Campaign Tracking: Different Parameter or Different Values for identifying Channels (Email, Paid, Banner)?

  • kashifonanalytics
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2014

      Hi,

      I wanted to get a feel for how people are setting up their campaign tracking.  In the past, I've seen single parameter (?cid=) with different values to identify campaign channels but with the growing suite or products from different vendors and segmentation capabilities, wondering if more and more people are switching to unique parameters (cid_ps; cid_em; cid_bn) to identify channels.

      Thanks,

      Kashif

    • craigdscribner
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 10, 2014

        This is a good point Kashif. I'm seeing this more and more. In fact, I had to restructure the tracking code generator I built, which originally was set up to allow only one parameter (e.g., cmp) per report (eg., campaigns). Now we allow the parameter to be associated with the specific pattern within the report the user's basing new codes upon, so if the social media team needs their own parameter, they can have it.

        I'd still say that 80-90 percent of folks are still doing it the other way, but I definitely see it shifting.

        best regards,

        Craig