Omniture SiteCatalyst - PageViews Formula ?

  • Raj Hadoop
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 30 9:59 AM
      Hello everyone,

      I am new to web analytics and I have a requirement to calculate PageViews from Omniture web log files. I am a bit confused with this web metric.

      I have the raw data in a file with the columns like Visitor Id High , Vistior Id Low ,Visit Page Number , New Visit , custom variable ( Evar1 ) which is the customer number.

      My requirement is to calculate Page Views for Customer Number.

      The combination of Visitor Id High and Vistior Id Low defines one unique identifier for a visitor in Omniture.

      ####1) Sample Test Data for Customer Number - 200007
      Visitor Id High , Vistior Id Low ,Visit Page Number , New Visit , Evar1
      100,200,1,1,200007
      100,200,1,2,200007
      100,200,1,3,200007
      100,200,1,4,200007
      300,500,1,1,200007
      300,500,1,2,200007
      300,500,1,3,200007

      Page Views = 4+3 = 7.

      Question 1) -Is the above Page Views calculation correct ?

      ###2) Sample Test Data for Customer Number - 200007 and 200008 ( Both are husband and wife)
      Visitor Id High , Vistior Id Low ,Visit Page Number , New Visit , Evar1
      100,200,1,1,200007
      100,200,1,2,200007
      100,200,1,3,200007
      100,200,1,4,200007
      100,200,1,5,200008
      100,200,1,6,200008
      100,200,1,7,200008

      Question 2) - What are the Page Views for 200007? - Should it be based on Omnitire's vistior id high and low (100,200) or should it be on the actual customer number. In the above example, both customers belong to same house hold.

      Thanks,
      Raj

    • loveandsqualor2001
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 30 3:38 PM
        I think you need to count instances of the page view event id in the data feed file. The events are listed out in the aptly named event_list field.

        First you need to find out which event id corresponds to a page view in your implementation. This can be found in the events look up table file. It should have been provided along with the log file you're using. In our implementation, it's 205.

        Assuming you've loaded the data into some kind of database, here is simple query for counting page views by evar1 (where page views = event id 205)

        SELECT
        post_evar1
        sum(if(event_list like '%205%', 1,0)) as PageViews
        FROM
        omniture_log_file
        GROUP BY
        post_evar1;

        Notice I'm using post_evar1, which is the persisting value. You'll miss page views otherwise.

        Hope his helps.
        Ken

        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Raj Hadoop <hadoopraj@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > I am new to web analytics and I have a requirement to calculate PageViews from Omniture web log files. I am a bit confused with this web metric.
        >
        > I have the raw data in a file with the columns like Visitor Id High , Vistior Id Low ,Visit Page Number , New Visit , custom variable ( Evar1 ) which is the customer number.
        >
        > My requirement is to calculate Page Views for Customer Number.
        >
        > The combination of Visitor Id High and Vistior Id Low defines one unique identifier for a visitor in Omniture.
        >
        > ####1) Sample Test Data for Customer Number - 200007
        > Visitor Id High , Vistior Id Low ,Visit Page Number , New Visit , Evar1
        > 100,200,1,1,200007
        > 100,200,1,2,200007
        > 100,200,1,3,200007
        > 100,200,1,4,200007
        > 300,500,1,1,200007
        > 300,500,1,2,200007
        > 300,500,1,3,200007
        >
        > Page Views = 4+3 = 7.
        >
        > Question 1) -Is the above Page Views calculation correct ?
        >
        > ###2) Sample Test Data for Customer Number - 200007 and 200008 ( Both are husband and wife)
        > Visitor Id High , Vistior Id Low ,Visit Page Number , New Visit , Evar1
        > 100,200,1,1,200007
        > 100,200,1,2,200007
        > 100,200,1,3,200007
        > 100,200,1,4,200007
        > 100,200,1,5,200008
        > 100,200,1,6,200008
        > 100,200,1,7,200008
        >
        > Question 2) - What are the Page Views for 200007? - Should it be based on Omnitire's vistior id high and low (100,200) or should it be on the actual customer number. In the above example, both customers belong to same house hold.
        >

        > Thanks,
        > Raj

      • Raj Hadoop
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 31 4:55 AM
          Hi Ken,

          Thank you so much for the mail and the query. I do not see the lookup table 'events' you were mentioning in the web log files. The files I have are

          browser.tsv
          country.tsv
          plugins.tsv
          browser_type.tsv
          hit_data.tsv
          referrer_type.tsv
          color_depth.tsv
          javascript_version.tsv
          resolution.tsv
          column_headers.tsv
          languages.tsv
          search_engines.tsv
          connection_type.tsv
          operating_systems.tsv

          If this file or lookup table doenst exist, how do i find the page views event id that you are mentioning. Can you please advise?

          Regards,
          Raj

          ________________________________
          I think you need to count instances of the page view event id in the data feed file. The events are listed out in the aptly named event_list field.

          First you need to find out which event id corresponds to a page view in your implementation. This can be found in the events look up table file. It should have been provided along with the log file you're using. In our implementation, it's 205.

          Assuming you've loaded the data into some kind of database, here is simple query for counting page views by evar1 (where page views = event id 205)

          SELECT
          post_evar1
          sum(if(event_list like '%205%', 1,0)) as PageViews
          FROM
          omniture_log_file
          GROUP BY
          post_evar1;

          Notice I'm using post_evar1, which is the persisting value. You'll miss page views otherwise.

          Hope his helps.
          Ken

          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Raj Hadoop <hadoopraj@...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone,
          >
          > I am new to web analytics and I have a requirement to calculate PageViews from Omniture web log files. I am a bit confused with this web metric.
          >
          > I have the raw data in a file with the columns like Visitor Id High , Vistior Id Low ,Visit Page Number , New Visit , custom variable ( Evar1 ) which is the customer number.
          >
          > My requirement is to calculate Page Views for Customer Number.
          >
          > The combination of Visitor Id High and Vistior Id Low defines one unique identifier for a visitor in Omniture.
          >
          > ####1) Sample Test Data for Customer Number - 200007
          > Visitor Id High , Vistior Id Low ,Visit Page Number , New Visit , Evar1
          > 100,200,1,1,200007
          > 100,200,1,2,200007
          > 100,200,1,3,200007
          > 100,200,1,4,200007
          > 300,500,1,1,200007
          > 300,500,1,2,200007
          > 300,500,1,3,200007
          >
          > Page Views = 4+3 = 7.
          >
          > Question 1) -Is the above Page Views calculation correct ?
          >
          > ###2) Sample Test Data for Customer Number - 200007 and 200008 ( Both are husband and wife)
          > Visitor Id High , Vistior Id Low ,Visit Page Number , New Visit , Evar1
          > 100,200,1,1,200007
          > 100,200,1,2,200007
          > 100,200,1,3,200007
          > 100,200,1,4,200007
          > 100,200,1,5,200008
          > 100,200,1,6,200008
          > 100,200,1,7,200008
          >
          > Question 2) - What are the Page Views for 200007? - Should it be based on Omnitire's vistior id high and low (100,200) or should it be on the actual customer number. In the above example, both customers belong to same house hold.
          >

          > Thanks,
          > Raj

        • loveandsqualor2001
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 31 6:04 AM
            Hi Raj,

            Do you know which event = page view in your implementation? If not, you'll have to call client care. They should also be able to provide you with the file you need.

            Otherwise you can guess the id of the event. For example, ours is event6. The event ids start at 200 so the event id for event6 is 205.

            Good luck,

          • Raj Hadoop
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 31 6:57 AM
              Hi Ken,

              Thanks again for the reply. I do not know which event is associated with the page view implementation. I will try to find out on that.

              Here are some of the fields I have in hit_data.tsv file related to Pages.
               PAGE_EVENT
              PAGE_EVENT_VAR1
              PAGE_EVENT_VAR2
              PAGE_EVENT_VAR3
              PAGENAME
              PAGE_TYPE
              PAGE_URL

              Do you think any of the above fields can be used ? Are the above fields not universal for Omniture SiteCatalyst or it depends on the implementaiton.

              Thanks,
              Raj

              ________________________________

              --- In mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com, Raj Hadoop <hadoopraj@...> wrote:

              > Hi Ken,
              >
              > Thank you so much for the mail and the query. I do not see the lookup table 'events' you were mentioning in the web log files. The files I have are
              >
              > browser.tsv
              > country.tsv
              > plugins.tsv
              > browser_type.tsv
              > hit_data.tsv
              > referrer_type.tsv
              > color_depth.tsv
              > javascript_version.tsv
              > resolution.tsv
              > column_headers.tsv
              > languages.tsv
              > search_engines.tsv
              > connection_type.tsv
              > operating_systems.tsv
              >
              > If this file or lookup table doenst exist, how do i find the page views event id that you are mentioning. Can you please advise?
              >

              > Regards,
              > Raj
              >

              > ________________________________

            • loveandsqualor2001
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 31 7:37 AM
                The field you want is EVENT_LIST. It's in the query that I included in my original post.

                All events captured will be listed in that field.

                I would call adobe client care to get the event file.

                Thanks

              • Raj Hadoop
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 31 8:31 AM
                  Got it. Thanks again.

                  ________________________________
                  The field you want is EVENT_LIST. It's in the query that I included in my original post.

                  All events captured will be listed in that field.

                  I would call adobe client care to get the event file.

                  Thanks
                  Ken

                  --- In mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com, Raj Hadoop <hadoopraj@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Ken,
                  >
                  > Thanks again for the reply. I do not know which event is associated with the page view implementation. I will try to find out on that.
                  >
                  > Here are some of the fields I have in hit_data.tsv file related to Pages.
                  >  PAGE_EVENT
                  > PAGE_EVENT_VAR1
                  > PAGE_EVENT_VAR2
                  > PAGE_EVENT_VAR3
                  > PAGENAME
                  > PAGE_TYPE
                  > PAGE_URL
                  >
                  > Do you think any of the above fields can be used ? Are the above fields not universal for Omniture SiteCatalyst or it depends on the implementaiton.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Raj
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • gitzes
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 12, 2013
                    Since Omniture collects information each time a page loads, wouldn't each line of information be a page view? If you wanted to do page views by evar1 couldn't you count the instances that evar1= 200007 or 200008?

                  • gamerpatrick
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 13, 2013
                      Nope. SiteCatalyst also fires on lots of events which are not page-views. That is a crazy-dangerous assumption to make!

                      --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "gitzes" <gitzes@...> wrote:

                      > Since Omniture collects information each time a page loads, wouldn't each line of information be a page view? If you wanted to do page views by evar1 couldn't you count the instances that evar1= 200007 or 200008?
                      >
                      > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, Raj Hadoop <hadoopraj@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Got it. Thanks again.
                      > >

                      > > ________________________________

                    • Craig
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 14, 2013
                        Last time I did a data feed project, I found page views by removing rows where the second column contained the value "pe", which signified that it was an on-click capture in Omniture, i.e., it used the s.tl() function instead of the standard s.t() function. Since s.tl() is incapable of incrementing page views, this is a pretty safe strategy.

                        best regards,
                        Craig

                        --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "gamerpatrick" <pmazzotta@...> wrote:

                        > Nope. SiteCatalyst also fires on lots of events which are not page-views. That is a crazy-dangerous assumption to make!
                        >
                        > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com, "gitzes" <gitzes@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Since Omniture collects information each time a page loads, wouldn't each line of information be a page view? If you wanted to do page views by evar1 couldn't you count the instances that evar1= 200007 or 200008?
                      • Katy Norris
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 14, 2013
                          What does "pe" stand for?

                          Katy Norris | Director of Analytics | TakePart | T 310.246.7761 | C 323.683.6086 | IM katynorris15
                          331 Foothill Rd, 3rd Floor | Beverly Hills, CA 90210 | TakePart.com | ParticipantMedia.com

                          From: Craig <craigdscribner@...<mailto:craigdscribner@...>>
                          Date: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 7:52 AM
                          To: "webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics@yahoogroups.com>" <webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics@yahoogroups.com>>

                          --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, "gamerpatrick" <pmazzotta@...> wrote:

                          > Nope. SiteCatalyst also fires on lots of events which are not page-views. That is a crazy-dangerous assumption to make!
                          >
                          > --- In webanalytics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:webanalytics%40yahoogroups.com>, "gitzes" <gitzes@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Since Omniture collects information each time a page loads, wouldn't each line of information be a page view? If you wanted to do page views by evar1 couldn't you count the instances that evar1= 200007 or 200008?

                        • VaBeachKevin
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 15, 2013
                            I'm not 100% sure what it stands for, but I believe I was told that it stands for "Page Event". Regardless of what it exactly stands for, what its going to do is to define the types of image requests that were not page views. So the only time you will have a pe value is for custom link tracking, file downloads, exit links, video tracking calls, etc. Anything other than a page view call.

                            Kevin Rogers
                            @VaBeachKevin