Re: Opening a link in a new window vs. back button

  • VaBeachKevin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2013
      You are correct that it will increase your pages viewed per visit, but in this instance its OK. If the visitor goes to the search results page, then decides to view one of the results, then decides to view the search results page again, then it is correct to count an additional page view for that page. Regardless if the visitor clicks the back button to get there or clicks to view the tab that has that page loaded, their intention is to view that page again and it should be counted as such.

      Now I would not recommend having the results open in new pages mainly because it will screw up any pathing analysis you are trying to do. Lets look at a visitors path for both scenarios.
      Visitors path when counting the search results page each time:
      1. Home Page
      2. Search Results Page
      3. Content Page A
      4. Search Results Page
      5. Content Page B
      6. Search Results Page
      7. Content Page C

      Visitors path when not counting the search results page each time:
      1. Home Page
      2. Search Results Page
      3. Content Page A
      4. Content Page B
      5. Content Page C

      You can see that while the second scenario counts less page views, it also does not give us the true path the visitor took through the site. We don't know if they found those additional content pages from going back to the search results, or from links within the other content pages. I would recommend to keep it all in one window, and count the additional page views.

      Kevin Rogers
      @VaBeachKevin