GA reporting more Unique Visitors than Visits on specific pages

  • baphil78
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 15, 2014
      Good afternoon,

      I recently ran into a problem in Google Analytics when I look at Vists and Unique Visitors with Page as my dimension.  For some reason, the aggregate numbers seem right, but for individual pages GA is reporting that there are far more Unique Visitors than there are Visits to a particular page.  This makes no sense.  Am I missing something simple here, or is the a problem others have encountered?  Here is a screen shot.  Any ideas?  Thank you.

    • Andy
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 15, 2014
        Here's an explanation on Google's help section:

        https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2934985?hl=en

        -Andy Chun

        I recently ran into a problem in Google Analytics when I look at Vists and Unique Visitors with Page as my dimension.  For some reason, the aggregate numbers seem right, but for individual pages GA is reporting that there are far more Unique Visitors than there are Visits to a particular page.  This makes no sense.  Am I missing something simple here, or is the a problem others have encountered?  Here is a screen shot.  Any ideas?  Thank you.

      • Béate Vervaecke
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 15, 2014
          Visits in combination with the dimension page, are only counted when the page is a landing page. You can compare the numbers with the entrances and see that they match.

          Béate Vervaecke
          @beatever<http://twitter.com/beatever>

          I recently ran into a problem in Google Analytics when I look at Vists and Unique Visitors with Page as my dimension. For some reason, the aggregate numbers seem right, but for individual pages GA is reporting that there are far more Unique Visitors than there are Visits to a particular page. This makes no sense. Am I missing something simple here, or is the a problem others have encountered? Here is a screen shot. Any ideas? Thank you.

          [Image removed by sender.]

        • andremafei
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 16, 2014
            Béate is right. "Visits" and "Unique visitors" don't work with "Page", you need to use "Pageviews" and "Unique Pageviews". Example (screenshot): https://www.dropbox.com/s/2og3eeaozzf9pku/2014-04-16%20-%20page%20x%20unique%20visitors.png

            André Mafei
            Upmize.com.br

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 16, 2014
              Thank you all.  That now makes sense, and I'll be sure to use Unique Pageviews in lieu visits to talk about in how many sessions was this page viewed.