Facebook applications -- does that traffic have a referrer?

  • Katy Norris
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 11, 2014
      In Adobe Analytics we are getting a whole lot of traffic that has our Facebook tracking code on it but is coming in with no referrer.

      I don't think it's all from non-web client email (Outlook, etc.)

      Does anyone know if traffic from Facebook aps CAN come in without a referrer?

      Katy Norris | Director, Analytics & Online Support
      TakePart.com | ParticipantMedia.com | Pivot.tv
    • Adam Berlinger
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 12, 2014
        Why do you need a referrer when you have the tracking code?

        Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 12, 2014
          I agree with Adam that the tracking code should be enough. But if you or your users insist on getting this traffic in the referrer bucket, you could try the processing rules feature in Adobe Analytics.

          Andy Chun

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 12, 2014
            Tracking is never enough for certain clients.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 14, 2014
              Hi All,

              Thanks for your thoughts.  The question is "Why does so much of our fb tracking traffic have NO referring domain?" I always explained it with the following scenario:
              1. User clicks on FB post that includes a FB tracking code (Tracking Code = FB, Referring Domain = Facebook.com)
              2. User copies and pastes the URL, including the FB tracking code, into an email and sends to friends
              3. Friends click on the link from an email application like Outlook (Tracking code = fb, Referring Domain = NULL)
              However, we're getting SO much of this sort of traffic it seems highly unlikely that it's all coming from organic email shares.

              Thus, I'm wondering if it's coming from Facebook applications on smart phones... The previous times I've tested it, that traffic comes through with an m.facebook.com referrer.

              Wondering if anyone else can validate. I'll let you know what I find.

              Katy

              P.S. Yes we have our marketing channel processing rules set up to attribute all traffic with a FB tracking code to "Social" regardless of referring domain.

              From: Celeste Markham <celestemm@...>
              Date: Saturday, April 12, 2014 11:36 AM
              To: "webanalytics@yahoogroups.com" <webanalytics@yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 25, 2014
                Hi Katy

                I'm not really sure if my comments is "related" to your question, but could be useful.

                I understand that the referral data is passed through browsers, only when both pages (the referral page and the landing page) are on the "http" protocol (not on httpS protocol). That said, I think you're not receiving referral because that, no referral data is being sent.

                Maybe (I could be wrong) you're receiving traffic from site with https protocol so, none referral data will be captured.

                Look at that. I hope you find it useful.

                Richard

              • Katy Norris
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 28, 2014
                  Thanks Richard! Great article. I did some more digging� it seems like:

                  1. The "direct" traffic is definitely largely from mobile Facebook aps
                  2. Whether the traffic from mobile aps comes through as being from "facebook" or without a referrer (Direct) may be determined by the device, assuming about the same % of users of each device use the mobile version of the site vs. the ap

                  If this forum supports images, here's a table:

                  [cid:E167FBF0-6DBD-4EA4-8979-C1E7D33ED93B]

                  Thanks again,
                  Katy

                  From: "rjohnsonh@...<mailto:rjohnsonh@...>" <rjohnsonh@...<mailto:rjohnsonh@...>>
                  Date: Friday, April 25, 2014 2:56 PM
                  To: "webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics@yahoogroups.com>" <webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics@yahoogroups.com>>

                  You can find more info about this here: http://www.webanalyticsworld.net/2013/03/4000-clicks-and-only-2000-visits-a-case-of-referrer-amnesia.html<http://www.webanalyticsworld.net/2013/03/4000-clicks-and-only-2000-visits-a-case-of-referrer-amnesia.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+WebAnalyticsWorld+%28Web+Analytics+World%29&utm_content=Netvibes>