Google is hiding paid search query from all 3rd party tools

  • maxfatter123
    Message 1 of 12 , May 7, 2014

      I just found out that Google will no longer be providing Paid Search Keywords to all 3rd party analytic tools, including Google Analytics, saying it is for privacy reason.

      The only place where it is available is AdWord, which is the very tool you bit the keywords.  I want to hear what you guys think about this? how does this impact your analysis.

      In my world, I often do targeted banner campaigns on homepage based on keywords that lets to the site. For example, if the search query contains 'iphone', I will show products related to iphones on the homepage.  Now it becomes very difficult to do the same kind of thing because Google is no longer providing the search query.

      In my opinion, I think Google just doesn't want people to have a 3rd party view to audit how their traffic is performing, that's why they are doing it.  It is not privacy, it is business. We paid Google for the traffic, and only Google can tell us how the traffic is doing.  This seem like an unfair practice to me.

      What do you guys think?

    • Matt Curtis

        Message 3 of 12 , May 7, 2014
          Hi Maxfatter,

          Could you provide further detail about this? Is it disabled for PPC or organic search?

          - Davis Che

          On May 7, 2014, at 4:47 AM, <maxfatter@...> <maxfatter@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Kush Soni
          Message 4 of 12 , May 7, 2014

            @Davis: yes this for PPC. More details are here on adobe blog: http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalmarketing/analytics/say-goodbye-paid-search-terms-google/

            Confirmation is available at Google blog too.

            @Matt: You still able to see the data in GA with Adwords integration J. This is the trick her.

            @Max: This is not as bad as organic keywords, thank God. To solve the personalisation objective you can start using campaign code. The only thing you need to do is to create a campaign code which will have the identifier on the basis of what you can change the content in the banner, there could be some time lag for this to happen but I don’t think it will be a big problem. Further to this you can use same campaign codes to identify keywords people are using to reach to your website. This will further require you to upload the classification value via SAINT.

            Tracking code (Key) ,  Keyword (look up value) and further any information if required.

            --

            Cheers!
            - K -
            Message 5 of 12 , May 7, 2014
              Look here:

              You can still append Google's ValueTrack parameter {keyword} to your target URL. This will pass the ppc keyword (not the search term) that triggered the ad to your landing page.

              Yes, search terms are still available via the search query report in Google Adwords. But conversion tracking for ppc search terms when using third party tools becomes more difficult because you can't match the conversion to the search term. You no longer get that information during landing.

              Birger

              Sent from iPhone. Please excuse any typos.

[...]

            • Shawna Martin
              Message 6 of 12 , May 7, 2014

                Google Webmaster tools still provides a limited amount of queries.

                LMI ADVERTISING

                Shawna Martin

                Financial Controller

                LMI Advertising

                24E East Roseville Road

                Lancaster, PA 17601

                smartin@...

                P 717-569-8826 X21

                F 717-569-9463

                FOLLOW US:    t  f

              • Jagruti
                Message 7 of 12 , May 7, 2014
                  Hi Birger,

                  I think Google is responding to the beating it got for favoring to share info on paid search. So now it is withdrawing info from third party tools. In a way it is maintaining all its money making sources internally. So if you are using Google in-house products you still get access to keyword info. With the constant changes it always affects brands, service providers and experts drastically. It is to be seen where this leaves tools like Marin? Considering so many companies are using it and what happens to its revenue stream. Companies like conductor should watch out as to how Google would try to threaten their business in the future...

                  I would love to blog about this subject on my blog- http://www.adwebspark.com

                  Thanks for starting this discussion,

                  Jagruti

                  On Wednesday, May 7, 2014 1:13 PM, Birger Friedrichs <bf@...> wrote:

[...]

                • Greg Moore
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 7, 2014
                    bid your adwords keywords in exact match

                    Gregory Moore
                    San Francisco

                    On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 1:47 AM, <maxfatter@...> wrote:

[...]

                  • Adrian Coutin
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 8, 2014
                      Hi folks,

                      I have another approach to this problem.. our right !! The big problem that we are dealing with google policy is our right to information and something that we are not thinking... the value of information !!

                      Yes, our situation with keywords demands, and the knowledge about how people is searching for information is connected to the value of information... Could you imagine a financial market without shares information? Demands? The problem is the Google is the owner of the share market and they can hide demands that in an information society is money and business.

                      It is my general point of this problem.. so...I guess that we are going to see more restrict policies in tha access to the value of information.

                      cheers

                      Adrian

                    • maxfatter123
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 8, 2014
                        We are looking for the entire visitor journey of a keyword, not just a list of queries. Google's webmaster tool is what it is intended for, webmaster.  To analyst and marketers, we just got a lot less information compare to what we used to have.  Google's motto is 'Do No Evil', which part of providing paid search query to destination site owner is evil?
                      • Shawna Martin
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 8, 2014

                          I really miss that feature as well. It is the first thing clients ask for. My point with webmaster tools is that it is better than nothing at all. It isn’t that great.

                          LMI ADVERTISING

                          Shawna Martin

                          Financial Controller

                          LMI Advertising

                          24E East Roseville Road

                          Lancaster, PA 17601

                          smartin@...

                          P 717-569-8826 X21

                          F 717-569-9463

                          FOLLOW US:    t  f

                        • jonasmn
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 20, 2014
                            Hey what is your source?  I agree with you...Google is making another step in the wrong direction leaving us in the blind.