Tracking campaigns both on Google Analytics and Omniture

  • sibel
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 11, 2013
      Hi guys,
      I want to hear your best practices tracking campaigns both in Google Analytics and OMniture.

      I have a client who is going to use Omniture and they were using GA so far.

      So I am planning to add UTM to Adwords links and then I will track them in OMniture through these parameters.

      Have you had such experience? IF so what you can recommend me?

      thanks
      sibel
    • Chris Walsh
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 11, 2013
        Hi Sibel,

        Good question, especially how each on has different pros and cons.  I tried to cover some of these best practices in our whitepaper on campaign management best practices.  You can right click the PDF on our website and download the guide.  Feel free to take a look and let me know if you have additional questions.
        http://bit.ly/17NHEr5

        Chris

        On Monday, November 11, 2013 2:18 PM, Allaedin Ezzedin <allaedin@...> wrote:

        Hi Sibel,

        List of features:

        EASY ACCESS:
        CampaignAlyzer is a web-based application that acts as a central repository platform where organizations can store their marketing campaign values in one database. This way, marketing agencies and digital marketers across an organization can collaborate in tagging different online and offline campaigns, and ensure consistency in their campaign tagging.

        TRACKING CAMPAIGNS ACROSS MULTIPLE ANALYTICS TOOLS:
        If your organization is using multiple web analytics tools to track your web traffic, then it is more than likely that the five default Google Analytics UTM parameters are not sufficient, and you need extra parameters to pass campaign information to the additional analytics tool.
        CampaignAlyzer offers this option and allows you to specify a sixth query parameter to use to push campaign information to your desired analytics tool. You may opt to leave blank if not needed.

        CLEAN CHANNEL REPORTS:
        CampaignAlyzer ensures tagging consistency by providing a “how to” tagging model for application users. Users can conveniently reference previous values and campaigns as a future guide.
        CampaignAlyzer also ensures clean channel reports by restricting users to pre-defined mediums for tagging. Only administrators have access to adjust the channels/mediums list.

        ROLE-BASED ACCESS:
        CampaignAlyzer allows account owners and administrators to easily set up any number of users the plan selected allows and grant them the account access privileges desired.
        Users are either 1) administrators who have full access to all campaigns and account settings 2) editors who can add, remove and edit campaigns 3) or read-only users who can simply view reports.

        ANNOTATIONS:
        With CampaignAlyzer, users can annotate campaigns for future reference and clarify questions about the campaign. Annotations are stored in our database, so there is open access to all the latest information about any given campaign.

        TAGGED URL CASE:
        Campaign parameters can come in a mixture of upper and lower case due to inconsistent tagging naming convention. This can cause visits to be spread out over different entries in the traffic sources report, which makes analysis more difficult. CampaignAlyzer provides the option to force all campaign parameters to lower case, consolidating entries and making for easier reporting and analysis.

        BULK CAMPAIGN MANAGEMENT:
        This advanced feature is specifically useful for large-scale campaign management. With bulk campaign management, you can easily move campaigns that are created using other programs, such as Microsoft Excel or Google Docs, and import them into CampaignAlyzer.
        This powerful feature is guaranteed to make your job easier.

        DATA EXPORT:
        Organizations may want to share campaigns and tagged URLs with third party marketing agencies, without granting them access to the tool. CampaignAlyzer solves this issue by providing a platform for exporting campaigns into Excel, CSV and tab delimited files.

        ATTRIBUTION MODEL:
        Some organizations prefer to attribute their online conversions to the very first campaign, instead of the most recent. Google Analytics, by default, attributes the conversion to the most recent campaign.
        CampaignAlyzer provides the option to track use by either model. If the first-touch tracking model is preferred, CampaignAlyzer will append the “utm_nooverride=1“ query parameter to the end of all tagged URLs.

        ANALYTICS-TOOL AGNOSTIC:
        While initially designed to strictly manage marketing campaigns that are tracked by Google Analytics, CampaignAlyzer now has the feature that makes it an analytics-tool agnostic. So if your organization is already using different tracking variables other than the default Google Analytics parameters to tag your online links, you can now map these existing variables to Google Analytics’ campaign tracking variables.
        CampaignAlyzer has the flexibility to use any campaign tracking variables you prefer. For example, your campaign tracking variables may use “keyword” instead of “utm_term” to identify the keyword or use “cid” instead of “utm_campaign” to identify the campaign name.

        URL SHORTENER:
        CampaignAlyzer utilizes the Google URL shortening service [goo.gl] for easy URL sharing and distribution across social media and other marketing channels. This service provides the option of using a short version of tagged destination URLs.

        Good Luck,
        Allaedin

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 12, 2013

            Hi Sibel!

            I've seen some companies simply mirror their GA reports as Omniture classifications, and then set their s_code logic to combine those parameters into a single Tracking Code. If you're careful in how you do it, you can set it up to auto-classify those codes using the Rule Builder.

            I was wondering what to write this week as a blog-post, and this would be a fun step-by-step to put together! I'll post a link once I write it up! :)

            Even though I don't think this is an optimal usage of Omniture's SAINT technology, the flexibility of SAINT actually creates as many problems as it solves, since it requires that every new tracking code be fully classified if those reports are to remain viable--and that's a tight rope with no safety net. So if you're managing multiple vendors, the best solution might be one that's the least complicated, even if it sacrifices some of the richness you want in your campaign reports.

            best regards,
            Craig
          • craigdscribner
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 13, 2013
              I have just posted a longer-than-expected blog article outlining how I recommend you merge your Google Analytics campaigns into your Omniture reports: http://bit.ly/171lqRE . In short, I use a plugin plus the new Rule Builder to replicate the GA reports exactly inside of Adobe Analytics. And the coolest part is that the ongoing collection and classification processes are fully automated--one hundred percent!

              This was a fun project Sibel! Thanks for inspiring me to lay it down!

              best regards,
              Craig
            • Katy Norris
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 13, 2013
                Great post!

                We use Adobe as our primary and GA as secondary (legacy). All our tracking codes are Adobe specific, but I've been thinking of updating our GA campaign variable from utm_campaign to use our Adobe cid, so that our Adobe codes will get pulled into GA too, at least into the Campaign variable, if not the others.

                Katy Norris | Director of Analytics TakePart 310.246.7761 | C 323.683.6086 | IM katynorris15
                331 Foothill Rd, 3rd Floor Beverly Hills, CA 90210 | TakePart.com

                ParticipantMedia.com