fax: +44 (0)1444 456814

                http://www.omegadm.co.uk
                Cuckfield House, High Street, Cuckfield, West Sussex RH17 5EL
              • Donald Taylor
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 21, 2004
                  Brian,
                  I took a look at the product review on your site...but I noticed the WebTrends product you compared/studied was WT 8.0 (log analyzer). Certainly Harvest (Urchin) 5.0 is much better than the log analyzer tool, but how did it fair against the Web Reporting Center 7.0 product?

                  Thanks for your insight,
                  Don

                  brian@... wrote:
                  I wrote a review of 3 analytics products last year - Webtrends,
                  Urchin, Sawmill.

                  http://www.search-engine-
                  professionals.co.uk/newsletters/whitepapers.shtml

                  Things have moved along since then but the review is still pretty
                  valid.

                  Omega Digital Media Ltd

                       I N T E G R A T E D ~ W E B ~ S O L U T I O N S

                  Phone: +44 (0)1444 410202
                  Fax:   +44 (0)1444 456814

                  http://www.omegadm.co.uk
                  Cuckfield House, High Street, Cuckfield, West Sussex RH17 5EL

                  ---------------------------------------
                  Web Metrics Discussion Group
                  Moderated by Eric T. Peterson
                  Author, Web Analytics Demystified
                  http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com

                  Do you Yahoo!?

                • sprung_nick
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 25, 2004
                    Hi Jim,

                    I'm with Urchin software and currently we use a combination of tags
                    and log files to collect a website's data. Because of the inaccuracy
                    of using IP based tracking, we have a small piece of Javascript code
                    which you reference from each page. Through a first party cookie
                    exchange, this script uniquely identifies each visitor to your site,
                    regardless if they have a dynamically assigned IP address, if the page
                    is being served through proxy servers or viewed as a cached pages.

                    Urchin is designed to sit on one reporting machine and has a scheduler
                    built in to automatically retrieve log files from multiple sources
                    through FTP, HTTP and HTTPS. Urchin achieves a compression ratio of
                    1:10 and once the information is in our database, you can view all of
                    your data over any date range.

                    For us this has been the most effecient method to track websites.
                    Urchin can process 1.5 Gigs of data over 8 load balanced servers in
                    ~20 minutes. A previous Webtrends user who had 150 websites with ~2
                    Mb/site, Webtrends took 10-15 minutes to process each site. Using
                    Urchin, it took 5 minutes to complete everything.

                    With our new offerings of Urchin 6.0 including page overlays, defined
                    funnal navigational analysis and geotargeting visitor segmentation
                    tools, I'm suprised at the lack of Urchin discussion in this group?

                    -Nick

                  • Matt Belkin
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 26, 2004
                      Hi Nick,

                      Perhaps you could enlighten the group by highlighting what you believe are
                      some key differentiators of Urchin? Since my involvement in Web Analytics,
                      I've come across your company several times - however, in reviewing your
                      product, I've been challenged to understand exactly what sets you apart from
                      many of the other companies in the field. I'd love to hear more about it.

                      Also, I just checked your website (I hadn't been there in many months).
                      Please do not take this the wrong way, but don't you think it's a bit
                      misleading to use Sun's logo in the case studies area? When I first saw
                      this, I was impressed - since last time I spoke to Sun, they were using a
                      different Web Analytics product. However, in clicking on the case study, I
                      noticed it's not about Sun - but rather, 'bigredwire' - a small telecom
                      company that happens to use Sun as the OS for their analytics.

                      Cheers, Matt.

                      ---------------------------------------
                      Web Metrics Discussion Group
                      Moderated by Eric T. Peterson
                      Author, Web Analytics Demystified
                      http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com
                      <http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com>

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129klel47/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/
                      D=groups/S=1705005582:HM/EXP=1096299541/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*htt
                      p://companion.yahoo.com> click here

                      s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=132329597>

                      _____

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Eric Peterson
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 26, 2004
                        Folks, I'm sorry ... I should not have approved such a vendor-focused
                        post. It's been a busy weekend and I didn't read this closely enough.
                        Won't happen again and I'll talk to the guys at Urchin about not
                        doing this.

                        Eric

                        On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 06:12:15 -0000, sprung_nick <sprung_nick@...> wrote:
                        > Hi Jim,
                        >
                        > I'm with Urchin software and currently we use a combination of tags
                        > and log files to collect a website's data. Because of the inaccuracy
                        > of using IP based tracking, we have a small piece of Javascript code
                        > which you reference from each page. Through a first party cookie
                        > exchange, this script uniquely identifies each visitor to your site,
                        > regardless if they have a dynamically assigned IP address, if the page
                        > is being served through proxy servers or viewed as a cached pages.
                        >
                        > Urchin is designed to sit on one reporting machine and has a scheduler
                        > built in to automatically retrieve log files from multiple sources
                        > through FTP, HTTP and HTTPS. Urchin achieves a compression ratio of
                        > 1:10 and once the information is in our database, you can view all of
                        > your data over any date range.
                        >
                        > For us this has been the most effecient method to track websites.
                        > Urchin can process 1.5 Gigs of data over 8 load balanced servers in
                        > ~20 minutes. A previous Webtrends user who had 150 websites with ~2
                        > Mb/site, Webtrends took 10-15 minutes to process each site. Using
                        > Urchin, it took 5 minutes to complete everything.
                        >
                        > With our new offerings of Urchin 6.0 including page overlays, defined
                        > funnal navigational analysis and geotargeting visitor segmentation
                        > tools, I'm suprised at the lack of Urchin discussion in this group?
                        >
                        > -Nick
                        >
                        > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Novo" <jim@j...> wrote:
                        > > Wow, man tosses hand grenade into discussion group.
                        > >
                        > > I can tell you that as an analytics consultant I have to work with a
                        > lot of
                        > > different web site set-ups and I appreciate the fact that WT can be
                        > run as
                        > > tag or log, and tag data collection can be hosted or in-house. All
                        > using
                        > > the same interface, with the capability to switch between modes and
                        > > increase the capabilities of the system from basic to mid-range to
                        > "pro" as
                        > > client matures. If you are only analyzing one set-up and you know
                        > exactly
                        > > what you need, then these issues probably don't matter.
                        > >
                        > > If you are taking about a banking web site and you need to use tag
                        > > technology there may be some concerns about having that data hosted
                        > > elsewhere, so make sure you get a system where you can host the tag data
                        > > collection yourself. I certainly am not familiar with all the
                        > details of
                        > > all the apps out there; there are probably solutions other than WT
                        > that can
                        > > do this but I don't know of any.
                        > >
                        > > Vendors, enlighten me!
                        > >
                        > > Jim

                        Have you joined the Metrics Discussion Group? Email
                        webanalytics-subscribe@yahoogroups.com to join today!
                      • Chris Grant
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 29, 2004
                          Regarding the discussions and mentions of specific products, I
                          wouldn't mind if this forum kept exclusively to generic
                          discussions. That's where the value is for me.