GA without Java?

  • Jim Sterne
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2013
      A friend of mine recently asked:
      Got any idea how to use Google Analytics (or any other brand of analytics) when
      you can't use JavaScript or anything else other standard HTML?

      I truthfully replied:
      Nope.

      He then informed me that:
      The Google Analytics JavaScript code generates a request for a single pixel from
      Google with a whole load of parameters in the request. That would seem to make
      it possible to construct a simple HTML image request to make Google Analytics
      work when you can't add JavaScript to a page ...which is often the case when
      someone else owns the blogging platform and blocks JavaScript embedded in posts.
      But how?
      I told him:
      I think I know some people who can answer that.

      Anybody like to tell me what to tell him??

      Jim Sterne jsterne@...
      +1 805 965 3184 x 4
      Founder eMetrics Summit http://www.emetrics.org/
      Author Social Media Metrics http://bit.ly/SocialMetrics
      Chairman Digital Analytics Association
      http://www.digitalanalyticsassociation.org
      Blog http://emetrics.wordpress.com/
      @jimsterne http://twitter.com/jimsterne

    • Coskun Tasoluk
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2013
        Technically, he is right. You can send an image request to Google in the
        img tag. However, the key is a whole load of parameters. You can not
        generate them without javascript in a simple static html. You will be
        passing pretty much the same information again again if you able to pass to
        Google.

        Thanks,
        Coskun

        On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 4:38 PM, Jim Sterne <jsterne@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > A friend of mine recently asked:
        > Got any idea how to use Google Analytics (or any other brand of analytics)
        > when
        > you can't use JavaScript or anything else other standard HTML?
        >
        > I truthfully replied:
        > Nope.
        >
        > He then informed me that:
        > The Google Analytics JavaScript code generates a request for a single
        > pixel from
        > Google with a whole load of parameters in the request. That would seem to
        > make
        > it possible to construct a simple HTML image request to make Google
        > Analytics
        > work when you can't add JavaScript to a page ...which is often the case
        > when
        > someone else owns the blogging platform and blocks JavaScript embedded in
        > posts.
        > But how?
        > I told him:
        > I think I know some people who can answer that.
        >
        > Anybody like to tell me what to tell him??

        > Jim Sterne jsterne@...
        > +1 805 965 3184 x 4
        > Founder eMetrics Summit http://www.emetrics.org/
        > Author Social Media Metrics http://bit.ly/SocialMetrics
        > Chairman Digital Analytics Association
        > http://www.digitalanalyticsassociation.org
        > Blog http://emetrics.wordpress.com/
        > @jimsterne http://twitter.com/jimsterne

      • oschiffers
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2013
          Hi Jim,
          this is technically possible, you have to dynamically construct via another script language or CMS the necessary call to the GA server (utm.gif) The parameters that are used are pretty much well documented but it needs some cookie handling in the script language. See https://developers.google.com/analytics/resources/articles/gaTrackingTroubleshooting?hl=de&csw=1 at the bottom for a full list of parameters to use.
          It should work but the effort seems to high.
          I also one day saw a web service that allows you to include a non-javascript call on your pages and the service will do the necessary GA call, point your friend to this also: http://nojsstats.blogspot.de/2009/09/free-google-analytics-without.html
          See you in Berlin ;) - And say hello to Margaret and Alexandra in Boston!
          Oliver

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, <webanalytics@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

        • andremafei
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2013
            Hi guys, there is an official solution for that, with even examples in PHP, JSP, ASP.net, Perl.

            https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/other/mobileWebsites

            Have fun!

            André Mafei
            Upmize.com.br