Simple Web Analytics - Exclusively with Server Side Includes ( SSI )

  • y_ambassador
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 29, 2005
      -------
      Jul 29, 2005

      Before launching the development of a simple, SSI-based (Server Side
      Includes) web analytics tool, it seems a good idea to ask those in
      this forum whether or not there already is such a tool.

      Specifically, this inquiry pertains to Apache directives (Apache SSIs)
      used to provide simple web analytics. A set of Apache directives
      would be "pasted" into the web pages associated with the website.

      Has anyone used SSIs - exclusively - to provide elementary web
      analytics?

      Ambassador
      -------
    • Fred Kuu
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 29, 2005
        Ambassador,
        What can SSI provide that is not already in the access logs?

        -Fred

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "y_ambassador" <ambassador_@b...>
        wrote:
        > -------
        > Jul 29, 2005
        >
        > Before launching the development of a simple, SSI-based (Server Side
        > Includes) web analytics tool, it seems a good idea to ask those in
        > this forum whether or not there already is such a tool.
        >
        > Specifically, this inquiry pertains to Apache directives (Apache SSIs)
        > used to provide simple web analytics. A set of Apache directives
        > would be "pasted" into the web pages associated with the website.
        >
        > Has anyone used SSIs - exclusively - to provide elementary web
        > analytics?
        >
        > Ambassador
        > -------
      • y_ambassador
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 29, 2005
          -------
          Jul 29, 2005

          Learning the answer to that question is one of the reasons for
          posting this topic. Another reason for posting centers around
          whether or not such an SSI-based tool already exists.

          It seems to me that an SSI-based tool can be fashioned to offer
          simple, real-time web analytics via a very easy to use website
          interface.

          Ambassador
          -------

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Kuu" <fkuu325@y...> wrote:
          > Ambassador,
          > What can SSI provide that is not already in the access logs?
          >
          > -Fred
          >
          > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "y_ambassador"
          <ambassador_@b...>
          > wrote:
          > > -------
          > > Jul 29, 2005
          > >
          > > Before launching the development of a simple, SSI-based (Server
          Side
          > > Includes) web analytics tool, it seems a good idea to ask those
          in
          > > this forum whether or not there already is such a tool.
          > >
          > > Specifically, this inquiry pertains to Apache directives (Apache
          SSIs)
          > > used to provide simple web analytics. A set of Apache
          directives
          > > would be "pasted" into the web pages associated with the
          website.

          > > Has anyone used SSIs - exclusively - to provide elementary web
          > > analytics?
          > >
          > > Ambassador
          > > -------
        • Kanishka
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 29, 2005
            Hi there Ambassdor,

            I agree with Fred with Apache server side directives
            you are looking at rudimentary log based analyses.
            There are definite pros and cons to that. Cons >>
            Pros.
            What kind of attributes are you trying to capture?

            --- Fred Kuu <fkuu325@...> wrote:

            > Ambassador,
            > What can SSI provide that is not already in the
            > access logs?
            >
            > -Fred
            >
            > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "y_ambassador"
            > <ambassador_@b...>
            > wrote:
            > > -------
            > > Jul 29, 2005
            > >
            > > Before launching the development of a simple,
            > SSI-based (Server Side
            > > Includes) web analytics tool, it seems a good idea
            > to ask those in
            > > this forum whether or not there already is such a
            > tool.
            > >
            > > Specifically, this inquiry pertains to Apache
            > directives (Apache SSIs)
            > > used to provide simple web analytics. A set of
            > Apache directives
            > > would be "pasted" into the web pages associated
            > with the website.
            > >
            > > Has anyone used SSIs - exclusively - to provide
            > elementary web
            > > analytics?
            > >
            > > Ambassador
            > > -------

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • john marshall
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 31, 2005
              I may have missed something in this thread, so forgive the possibility of a
              mistake here:

              The usual use of SSI would be to include the JavaScript (nee Page Tag) that
              then pings the server and thus collects the data. The fact one is using SSI
              is irrelevant. It could be included via copy/paste into all the source files
              and it would have the same effect. SSI simply makes the process easier.

              So surely the question goes back to: How can one use JavaScript to collect
              raw analytics data without paying for it. IIRC Bellacoola used to offer a
              low cost JavaScript service that generates a W3C logfile. That might be a
              good starting point.

              John Marshall

              www.clicktracks.com