Hello,

  • GEOFFREY ROWLAND
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 7, 2005
      Hello,

      New to the list. Main reason for wanting to join is I am evaluating some web analytics applications, and hoping to get some advice. I'm a web developer by trade (mainly PHP/MySQL but also have experience with Perl, Python, postgreSQL and many others). At my previous place of employment, I managed a WebTrends 7 installation, however I'm not sure WebTrends is the right product for our current site.

      The site I am dealing with is mainly an on-line library. We are concerned with where users are coming from, what pages are most popular, and if certain monthly email newsletters help draw users to the site. "Pretty" reports would help explain the results to our funders, which is why I am drawn to a product like WebTrends or Urchin. However, we have a limited budget, which makes me think that one of the free / open source applications may work.

      Anyone have any good suggestions? Seems like so many of the products are geared towards e-commerce, which is not something I am concerned about for this site (or ever will be).

      Cheers,
      Geoff
    • Jon Bovard
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7, 2005
        Message
        Geoff

        the one line you wrote below that means the difference between a free piece of software and a costed version is
        "and if certain monthly email newsletters help draw users to the site"

        once you start tracking marketing campaigns your out of the league of the free software. i think.
        last time i checked none of the open source software tracked marketing campaigns.
        Low end Urchin is still reasonably cheap/good value. what budget do you have?

        Jon

        p s- why someone has taken the time to build postgreSQL and mySQL to rival Oracle and SQL Server -- but nobody has written anything (decent) to rival the commercial web analytics vendors?....probably a question of scale/R&D...

[...]

        CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
        The information in this email is confidential and is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not read, use or disseminate the information. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Net a Porter Ltd.

        Net A Porter Ltd is a company registered in England & Wales Number: 3820604 Registered Office: The Dome, Whiteleys Centre, 151 Queensway, London, W2 4YN.
      • brian@omegadm.co.uk
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 7, 2005
          > Jon
          >
          > p s- why someone has taken the time to build postgreSQL and mySQL to rival Oracle and SQL
          > Server -- but nobody has written anything (decent) to rival the commercial web analytics
          > vendors?....probably a question of scale/R&D...

          Good question - I would guess database functionality has
          remained pretty much the same since computer databases first
          became know. However I think with analytics, the product is
          moving so fast, you need a team of engineers/programmers working
          full time... hence the cost.

          --
          Brian Clifton
          UK Urchin reseller http://www.omegadm.co.uk
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 7, 2005
            It is pretty tough to get pretty reports on a low budget. Also, you've
            got to define your conversion points (e.g. clicking through from a
            newsletter as opposed to buying something); and then any one of the
            major solutions will answer your need quite as well as if you were an
            e-commerce site. The vast majority of WA users do not run e-commerce
            sites, as far as I can tell.

            --Andrew Edwards

            GEOFFREY ROWLAND wrote:

            >Hello,
            >
            >New to the list. Main reason for wanting to join is I am evaluating some web analytics applications, and hoping to get some advice. I'm a web developer by trade (mainly PHP/MySQL but also have experience with Perl, Python, postgreSQL and many others). At my previous place of employment, I managed a WebTrends 7 installation, however I'm not sure WebTrends is the right product for our current site.
            >
            >The site I am dealing with is mainly an on-line library. We are concerned with where users are coming from, what pages are most popular, and if certain monthly email newsletters help draw users to the site. "Pretty" reports would help explain the results to our funders, which is why I am drawn to a product like WebTrends or Urchin. However, we have a limited budget, which makes me think that one of the free / open source applications may work.
            >
            >Anyone have any good suggestions? Seems like so many of the products are geared towards e-commerce, which is not something I am concerned about for this site (or ever will be).
            >
            >Cheers,
            >Geoff

            Andrew Edwards
            Managing Partner
            Technology Leaders
            230 Park Avenue
            New York, NY 10169
            (212) 808-3058
            Cell: (917) 602-0083
            aedwards@...
            www.technologyleaders.com
          • Debora Geary
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 8, 2005
              Hi Geoff,

              I'd take a look at ClickTracks or the free version of NetTracker
              (NetTracker lite) if you can't find an open source solution that
              would work (and please share if you find an open source solution
              that does). I have used ClickTracks basic ($500) for several
              smaller non-ecommerce & non-profit sites, and it's great for the
              type of information you need to extract. It has limited reporting
              capabilities, but I find that I tend to pull information into Excel
              for my reporting anyhow, so I just make Excel pretty. NetTracker
              lite has more canned reporting, but I still use Excel :).

              Debora

              --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, GEOFFREY ROWLAND
              <growland@j...> wrote:
              > Hello,
              >
              > New to the list. Main reason for wanting to join is I am
              evaluating some web analytics applications, and hoping to get some
              advice. I'm a web developer by trade (mainly PHP/MySQL but also
              have experience with Perl, Python, postgreSQL and many others). At
              my previous place of employment, I managed a WebTrends 7
              installation, however I'm not sure WebTrends is the right product
              for our current site.

              > The site I am dealing with is mainly an on-line library. We are
              concerned with where users are coming from, what pages are most
              popular, and if certain monthly email newsletters help draw users to
              the site. "Pretty" reports would help explain the results to our
              funders, which is why I am drawn to a product like WebTrends or
              Urchin. However, we have a limited budget, which makes me think
              that one of the free / open source applications may work.

              > Anyone have any good suggestions? Seems like so many of the
              products are geared towards e-commerce, which is not something I am
              concerned about for this site (or ever will be).

              > Cheers,
              > Geoff
            • June Li
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 9, 2005
                Hi Geoff,
                To view NetTracker Lite in action, take a look at Chris D'Allessandro's Blog.
                He's made his NetTracker (and Statcounter) stats visible to everyone.

                June Li

                ClickInsight www.ClickInsight.ca

                http://mail.yahoo.com