Data Integrity Testing After Website Upgrades

  • gitzes
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 25, 2013
      Hello all,

      I work at a company with a large website.  There are frequent releases/upgrades to the site which include many pages, most of which are behind a firewall that I cannot access.

      When these upgrades take place it is possible that some of the analytic tracking code will break.  Since I cannot manually check each page using Charles or Fiddler, and Wasp cannot reach all of the pages existing behind the firewall, I need a method to ensure data is still being collected properly without these tools.  Has anybody found a solution to a similar problem?  I am using SiteCatalyst.  Thank you.
    • Bob Willis
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 25, 2013
        I have used ObservePoint in the past and it worked very well. If I remember correctly the software will tell which pages do not have your analytics js on them, now as to if tagging is broke, ie, button clicks, etc not implemented correctly, it does not test that.

        Subject: [webanalytics] Data Integrity Testing After Website Upgrades
        To: webanalytics@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 25, 2013

          Thank you for the reply Bob.  I am more concerned with being able to take a zoomed out view of the data and looking for anomalies that will show that my collection is flawed.  Currently I look at the daily Pg views, Visits, and Visitors for the past month's weekdays and set an alert that informs me if any of those metrics go outside of 2 standard deviations of the previous months data in a day.  I am looking for methods like this that the community uses, specifically using SiteCatalyst. Thank you.

          To: webanalytics@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 27, 2013
            Hi gitzes,

            There are a few technical and less technical ways to test (sorry, IDK of any non-technical ways).
            1) If your QA/testing team uses their own automated testing platform, have them enable the JS and report on any pages not calling out to the URL of your data collector (note a call doesn't have to have a successful response, it just has to be made).
            2) Have your developers add it to any automated/scripted code review tool
            3) If there are any common elements to the page, the code should really be injected there. You shouldn't have multiple copies of your base tracking code in multiple templates/views. Ensuring it's added from a universally used place in the site's code should ensure you catch the vast majority of use cases.
            4) In your QA/test environment, have your DevOps/Systems team route requests to the data collector internally to a simple logger and vet the results against pages tested.
            5) Depending on your technology stack, environment settings, and analytics platform, there may be a handful of other options. Those above are the most generic.

            Shameless plug: if you need help designing or implementing a solution, please don't hesitate to reach out to me or someone on my team. We can totally help you with this.

            Patrick Mazzotta
            President & Co-Founder
            Craedone Technologies Inc.
            1.888.663.7794