Re: [webanalytics] Re: Job: Gateway.com, Irvine, CA

  • ccaudill@aol.com
    Message 1 of 46 , Oct 1, 2005
      I'm currently a webmaster at a small, family-owned company that has a huge name in the sports industry.  Because of our size, I am responsible for development, email marketing, analytics...anything web-related.  My first undergraduate degree was in computer information systems.  This lead to my career as a developer.  However, I also have a degree in marketing and I enjoy looking at the numbers, seeing what works and recommending changes.  We do not have a full-time web analytics position and I rarely see job postings for similar positions in my area (Louisville, KY).

      Christopher

      In a message dated 9/30/2005 5:44:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time, eric.peterson@... writes:
      Many companies aren't looking for junior people (per your description)
      until they have a senior person already in place.  That said, I do
      agree with your assessment that HR misses the mark from time-to-time
      when looking for these folks.

      The question really becomes this: How do you get/find an "experience
      webmaster with a business degree" who is actually interested in doing
      web data analysis for a living (not just looking for the salary, etc.)
      Do any of the folks following this thread fit that description and if
      so, willing to outline how you got from where you were to where you are?

      My suspicion is that mostly these are internal hires but I could be wrong.

      Great conversation, folks!

      Eric

      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Dave Wagner <dave@c...> wrote:
      > Hi Eric,
      >
      > The HR people have defined the requisite qualifications for the job
      > incorrectly, in my humble opinion.  The people they seem to want
      > wouldn't want to do that job or are tied up in other roles in the
      > current market.  Any experienced webmaster with a business degree has
      > the raw materials to do entry-level web analytics, considering the
      > tools available now.  Drop the requirements for an engineering
      > degree, drop the MBA and shave a little off the starting salary and
      > you're there...
      >
      > Best wishes,
      >
      > Dave
      >
      > At 12:58 PM 9/30/2005, you wrote:
      > >Dave, what planet are you recruiting web data analysts from?
      > >
      > >Your comment "The industry is so glutted with talent people that most
      > >web analytics people (other than those writing books) are
      > >under-employed" bears little or no semblance to my experience with
      > >companies trying to find web analytics talent I just had to ask.
      > >
      > >I'm obviously not going to dispute that most of the folks on this list
      > >are very talented web data analysts (or have the potential to be) but
      > >I would also venture that very few of them are actively looking for
      > >jobs at the present time.  I mean, correct me if I'm wrong here folks,
      > >but nearly every company I've talked to in the last 12 months has been
      > >struggling to find qualified applicants for openings in web data
      > >analysis.  Sheesh, even Bob Page at Yahoo! has dozens of openings and
      > >Yahoo! is purported to be a great place to work!
      > >
      > >My suspicion is that, at any given time, there are fewer than a dozen
      > >qualified and experienced folks actively looking for new opportunities
      > >out there.  Juxtapose that against the hundreds of available openings
      > >and perhaps you'll understand Terrence and David's pain.
      > >
      > >Anyway, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
      > >
      > >All the best,
      > >
      > >Eric "the over-worked analytics author" Peterson
      > >

      > >--- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Dave Wagner <dave@c...> wrote:
      > > > Hi Terrence,
      > > >
      > > > What specifically do you mean by "having a difficult time finding
      > > > qualified candidates"?  This list is swarming with talented
      > > > people.  The industry is so glutted with talent people that most web
      > > > analytics people (other than those writing books) are
      > > > under-employed.  Where are you advertising?
      > > >
      > > > Best wishes,
      > > >
      > > > Dave

      Diego

      Gateway is

      Gateway,

      <<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>Yahoo!

      > > Terms of Service.

      > > > Dave Wagner
      > > > Vice President, Marketing
      > > > CommerSel Software, Inc.
      > > > <http://www.commersel.com>http://www.commersel.com
      > > > dave@c...
      > > >  >>> Network with professionals at:
      > > <http://www.linkedin.com>http://www.linkedin.com <<<
      > >

      > >---------------------------------------
      > >Web Metrics Discussion Group
      > >Moderated by Eric T. Peterson
      > >Author, Web Analytics Demystified
      >
      ><http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com>http://www.webanalyticsdemystified.com

      > >business plan

      > >internet business

      > >business

      > >business online

      > >home business

      > >business consulting

      > >    *

      > >    *
      > >    *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
      > >

      > >----------
      >

      > Dave Wagner
      > Vice President, Marketing
      > CommerSel Software, Inc.
      > http://www.commersel.com
      > dave@c...
      >  >>> Network with professionals at: http://www.linkedin.com <<<

      Click Here!

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • anikarenina
      Message 46 of 46 , Oct 5, 2005
        I've been enjoying this thread too much to stay quiet.

        I would venture to say that the iSchools have been overlooked as a
        potential source of qualified candidates. By iSchools, I mean the
        dozen or so Information Schools that have been established over the
        past decade. Not information technology, but information from a
        wholly different, human-centered perspective, often rooted in
        traditional librarianship. While programs vary between these schools,
        the University of Michigan's specializations are: Library &
        Information Services; Archives & Records Management; Information
        Economics, Management & Policy; Human-Computer Interaction; and a
        "Tailored" make-your-own-master's option. The School of Information
        curriculum is a professional program requiring real-world skills
        application for graduation. The most recent Interactions from SIGCHI
        examines HCI curricula and university programs in some detail.

        My HCI program requires coursework in programming, stats, usability,
        user interface design, human behavioral psych, and offers courses in
        information architecture, CSCW, information visualization, etc. So
        far, all of my coursework has been directly applicable to web
        analytics practice in one fashion or another.

        I've my undergrad in math with nearly as much economics; adding in an
        MSI in Human-Computer Interaction, I expect to be well prepared for
        the profession. However, I also fall into that fortunate
        grown-your-own-analyst category as well--I would never have gotten
        into the field had I not landed a timely internship with a
        strategically-minded department in a company savvy enough to keep me
        on part-time as a student. I also skipped the HR queue when applying,
        which is great because my resume didn't scream "analyst,"
        pointy-headed or otherwise.

        Andrea

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "joyabillings"