Unique Pageviews in GA vs Visits in Omniture

  • Sugam Khokhani
    Message 1 of 3 , May 20, 2014
      Hello All,

      By definition, unique pageviews in GA is calculated using the Page Title and URL.

      Issue-
      We have omniture and GA tracking codes on 2000+ sites. We track 2000+ sites with the same site structure in a single GA and omniture account. There is an inventory page where users interact with filters on the page which results in a page reload with the query params added to the URL

      e.g.- First load of the page = abc.com/page1
              after filter interaction= abc.com/page1?interaction=xyz

      Even though we have URL query params within the URL, we just send the absolute path. So in case of above example, the Page value in GA is "/page1/".

      Considering the above, for the inventory page, the Unique pageviews in GA are way too high compared to the  visits in omniture.

      Is it because GA still looks at the URL with the query param (and not just the absolute path)? Also, the page title will vary depending on what site (out of 2000+ sites) is accessed by the user.

      If the above is true, is there a solution to get the actual visits for the inventory page in GA?

      Regards,
      Sugam
    • Béate Vervaecke
      Message 2 of 3 , May 21, 2014
        In the settings of the view, you can indicate to drop the parameter “interaction” in your reports.
        If you don’t need that parameter for analyses, it’s worth considering.
        Try it on a test view first.

        Béate Vervaecke

        e.g.- First load of the page = abc.com/page1<http://abc.com/page1>
        after filter interaction= abc.com/page1?interaction=xyz<http://abc.com/page1?interaction=xyz>

        Message 3 of 3 , May 21, 2014
          Thanks for the response Béate.

          As I mentioned, we are dropping the params at our end in the coding so only the absolute path goes to GA. Do I still need to add the params in admin settings for GA to ignore?

          Thanks,
          Sugam

          Sent from my iPhone