Extracting Full URL strings from Omniture...then combining data

  • dcato33
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 2005
      Hello All,

      Here's my issue....

      I need to create a report that shows:

      All click throughs and visitors for a single URL over a specific time
      frame in Omniture. Simple enough....but...

      I've got a custom insight variable (via traffic) that can show me full
      URL strings. Yet when I go to extract this data, I have a major issue
      in regards to how Omniture captures each of the URL's. Given the size
      of this website and client, I'm dealing with 10's of thousands of rows
      of URL's. Because the browser will capture several "versions" of the
      same URL and report those as unique, I'm left with having to figure
      out which URL strings to combine in order to come up with my final
      report...which should be...simply...what is stated above. Below is a
      few examples of this:
      EXAMPLE 1:
      1)
      developer.intel.com/design/pcn/servers/index.htm

      2)
      developer.intel.com/design/pcn/servers

      3)
      developer.intel.com/design/pcn/SERVERS
      EXAMPLE 2:
      1)
      ww.intel.com/research/university/st/stmanuproj.htm

      2)
      www.intel.com/research/university/st

      3)
      www.intel.com/research/university

      4)
      www.intel.com/research/university/st/documentation.htm

      I think I can create a translation database on the back end once this
      is exported out of Omniture (writing a series of if/than rules that
      would hopefully match up the URL reported in Omniture to a master
      sheet). But is there a better way? Does anyone have to run reports
      like this? If so...do you have a work around...either with Omniture
      or an internal source?

      Thanks for any suggestions...

      Matt Strain
      Silicon Space, Inc.
    • john clinton
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 11, 2005
        Not sure if this will help with your current
        implementation but you could write a script on the
        page that fixes the URLs before they are passed to
        custom insights... maybe?

        John

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • betsy_r_chase
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 16, 2005
          Have you spoken with Omniture about having them implement a VISTA rule
          to clean up the urls before they get to the report suite?

          I'm curious as to how your s_prop capturing the url works for you. We
          have a problem with the url getting truncated and if I could populate
          another variable with the url string to get the whole thing I would.
          Any thoughts?

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, john clinton <john1clinton@y...>